• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Espanyol (H) 20/2 Build-Up & Match Thread

The EL is inferior to the CL. If you are Chelsea and Man U who have won the CL in the last decade or so then winning the EL subsequently is undoubtedly a come down especially last year when UEFA put the final in the middle of nowhere.

However, we aren't Man U or Chelsea, haven't qualified for a European competition for nearly 40 years, realistically aren't making the Top 5 this year, and probably never will make the CL based on league position so this is in all likelihood the EL is the pinnacle of our Wolves supporting future lives so not prioritising it now against a side from a top European league, who just happen to be having a poor domestic season would be lunacy. Even if we lose tonight and on Sunday it will still be the correct decision.

Score prediction 0 0, they won't come to play and we won't force it. Think we'll do what we need to away though.

such small thinking.

Your right we're not Man Utd or Chelsea....we're Wolverhampton Wanderers. The club that gave the world European competition. Don't settle for winning some bit part cheap knock off of it.

such small thinking.

Your right we're not Man Utd or Chelsea....we're Wolverhampton Wanderers. The club that gave the world European competition. Don't settle for winning some bit part cheap knock off of it.
Wimabigclub

If you gave me a choice now of finishing 10th/11th and winning the Europa League or finishing 4th/5th and getting knocked out by Espanyol then I'd snap your hand off for the Europa win. Surely nearly every fan would?

Nowhere near the big 6....we finished 7th last season and currently sit in 8th. I'd say we're quite close, keep plugging away the way we are we'll break that big 6 in a couple of years.

Finishing in the top six and being part of the big six aren't the same thing.

Leicester aren't part of the big six, and they've won the bloody thing.

such small thinking.

Embarrassing.

The EL is inferior to the CL. If you are Chelsea and Man U who have won the CL in the last decade or so then winning the EL subsequently is undoubtedly a come down especially last year when UEFA put the final in the middle of nowhere.

However, we aren't Man U or Chelsea, haven't qualified for a European competition for nearly 40 years, realistically aren't making the Top 5 this year, and probably never will make the CL based on league position. Therefore the EL is in all likelihood the the pinnacle of our Wolves supporting future lives so not prioritising it now against a side from a top European league, who just happen to be having a poor domestic season would be lunacy. Even if we lose tonight and on Sunday it will still be the correct decision.

Score prediction 0 0, they won't come to play and we won't force it. Think we'll do what we need to away though.

That's slightly different to your previous thoughts? Agree entirely with what you say, though would hope we can eventually get in the top 4.

Surely we are all into football to won stuff ultimately. We can't win the league, we aren't consistant enough to get top 4, we might make top 6 if we can string a run together. We can win the EL, so for me that is priority. Noit doesn't have the kudos of Champ league in the same way the league cup isn't as important as FA cup but I still loved winning it in 74 and 80

That's slightly different to your previous thoughts? Agree entirely with what you say, though would hope we can eventually get in the top 4.
I didn't want to qualify this season not because of the quality of the competition but because I thought it would affect our league form with a small squad and an early start. I thought we could finish higher this year and be more ready for what it brings next.

As it is I think we'll be looking back at this season as a missed opportunity given the relative weakness of 4 of the usual suspects, but not for the reasons I thought. There's only Everton where the team selection and preparation seemed to compromised. I don't think the EL has been responsible for our failure to turn draws into wins, that's on poor finishing, soft goals and a passive approach to the first few games

If you gave me a choice now of finishing 10th/11th and winning the Europa League or finishing 4th/5th and getting knocked out by Espanyol then I'd snap your hand off for the Europa win. Surely nearly every fan would?

I wouldn't. Finishing 4th or 5th would be a huge achievement and would show us as the 4th/5th best team in England.

What would winning the Europa really achieve? Ouh we're the best team out of the teams that finished 4-6th or maybe won a cup etc etc

Surely we are all into football to won stuff ultimately. We can't win the league, we aren't consistant enough to get top 4, we might make top 6 if we can string a run together. We can win the EL, so for me that is priority. Noit doesn't have the kudos of Champ league in the same way the league cup isn't as important as FA cup but I still loved winning it in 74 and 80

We're (your words) no consistant enough but we can win cup that involves a run of 9 knock out games!

I'm into football to see Wolves be the best they can, finishing 6th (for example) is more of an achievement than winning the equilivent of the European championship

finishing 6th (for example) is more of an achievement than winning the equilivent of the European championship

respectfully disagree.

Finishing 8th and winning the Europa Cup would be a bigger thing for the club and greater achievement than finishing 6th and getting knocked out of the Cup. For starters, it puts us in the premier Euro competition for next season, increases our income and opens up our window of players we can attract.

Oh and we get to have a fookin huge mental for winning a Cup. Don't think the club will be having "YAY we finished 6th" parades for the fans

Meh, fuck the Europa League & Champions League, wouldnt care if we won either to be honest.
Its not like when Ajax & Forest won it, get every chance to stay in the competition after losing nowadays.

Id much rather see a statue somewhere, that had us down as finishing 5 in any particular season...memories.

Re Raul I could swear he has 3 in his last 4? Not exactly a drought

Anyone belittling the chance to win a major European trophy (and it is, regardless of your opinions of its merits vs a competition that it replaced years ago) is mad, IMO. You play the game to win things, simple as. And it would put this team into the history books, which would be fitting recognition for how far we've come in the last few years.

What would winning the Europa really achieve?

Champions League football and the opportunity to celebrate a great cup run and a trophy. At this point, I'm not convinced that you're not on a wind up TBH...

Everyone seems so sure of us winning the cup (no wonder the atmosphere has been awful at Europa games if everyones that expectant) can't wait to come back on this thread when we haven't won it.

Everyone seems so sure of us winning the cup (no wonder the atmosphere has been awful at Europa games if everyones that expectant) can't wait to come back on this thread when we haven't won it.

I don't think anyone is sure. It will be bastard hard but the argument is against your stance of the competition is worthless and finishing 6th (or thereabouts) is better than winning the Europa.

So you're looking forward to Wolves being knocked out of the Europa League?

I don't think anyone is sure. It will be bastard hard but the argument is against your stance of the competition is worthless and finishing 6th (or thereabouts) is better than winning the Europa.

Its not my stance its my opinion you can argue with it all you want your just wasting your time see I won't waiver on my opinion like I bet half you hypocrites did when we managed to 'qualify'.

Maybe I should go digging for some old posts when Blues etc where in it

Back