• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Winter Transfer Thread (And Summer Free Transfers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like the info on Carvalho by the way, it’s nice to get some perspective. If he’s as good as you say, hopefully he’ll come this way.

I saw a Benfica fan compare Carvalho to Bernardo Silva in terms of potential the other day. That'll do for me!

We are 1-10 goal average in champions league this season. Zero points. 5 points from the 1st place on a league that the top teams rarely loose points. Yeah it has been a crap season.

Forgot to mention Bernardo Silva. Carvalho is not at the same level yet of course but I see the same potential there. I'd rather send Diogo Gonçalves to Wolves instead who is having first team play. But well...Mendes rules.

I look forward to the day when I can post on a forum moaning we are shit in the Champions League and 5 points behind the leaders of the Prem League. For now, I will stick with being annoyed our top scorer hasn't scored at least 20 by the start of November....

Well will all due respect to Wolves which is a club I really like in England (otherwise I would not be here) Benfica has 6M supporters, over 200k paid members, 2 European championships and several European finals. I guess it's normal to demand a bit more. Just watch a Benfica league match if you have the time and you will see how unhappy the fans are nowadays.

Portuguese press linking us with Rafa Silva on loan in Jan.

According to reports in Sweden, Wolverhampton Wanderers target Axel Wallenborg favours a move to Everton.

Swedish media outlet Fotboll Direkt, via Sport Witness, are reporting that Axel Wallenborg wants to complete a transfer to Everton, having just returned from a trial there.

Premier League side Everton are constantly looking to upgrade their options in the academy and they are continuing their search for a long-term replacement for Leighton Baines.

While Brendan Galloway, Antonee Robinson and Luke Garbutt are all considered to be promising prospects, the Toffees have also been scouring the market for young left backs and have weighed up a move for Preston North End starlet Josh Earl recently.

Axel Wallenborg is another player on their wishlist and the Scandinavian teenager was on trial at Everton recently.

The Swedish youngster has confirmed that he will return to Everton for another trial next month as he looks to earn himself a contract with the Merseyside outfit.

Wallenborg is also a target for Wolverhampton Wanderers.

The 15-year-old has been linked with a move to Molineux in the past with scout Gary Goodchild keen to bring in talent from Scandinavia.

Everton are in pole position to sign the Swede, though, and can offer him a professional contract when he turns 16 next month.

The Verdict

The signs are looking promising for Wolves in the long-term future as they aim to compete with Everton for players.

Wallenborg is considered to be one of Sweden’s brightest prospects and he would undoubtedly have boosted the options for Wolves’ academy.

Although this target looks to have slipped through the net, Goodchild’s experience of Scandinavia holds Wolves in good stead for snapping up any other talented youngsters from the Nordic countries.

Wolves fans – What do you make of this news? Let us know below…

Rafa Silva to Wolves on table for January window, €16m player lined up for loan
By A. E. - 11th November 2017

Benfica seem to be ‘at it’ again, and by ‘at it’ we mean trying to offload players. Several reports in the Portuguese press over the past week have claimed Benfica are once again looking at January sales, even though transfers over the past couple of windows have really hurt the squad.

The Lisbon club’s president Luís Filipe Vieira may well deny the situation but, as often seems the case, Benfica appear to be considering outgoings.

Record comes with another on Saturday, and Wolves are brought into the situation. Rafa Silva isn’t at the level Benfica hoped he would be by age 24, and isn’t yet looking like he’ll turn a good profit on the €16m paid to SC Braga in 2016.

Rafa is Benfica’s second most expensive player ever, and is ‘devaluing’, so ‘a loan in January may be positive for all parties’. The 18th most used player in Benfica’s squad, it’s pointed out Rafa isn’t imposing himself enough.

Embed from Getty Images

Wolves are the only club mentioned. Record say, according to their own information, England is a possibility, and Wolves will be on the table an option. An exit isn’t nailed on, but Rafa is being lined up for one, like several Benfica players.

The left-footed attacker, who is primarily a left winger, isn’t represented by Gestifute, so would be more complicated than a Mendes signing for Wolves, but Record say the ‘good connections’ between Wolves and Benfica should help.

Rafa has 10 caps for Portugal and whilst he hasn’t played for the country this year, Record believe he still has hopes of making the country’s World Cup squad.

In May 2016, when the then Braga footballer was linked with a move to England, his agent Antônio Araújo told Sport Witness: “Our client, Rafa Silva, sees with very good eyes the possibility. We are working towards achieving this objective.”

Is this another sign of Luís Filipe Vieira taking his products to market ahead of the window, or simply the Portuguese press looking for stories? Probably a bit of both.

I'd take both of them, but we only play with two of Jota, Cav and Costa as it is.

Not to dig the guy out in the slightest but Cav has to up his scoring rate if we're still looking at players in this area, otherwise he's the most vulnerable. 7 in 46 is low for a player of his quality, given the role he invariably has and that he's playing at a level which is arguably lower than where he should be.

How is he doing on assists this season?

I'm probably wrong, but I don't recall him getting into the positions, or getting the amount of chances inside the box that Jota and Leo have been getting this season.

I think Ivan will continue to get game time over Costa because he works so much harder without the ball. He's winning the ball in really dangerous areas for us and has been the starting point for a lot of our best attacks.

How is he doing on assists this season?

I'm probably wrong, but I don't recall him getting into the positions, or getting the amount of chances inside the box that Jota and Leo have been getting this season.

Five assists (Dicko at Hull, Jota's first at Forest, Jota and Vinagre at Burton, Jota vs Villa)

I think Ivan will continue to get game time over Costa because he works so much harder without the ball. He's winning the ball in really dangerous areas for us and has been the starting point for a lot of our best attacks.

#notateamplayer

Yep - thought we were noticeably weaker when Bright came on for Cav vs. Fulham. You know the amount of tracking back Cav does when he goes off

Remember when Lambert preferred Saville because Ivan wasn't good enough defensively.

Shows how Ivan is developing his game.

I think Ivan plays further back than diogo though, maybe that's why he's not getting the same opportunities?

When I've watched us Cav seems to stay much closer to the touchline than Jota.

Remember when Lambert preferred Saville because Ivan wasn't good enough defensively.

That was early on his reign. Once Ivan got in, he basically played him if he was fit.
Tim II banged the not a team player drum, even after Ivan had ran 80 yards to chase down a Forest counter at Molineux (the one that led to Coady clearing off the line)

Tim II banged the not a team player drum, even after Ivan had ran 80 yards to chase down a Forest counter at Molineux (the one that led to Coady clearing off the line)

Edwards giving the ball away then letting his man run off him vs Huddersfield = 7/10, selfless effort
Cav getting sent off at Derby (which was, admittedly, stupid and cost him his place here for the first month of the season) = 2/10, not a team player

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back