• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

There's no point pretending 38m isn't a lot. It is, even by todays standards, it would be close to the list of 100 most expensive transfers of all time. As the market is always increasing though it's worth paying as strikers who contribute to as many goals as Raul has at this level don't grow on trees. We would have a real job on our hands trying to replace his goals and his general fit in the team were we not to sign him.

Bournemouth want £50m for Wilson. And he's injury prone. Raul is likely going to be worth around £60m by the end of the season if he gets 15+ league goals.

Im pretty sure we can just go out and spend 120m, there are financial fair play regulations. We cant compete with most big clubs profit wise, so no way we can spend that much

Course we can. Fulham spent £100m. TV and prize money revenue is around £150m.

It's wages newly promoted clubs are limited on and we have to be careful with. £81m in your first season IIRC.

Im pretty sure we can just go out and spend 120m, there are financial fair play regulations. We cant compete with most big clubs profit wise, so no way we can spend that much

We've spent 112 this season haven't we now?

We spent not far shy of that this season. Wages are the biggy for us though for a couple of seasons, hence why in the Champ we had a low wage bill but a huge bonus system

We will make a couple of biggish signings this summer and we will probably do the loaning of a couple (with a view to buy) as well.

Our wage bill in 17/18 was £50.7m.

With promotion clauses and new signings it would probably be close to the limit already this season.

We have to make our obligatory signing from Atletico too. WHo will it be this time?

We have to make our obligatory signing from Atletico too. WHo will it be this time?

Rodri or Partey would do me (wishful thinking, but not quite as much as hoping for Saul haha), not that we need reinforcements in that area yet anyway...

Top of the list should be an W/AM/F to enable us to switch to 3-4-3 if we need a goal. Cav and Costa are clearly not good enough for where we want to be now.

Top of the list should be an W/AM/F to enable us to switch to 3-4-3 if we need a goal. Cav and Costa are clearly not good enough for where we want to be now.

I do agree. Though do you think it is going to be difficult to recruit a class player to play in that position and make his playing time context dependent?

Not if he can play up front as well.

38M does seem a bit too much to me too. Raul is quality though so maybe it's just a case of getting used to these crazy figures in general now we are in the prem and doing well

38M does seem a bit too much to me too. Raul is quality though so maybe it's just a case of getting used to these crazy figures in general now we are in the prem and doing well

How is it too much? Nobody knows what we have lined up, we could have another Donk in for £12m or Moutinho in for £5m. Who's to say we won't spend another £100m this summer and that is on Raul, another striker and a CB and that's it.

Given Rual's performances (and the fact that he is improving as the season goes on) then £38m, whilst not a steal ALA Moutinho, is a decent enough price in today's market.

We know that he fits us - we won't with anyone else who may well not be that much cheaper anyway.

As has been said it's probably the salary rules which limit us more than the purchase price, particularly as that is amortised over the contract term - if he is signed to a 4 year contract then that's only £9.5m per year.

38 mill is a bargain, elsewhere you'd probably have to spend at least 50% more to get a player that is likely to end up with 16+ goals, loads of assists and workrate that Raul does

Remember it's Euros not Pounds. So slightly cheaper!

Yeah as I say I think it's just getting used to these high figures. Just seems loads to spend but when you think about it he's got to be worth it

Just out of interest I've looked at other Prem forwards down to 35M:

Rom 76
Morata 60
Auba 57
Laca 47
Benteke 41
Shevchenko 40
Robinho 39
Firmino 37
Carroll 37
Aguero 36
Batshuayi 35

Crazy to think we will have one in that list soon. And he's deffo better than a few!

@ euros yeah so more like 32-33M? Which is cheaper than all the above

Not to divert too much from the Raul love-in but I think it's a safe assumption there will be a few outgoings this summer as well. It's never a pleasant topic but even just looking at those who aren't involved regularly with the matchday squad:

Bonatini
Hause
Ebanks-Landell
Burgoyne
Deslandes
Miranda
Ofosu-Ayeh
Graham
Enobakhare
Ronan
Mir
Wilson
Zyro

I'm not totally up on the contract situation of all those but I'd guess there's a few million here or there to be brought in from that lot. Not saying all of them will go but they'd have to have a very big turnaround in fortune to break into the matchday squad as it is now.

-edit- I am forgetting a few as well, I'm sure

Wouldn't be surprised to see Costa in that list - not really stepped up enough for me.

Less likely to offload Cav as he has scored a few & been a not unuseful backup at times.

Back