• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

He's not allowed to join before 1st July officially so people will have to pantwet.

€41m is being floated...IIRC that's actually the €38m already agreed plus the loan fee we've already paid? Seems about right either way - about £35m at todays rates.

£35m seems like a bit of a bargain for a guy who has been directly involved in nearly 20 goals this season.

€41m is being floated...IIRC that's actually the €38m already agreed plus the loan fee we've already paid? Seems about right either way - about £35m at todays rates.

I thought the €38m was a min release ?

Raul has updated his twitter profile. It now says he is an "Ex-Benfica" player.

bloody foreigner, speak the local lingo or go home....#brexit

I love raul, he has been our best player but I hope we dont end up paying 5m loan + 38m euro fee. He will be 28 in two months and this is his first good season ever- dont forget he had a single goal for athletico all season, and he was not prolific for benefica either. I would be a lot more willing to have another season long loan for 10m or something, and see if he can continue to perform. He is not a natural finisher, I doubt he will repeat this season. O'hara looked borderline world class whilst on loan for a season too, remember how that turned out.
Obviously I hope Im very wrong and raul gets 20+ next season

But Raul is actually getting better as the season progresses. O'Hara (or some other examples) was one of those that started brightly and showed their ability so we went on that. Raul was already crucial to the team and is now actually improving with this consistency of game time he didn't get at two top european clubs. He's the main man here.

I would have paid it for him in December, let alone now!

I love raul, he has been our best player but I hope we dont end up paying 5m loan + 38m euro fee. He will be 28 in two months and this is his first good season ever- dont forget he had a single goal for athletico all season, and he was not prolific for benefica either. I would be a lot more willing to have another season long loan for 10m or something, and see if he can continue to perform. He is not a natural finisher, I doubt he will repeat this season. O'hara looked borderline world class whilst on loan for a season too, remember how that turned out.
Some examples of wonder first seasons for strikers- michu, santa cruz, andy carroll, papiss cisse, andy johnson, mido

It's not just his goals, though- the way Jimenez leads the line, and (in recent months) has linked up with Jota, is absolutely vital to the way we play. He was our best player even before he started banging them in for fun.

We wouldn't have done nearly this well this season without him, even if you ignore his goals. From a purely financial outlook (how many places on the table has Jimenez single-handedly earned us, and what are the financial rewards for that?) he's probably made the club a substantial pot of cash even before we buy him.

There's also the question of whether the parties would be happy with a second loan. If I were Jimenez, and I were having the season he's having, I'd be entirely pissed off at the idea I still need to prove myself.

Without wanting to defend JoH. He fucked his back up and that basically ended his career. He refused to try and adapt his game and he was a shell of the player he was when he was on loan.

Ignore the fee we are set to pay. It sounds a huge amount, but in footballing terms it really isn't now. With the new TV deal etc, £38m is the new £10m. Sell on value is not a problem if over the next 18 months we qualify for Europe, then that fee means nothing.

Without wanting to defend JoH. He fucked his back up and that basically ended his career. He refused to try and adapt his game and he was a shell of the player he was when he was on loan.

Ignore the fee we are set to pay. It sounds a huge amount, but in footballing terms it really isn't now. With the new TV deal etc, £38m is the new £10m. Sell on value is not a problem if over the next 18 months we qualify for Europe, then that fee means nothing.

This was while he was at Pompey though wasn't it? He had a lot of ability, but it was always going to hamper his mobility in a league like this so I don't know whether we were being blindly ignorant or not to something that was always going to limit him and his performances for us.

Im not saying Raul hasnt earned it, but will there really be competition to sign him at 38m? Surely we should try to negoatiate rather than just pay the release clause.
Obviously we dont know our transfer kitty for next season, but if this is 2/3rds or half of our all of our funds its a bit risky, we dont have anyone to sell apart from maybe costa.

There can't be competition whilst we have the option to buy him. If we decided not to sign him people would be interested after his performances this season for me.

Im not saying Raul hasnt earned it, but will there really be competition to sign him at 38m?
Yes. Without a shadow of a doubt.

In the Prem alone, anyone outside the top 6 would be improved by him.

Some examples of wonder first seasons for strikers- michu, santa cruz, andy carroll, papiss cisse, andy johnson, mido

Psychologically you simply cannot say to Raul, "OK, you're just had the best season in the PL that a Wolves striker has ever had, you're in the top 10 (he's currently level with Lukaku and Lacazette and look how much they cost) and we want you to prove yourself again." That just isn't on. Watch the goal vs. Chelsea again. It's Jimenez and Jota vs. about 5 Chelsea players and we score.

This was while he was at Pompey though wasn't it? He had a lot of ability, but it was always going to hamper his mobility in a league like this so I don't know whether we were being blindly ignorant or not to something that was always going to limit him and his performances for us.

Yeah I think he got it at Pompey but he was seriously struggling with it during the Stale & Saunders era (another who could get over it in pre-season). When KJ took over, he took himself ot California to try and sort it but just couldn't. Oddly KJ dragged him out of the "bomb sqaud" to play 2 games then decided his initially assessement was correct and he was shit

Back