• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Relegation 24/25 Thread

Sure, but the vast majority of that was in Sweden.

Then a decent but non-playoff year at Swansea. Then landing the gig at Brighton with a team full of gems.

Jury's out, IMO.
He's been pretty successful wherever he's gone imo. You can't judge him on his Chelsea term.
Not saying he's the Messiah but of available coaches he's got be one of the most attractive to us, would almost certainly keep us up and has some prospect of kicking on and have us relatively mid table for the foreseeable even with Jeff's mad policies.

Tbc I'm very aware that I could equally be holding Chelsea against him too much in the inverse of how I think folks big him up OTT for the stint at Brighton. But fuck me were they (Chelsea) bad, individually and collectively, and by the end Potter was looking really, really dispirited on the sideline.

He did well at Swansea. They had only just been relegated and struggled with their identity ever since Monk left, revolving door of managers and squad gutted of much of their Prem players. Their ownership is quite like ours but on a smaller scale, minimal spend and always sell anything which they can get a profit on. Potter developed a young squad made up of academy players, random punts and some dregs from the Prem into a decent outfit that laid the foundations for the next couple of years. They played nice football too and Swansea fans are weirdos about style of play.

It's a different remit to what we need immediately which is someone to keep us up but if we need a coach who can develop players and work with Jeff's attitude to spending then Potter would work well IMO. But given he's dealt with ownership similar to ours at Swansea before I don't think Potter would come near us.

Also whilst it didn't happen overnight. The difference between them with Hughton and then Potter was stark. Hughton was similar to O'Neill's dismissal in the sense that quite a lot of the talk was it was unfair given how he had kept them up, and what did Brighton expect etc and that they were at their level just by staying up.

Fully expect Sean Dyche to be moved on ASAP from Everton and they recruit a far better suited manager. Whilst I don’t think they’ll break the bank in January I expect them to sign players that’ll keep them safe comfortably.
I think it leaves the 3 promoted us and Brentford eventually to fight it out.
It’s a shit outlook whichever way you cut it because even staying up this year is nothing more than a stay of execution as Cunha is the next on the conveyer belt out the club and possibly RAN.

It doesn't actually matter if Elon Musk has bought Everton. They simply have zero FFP wiggle room.

It doesn't actually matter if Elon Musk has bought Everton. They simply have zero FFP wiggle room.
It's not exactly impossible to find work arounds, and the Premier League have proven completely impotent and disinterested in challenging anything other than the cluelessly blatant. Everton may as well have had a line in their P&L labelled "PSR OVERSPEND" last time out. They've learned

Everton will no doubt sell Goodison to themselves in some sneaky way. Even in that part of Liverpool it will raise enough for a big January spend.

Let them spend... that's how they got in this mess in the first place. Hope they knock on our door for Hwang & Doc. Make it happen Thelwell.

Not **that** much of a mess in the end though is it? They haven't been relegated and had a meagre punishment.

Everton will no doubt sell Goodison to themselves in some sneaky way. Even in that part of Liverpool it will raise enough for a big January spend.
Eh?

They already own Goodison, and the sale of the land will obviously happen as soon as their new ground next to the sewage works on the Mersey is ready.

There is fuck all sneaky about that.

However, the bill for their new ground is still absolutely eye-watering.

Eh?

They already own Goodison, and the sale of the land will obviously happen as soon as their new ground next to the sewage works on the Mersey is ready.

There is fuck all sneaky about that.

However, the bill for their new ground is still absolutely eye-watering.
The bill for this will be paid over 50 odd years through a mortgage the same as any other commercial mortgage.

It won't be so eye watering then and it's really manageable for a club of their size and the events it will hold.

Last edited:
The bill for this week be paid over 50 odd years through a mortgage the same as any other commercial mortgage.

It won't be so eye watering then and it's really manageable for a club of their size and the events it will hold.
It's £700m.

And events? Concerts? In Liverpool? With Anfield there, with a bigger capacity?

Put it this way I fully expect their circumstances to improve very quickly in the next 12 months, ie new stadium, better head coach, more structured transfer policy and better league position.
Put it bluntly I think Everton fans can have far more optimistic outlooks than we can this morning.

Back