• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Fitness Thread

So is 200km in a month!! How the fuck have you managed to do that??!

What is Insanity Max 30?
I don't know really, I've always run a lot (well the last 10 years), but in April I had far more time to do longer runs, it soon totted up and I ran 5 or 6 times a week minimum of 5km, maximum of 20km.

I was surprised when Strava told me how much it was

0b051ee6f36062e1ee7d5afecb10469c.jpg

Insanity is a cardio work out programme from BeachBody.com and Sean T, it's an 8 week programme, 5 workouts a week, no equipment needed, just you, a drink and a TV, it's 30 mins a day, a lot of upper body, core and leg work. It gets gradually more difficult each week. The idea is that you record your "max out" time when you do the cardio challenge on a Monday and that the time gets longer and longer as you get stronger.

it's bloody hard, but very rewarding.

Yeah it’s bit easier though when you’re bigger, was never obese or anything like that but certainly carrying too much round the waist. Since lockdown cut out takeaways completely (sometimes was having 3 a week) and started calorie counting with MFP aiming for about 2200. Chuck in massively more exercise and it drops off. Now I’m down to 88kg and 20% BF it’s a bit harder because i actually need to start being a bit stricter. Slow and steady from here will be better though long term.

MFP is a superb app, really was a big change for me when that came out, really helped me understand how much crap i was eating, just stupid stuff like realising that chicken fajitas, whilst it sounds like a reasonably healthy meal is very calorific, that 2 or 3 biscuits a day could easily mean 200 calories, once i got my head around 100 calories being about 1 mile of running it had a really big impact on my health.

I long for the day when there is an accurate way of everything I consume being logged automatically.

Insanity is a cardio work out programme from BeachBody.com and Sean T, it's an 8 week programme, 5 workouts a week, no equipment needed, just you, a drink and a TV, it's 30 mins a day, a lot of upper body, core and leg work. It gets gradually more difficult each week. The idea is that you record your "max out" time when you do the cardio challenge on a Monday and that the time gets longer and longer as you get stronger.

it's bloody hard, but very rewarding.

I completed Insanity years ago for a bet! I dropped 4 inches from my waist and never put them back on (it's been hard work keeping them off mind you!).

It was the hardest 10 quid bet I've ever won!

I've used my lack of commuting time to exercise everyday since lockdown, be it a run, dumbells or yoga. Feeling much fitter but I've been eating constantly so not much weight change!

I completed Insanity years ago for a bet! I dropped 4 inches from my waist and never put them back on (it's been hard work keeping them off mind you!).

It was the hardest 10 quid bet I've ever won!

I've used my lack of commuting time to exercise everyday since lockdown, be it a run, dumbells or yoga. Feeling much fitter but I've been eating constantly so not much weight change!
All I'm interested in this post is who the bet was with...:icon_lol:

So your brother then? :icon_wink:
Seriously, that's some dedication to a bet mate.

Treated myself to a new watch seeing as I'm running more thanks to lockdown. My old TomTom has been brilliant but at 5 years old it's starting to show it's age so I bought a Garmin Forerunner. £150 off the RRP at Amazon and it does exactly what I need.

Managed to do my fastest 5k for a couple of years the other day so regular running is clearly working!

spoke with a colleague about her garmin after seeing it on a zoom call the other day.
my general fitness has been neglected for these 3 months. bit worried how I'll cope when I get back out there tbh.

Anyone have any tips or links on starting running?

I've been on a health kick for the last couple of months and lost about 1.5 stones so far - mainly by eating less and cycling more. Keen to try other things though and thought about running, though I've never done it before.

Couch to 5K worked for me, hate running but it got me in to the routine and got to a point where I could do a decent little circuit from home in the morning before work.

Yeah thought about that, but can I skip the walking bit at the start?

Coach to 5k is good I agree. The walking bit is more just of a warm up right from memory? But I guess you could.

I started on the app but now just a 5k programme that I found online which has really helped me bring down my time. Quickest/fittest I've been since i was 18 :icon_lol:

Coach to 5k is good I agree. The walking bit is more just of a warm up right from memory? But I guess you could.

I started on the app but now just a 5k programme that I found online which has really helped me bring down my time. Quickest/fittest I've been since i was 18 :icon_lol:

Are there different ones? The one I saw said mainly about walking the first week.

Can do whatever you want.

Think it was a BBC app I used and you just went on whichever week/run you wanted and it ran through the sequence of running/walking for that workout, could have your own music in the background and the app would just interrupt with instructions as required.

For me, I started right from the bottom with the least strenuous runs and whilst they were particularly taxing it at least got me into the habit of getting up early and making the effort to go out, gave me opportunity to figure out my pace so I could plan suitable length routes for the future runs and prevented the chance of me finding it too difficult too soon so giving up.

Are there different ones? The one I saw said mainly about walking the first week.

The BBC one is Couch to 5k is all I know.

https://www.halhigdon.com/training-programs/5k-training/advanced-5k/ I've been doing this but the road running has been quite bad for my shins so sometimes rested between weeks.

I used Strava to record my runs but not sure if it has anything like Couch to 5k (which I think Mark is right, you can just skip to where you want to start?)

The BBC one is Couch to 5k is all I know.

https://www.halhigdon.com/training-programs/5k-training/advanced-5k/ I've been doing this but the road running has been quite bad for my shins so sometimes rested between weeks.

I used Strava to record my runs but not sure if it has anything like Couch to 5k (which I think Mark is right, you can just skip to where you want to start?)

Yeah I just checked the app, you can scroll through to pick whichever run you want and it just plays through the sequence for it.

Turns out I stopped using it at a couple of weeks before the end of the routine, think I settled on a route that i liked and would've either had to go back to running on roads or get a lot quicker to to fit in the larger route before work.

Not sure what ended my running routine, don't think I've been for over 12 months now and whilst I can't say that I ever enjoyed it I did at least find it a lot easier to stick to it 3-4 times a week once I got into the habit of it.

So I've got off the coach and got on the road to the 5k, but after 1 run/walk my calves are so tight they feel they might snap. Any advice on loosening them before/after please?

Did you not do any stretches?

Early on I'd imagine you could get by with just stretching out the muscle groups in your legs before and after with some simple static stretches. Might want to get into the routine of doing them a few times every day rather than just around exercise periods, that made a big difference for me when I had 12 months of doing fuck all before getting back into football.

Could perhaps go for a sports massage just to loosen things up if it's really bad, get you into a better position to start out. Or could buy a foam roller if you want to try DIY.

Foam roll or lacross/cricket ball into the calf and roll it out

Back