• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Winter Transfer Thread (And Summer Free Transfers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not saying we are signing Martin and if we do I'd be amazed if we paid more than half that amount, but as per earlier in the thread a month or so ago I can assure you we did enquire as to his January availability via Thelwell.

Numbers weren't quoted in the phone call I know about, just that his availability was confirmed for the right deal.

People laughed when we took Bennett from Norwich and called him a carthorse, ditto Ruddy in some quarters.

If Nuno thinks Chris Martin can help get us over the line then I'm on board.

Very much this.

I don't think I have known a season with such a high success rate on signings. Considering the numbers we signed in the summer to only have 1 that hasn't been a success is remarkable and the 1 is due to him being broken since around day 3 of pre-season training.

The other argument you can make in favour of signing Martin is that Nuno has rather improved some of our players

BUT

If another striker comes in I am dead against him being given no. 9 - Leo has earned the right to that shirt next season

The other argument you can make in favour of signing Martin is that Nuno has rather improved some of our players

BUT

If another striker comes in I am dead against him being given no. 9 - Leo has earned the right to that shirt next season

Numbers mean jack now. Leo might not even want it. He could be one of those that has success wearing a number and sticks with it.

He wore no.9 at Al-Hilal

newsenphoto-4926.jpg

Saying that, given the fortunes of various no.9s since Bully in terms of serious injury and/or being/turning shit maybe it's best he sticks with 33!

Saying that, given the fortunes of various no.9s since Bully in terms of serious injury and/or being/turning shit maybe it's best he sticks with 33!

1999/0 - Flo (behind Emblen at one point. Wasn't actually that bad but fell out with Lee at the end of the season and never played for us again)
2000/1 - Ketsbaia (technically Akinbiyi had it originally but we sold him before we played a game. Ketsbaia was one of the all-time pointless Wolves signings. Released a year later)
2001/2 - Proudlock (went fat, grew a mullet, ended up farmed out to Forest near the end of the season)
2002/3 - Blake (broken foot, out for about four months)
2003/4 - Blake (one goal, didn't play after January and we released him)
2004/5 - Ganea (broke in pre-season...I blame Kenny)
2005/6 - Ganea (didn't play in the final three months or so, fell out with Hoddle, punched Kevin O'Connor, released)
2006/7 - Cort (0 goals, one red card, didn't play after about October, released)
2007/8 - Keogh (fans hated him)
2008/9 - SEB
2009/10 - SEB (two goals)
2010/11 - SEB
2011/12 - SEB (one goal)
2012/13 - SEB (broken leg, effectively finishing his pro career in any meaningful sense, released)
2013/14 - Griffiths/Clarke (fucking Leon)
2014/15 - Clarke (fucking Leon, released)
2015/16 - Dicko (broke after four games)
2016/17 - Dicko (three goals)
2017/18 - Dicko (sold in August)

Not a great track record! Though Hoddle and Ganea...that's one of those that still annoys me.

Saw a video the other week of our 3-0 win at Derby in Nov 2005. Man, Vio was top class that night. Top footballer.

Thanks for that, I had hoped you would compile a list of of them and their varying fortunes! This is why I think we should retire it in honour of Bully!

How highly would you rate Carvalho compared to Jota, Costa, Cavaleiro etc?

He hasn't had the time to shine like some others, but neither did Costa. The general opinion of Carvalho is very high.

However, all of those fall a bit when compared to Jota, he's a grade above the rest.

Numbers mean jack now. Leo might not even want it. He could be one of those that has success wearing a number and sticks with it.

That's just getting older and being a traditionalist. Sure Frank and a few others would agree with me. We like our centre-forwards to wear no. 9

And whose job is it to slice the half-time oranges??

People laughed when we took Bennett from Norwich and called him a carthorse, ditto Ruddy in some quarters.

Leo would be shit playing for Derby, the way they play now doesn't suit Martin so he has rightly fallen out of favor. I think if we can get him for a couple of million and he initially plays back up to Leo with cup games to prove himself I think it is excellent business.

I am also aware im very much in the minority with this opinion.

Martin as a player is a much better fit than some of the other strikers we are being linked with ie Grabban, Gayle etc.... most of it is probably nonsense but the type of player is just as important as the ability of the player if that makes sense.

Leo would be shit playing for Derby, the way they play now doesn't suit Martin so he has rightly fallen out of favor. I think if we can get him for a couple of million and he initially plays back up to Leo with cup games to prove himself I think it is excellent business.

I am also aware im very much in the minority with this opinion.

Martin as a player is a much better fit than some of the other strikers we are being linked with ie Grabban, Gayle etc.... most of it is probably nonsense but the type of player is just as important as the ability of the player if that makes sense.

I agree with this, whilst i would prefer someone "sexier" i wouldn't be disappointed if we picked Martin up for a max of 3million.

I would. Martin is only on the way down IMO. He's not as good as he was a few seasons ago. We should be aiming for a lot better.

I would. Martin is only on the way down IMO. He's not as good as he was a few seasons ago. We should be aiming for a lot better.

Completely agree with this. He doesn't have the mobility to play in our front 3 and I'm not sure his attitude is the greatest. Thelwell being Thelwell he is thinking Championship when Jorge and Nuno are thinking PL.

To play devils advocate here, if you look at what the Saudi fans think of Leo and his form for Al-Hilal (16 goals in a season at that level is not really that impressive) you might have said that would be a terrible signing, I know many were a bit bewildered until we saw him play.

Fact is his style of play didn't really suit them so he probably wasn't as good, he has come to Wolves who play a style of football that suits him completely and he has excelled.

Now onto Martin, he is 29 so hardly over the hill I am not aware he has had any nasty injuries such as Dicko etc.. to ruin him so he should still have plenty left in the tank. That type of player, holding up the ball, clever flicks etc... should do very very well with the likes of Jota, Cav & Costa running around him.

time will tell and perhaps we are looking at far better, either way I trust Nuno to make the right decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back