• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Relegation 24/25 Thread

I'd take Southgate over GON 100 times out of 100. I don't think he allowed amazing attacking talent to shine and express themselves enough, but his structured style and solid, consistent tactical plan woild be sound for 6-7 clubs in the league

Eh?

They already own Goodison, and the sale of the land will obviously happen as soon as their new ground next to the sewage works on the Mersey is ready.

There is fuck all sneaky about that.

However, the bill for their new ground is still absolutely eye-watering.
I’m sure they can play a tune that enables them to spend a bit. Maybe sell Goodison to what is ostensibly themselves but badged slightly differently and then pay a West Ham level of rent until they move out. If Chelsea can play tunes with a hotel I’m sure grand old Everton can do something to help cash flow.

Someone will go down the Southgate path and I think they'll regret it. For evidence of whether he's up to scratch or not in the PL I'd be looking at his Boro rather than England record.
That was over 15 years ago I think most managers learn and evolve, especially considering it was his job in management.

Put it this way I fully expect their circumstances to improve very quickly in the next 12 months, ie new stadium, better head coach, more structured transfer policy and better league position.
Put it bluntly I think Everton fans can have far more optimistic outlooks than we can this morning.
Depends on how the debt is serviced.
Can't agree with your last point. Everton have a shit squad, can't be relied on to improve it and even if they do, they are going to spend an absolute fortune to do it. And then we all know how FFP comes in to kick any prospect of being a competitive club.

Far too much negativity about our situation around here sometimes. The takeover hasn't even happened just yet and I wouldn't be surprised to see Moshiri fuck this one up.

I'd take Southgate over GON 100 times out of 100. I don't think he allowed amazing attacking talent to shine and express themselves enough, but his structured style and solid, consistent tactical plan woild be sound for 6-7 clubs in the league
So would I.

We've gone full circle, solid and hard to score against under Nuno and Lop but struggle to create chances and score.

To score/create quite freely (relatively) but concede a lot of chances.

I remember a lot of fans saying they'd prefer the latter too, even if it meant we won less points.

Reactions: b3h
W
Depends on how the debt is serviced.
Can't agree with your last point. Everton have a shit squad, can't be relied on to improve it and even if they do, they are going to spend an absolute fortune to do it. And then we all know how FFP comes in to kick any prospect of being a competitive club.

Far too much negativity about our situation around here sometimes. The takeover hasn't even happened just yet and I wouldn't be surprised to see Moshiri fuck this one up.
Without deductions they were comfortable last season above us, not talking about them being back to their 7th spot.
Really doesn’t take much to move mid table, as pointed out a decent coach and astute business.
1 PL in 15 matches I think I’m entitled to feel a bit negative about our current predicament.

Debating Everton's punishment for violating FFP in January isn't all that relevant to us. Any punishment would not be this season, by which time we could be in the Championship.

Given today's news about Mosquera and what you would think is an improvement in fortunes for Everton I'm thinking we go down now. Not sure we can rely on being better than both Ipswich and Leicester.

What a depressing sentence that is
It completely sums up the managed decline under Fosun and is pretty depressing. Do we have better players - in some places yes, by quite some distance. But as a squad we have such deficiencies and a coach not up to it. Does make you worry how we'd do in the Championship as well.

It completely sums up the managed decline under Fosun and is pretty depressing. Do we have better players - in some places yes, by quite some distance. But as a squad we have such deficiencies and a coach not up to it. Does make you worry how we'd do in the Championship as well.
How we do in the Championship would be hugely dependent on who the manager is. If it’s someone of the calibre of Solbakken or Saunders worry is too mild a word.

W

Without deductions they were comfortable last season above us, not talking about them being back to their 7th spot.
Really doesn’t take much to move mid table, as pointed out a decent coach and astute business.
1 PL in 15 matches I think I’m entitled to feel a bit negative about our current predicament.
They have 1 point from playing Brighton, Spurs, Bournemouth, Villa and Leicester. In four of those games they have conceded 3 or more. They have Palace (H), Newcastle (H), Ipswich (A), Fulham (H), & Southampton (A) in their next 5 games. All games they should be getting points from. The takeover is unlikely to be completed in time to affect any of those games. If they fail to pick up points, then they really are going to be looking over their shoulder as they still have to play MUFC, Liverpool, Arsenal, & Chelsea before Christmas and then Man City on Boxing Day.

I get your despondency. Part of being a Wolves fan.

The world changed with covid. So did our club and pretty much all clubs as they adjusted to a new normal. We have still continued to invest in players and surely you can't grumble at the likes of Cunha, Gomes, Andre, Dawson, Lemina and to a lesser extent Doyle over the last two years? It takes time to regen a team and we have basically changed our entire midfield. Our owners have a definite plan to stay within our means and there could well be consequences to that. They took action when we were bottom at Christmas last time and I'm pretty sure they would do so again.

We are in September. The early warning signs are there. IMO, it is far too early to worry too much when we are one win from moving up the table At half time on Saturday we were 15th. It shouldn't be cause for panic stations yet.

Pretending our owners have a plan with all evidence to the contrary does prove Paddo's point.

Pretending our owners have a plan with all evidence to the contrary does prove Paddo's point.
Well the plan will be throw a load of money at it, which will probably work, but it's fucking infuriating as if they'd been less conservative in the first place we'd likely not be in this position anyway.

Also it'll fuck us on PSR again in the medium term if we have a January similar to Lop's.

I don't think they'll throw money at anything, especially if O'Neil is still here. They'll buy a CB but only if Sá goes for a decent amount and they could easily sell someone like Cunha or João Gomes as well. I'd also expect them to offload Sarabia and/or Hwang if O'Neil continues not to use them.

They will know that relegation is a possibility (even an inevitability) with the way they've been operating and they won't be as afraid of it as they were a few years ago after seeing some of the fees teams like Burnley, Leicester and Leeds have brought in for some of their players.

Back