• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Good luck to Tim. Obviously appealed to the Athletic and he will earn a crust from it one would hope.

So that leaves a space for a certain writer a little closer to home methinks...... Up for the challenge DW?

Deadline was like a month ago, looked at it, decided no. I don't think they're interested in what I do and I like my current job. Plus unless they paid me silly money (which they wouldn't) then I'm not sure I'd want to treat Wolves as work, miss out on seeing my mates etc. This is my day off.

As mentioned on another thread, they wanted five ideas to improve their output as part of the application. Er no, you pay for that kind of stuff, I'm not giving it to you for free and then you choose someone else.

There was an interview on the Tifo podcast with someone from the Athletic and he was basically saying that with a lot of the writers, their commitments to covering games and getting out what their employers are asking means they are rushing stuff out where as they will have more time to work on a smaller number of targeted pieces with the Athletic. He seemed to think they have got a lot of talented writers on board some of which have never been in a position to put out their best stuff due to other commitments in their roles. Should be interesting to see the difference (if any) between Tim's stuff for them and what he puts out with the E+S.

I read a story from the Forest guy who has moved from his local paper to the Athletic and you kind of see how Tim is deemed a success at the E&S as the papers don't judge how good you are on the content but how many clicks on the stories and how many hits you get on Twitter. Tim is very active on there and gets the paper a lot of hits/visits.

Does feel like we are getting away from the thread subject matter but as pretty much nothing is happening, it doesn’t seem a big problem!

I’m interested to see how Tim’s output will change for the athletic. I UNDERSTAND that the newbies all have to go to the states for training so presumably he will be given their style and content requirements. He has no record of doing anything in depth as the E&S output doesn’t require that. His approach will have to change quite drastically

Nothing happening? Apart from the 2 medicals that are going on.
OK one is an 18yr old from Reading and the other a 20yr old from Bayern.

What Tim seems to have learned over time is that it doesn't play well in terms of credibility if you're transparently way too close to certain people inside the club. His reaction to both Ken and Lambo being punted was ludicrous. The way he rated Fat Doc and Edwards week after week was a complete joke.

That seems to have changed now and I'm not going to criticise him for that. After all we all try to improve at what we do as we go along (well, you'd hope so).

I just don't think he's anything like a good enough writer for this new gig. It's really high quality stuff and I don't think he has the natural flair for it. But then they've given him the job so good luck to him. I feel it's above his paygrade, he doesn't do what they offer.

The Bayern one is very interesting. Made the break through last season and I know he is in the final year of his deal but I can't see him walking away from Bayern just to play in the U23 Prem League

What Tim seems to have learned over time is that it doesn't play well in terms of credibility if you're transparently way too close to certain people inside the club. His reaction to both Ken and Lambo being punted was ludicrous. The way he rated Fat Doc and Edwards week after week was a complete joke.

Boly 7/10 - Made a dodgy pass
Edwards 8/10 - Smart cameo from the 85th minute sub

The Bayern one is very interesting. Made the break through last season and I know he is in the final year of his deal but I can't see him walking away from Bayern just to play in the U23 Prem League

Yes looks like he could be a decent signing able to at least be on the bench for PL games.

Everyone reporting this has said he will be going into the Under 23's

Boly 7/10 - Made a dodgy pass
Edwards 8/10 - Smart cameo from the 85th minute sub

"Too casual".

My favourite was towards the end of 2015/16 when he claimed Doc had never had a bad game at LB. My word. We literally had to sign Lycan's bezzie Jeremy Helan to hold his hand so we didn't get murdered down that side.

Nothing happening? Apart from the 2 medicals that are going on.

Well yes but we know about them - it’s just a matter of announcing them I guess. All the other player speculation now seems a bit pointless was what I meant. I’m very intrigued by the Bayern player. Could be a gem. Him and Neto are two interesting signings where you might hit absolute paydirt or they might be pups.

Bright signed a new contract as a precursor to going out on loan?

Everyone reporting this has said he will be going into the Under 23's

Yeah I have seen that but when we signed Vinagre he was an U23 player as well. I mean I doubt he will be signing with the prospect of being in the U23 all season. U23 to start to help settle him into the Club/Country and then a quick progression

"Too casual".

My favourite was towards the end of 2015/16 when he claimed Doc had never had a bad game at LB. My word. We literally had to sign Lycan's bezzie Jeremy Helan to hold his hand so we didn't get murdered down that side.

He should be made to watch Zenga's last game (home versus Leeds) on repeat then on that basis.

Worth catching up on the last few pages or not?

Worth catching up on the last few pages or not?

Life's too short Booz.

In summary - We've signed nobody for the 1st XI. Possibly signing 2 for the U23's, one from Reading, one from Bayern.
There's also a debate into the journalistic qualities of your favourite E&S reporter.

Back