• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2 - 1 QPR - Verdict Thread

We've picked up four decisions on the last couple of pages that went against Wolves on Saturday:

- Jota was fouled by Onuoha, should have been a penalty
- Washington was offside before he scored, should be no goal
- Robinson should have been sent off for clouting Jota
- Washington handled when he went clean through on goal near the end, nothing given, they nearly scored

Now if we end up losing that game 3-2 then I'm not going to be too keen on talking about the rub of the green! They should be getting all of those right with the possible exception of the penalty which didn't look obvious in real time and positioning may have been an issue.

Bear in mind we also know that Ruddy didn't carry the ball over the line right at the death, though it was bloody close and had it been left to that useless lino on the Steve Bull side, he might well have given it and that would be another one.

I'd rather have better officials full stop, that's the first priority for me. But second prize is using technology to get them right.

How many of those would VAR have been used on though?
The penalty, unlikely as it wasn't given and there wasn't much complaint at the time.
The goal, possibly assuming Ruddy's complaints were for the offside rather than the foul before the corner
The handball, maybe to check the offside as it looked it to me.
Robinson, no as in current rules it's not used for off the ball incidents the ref hasn't seen.
So 2 nos and 2 possibles

Am I getting the jist of this right? It seems folk are ok with refereeing mistakes?

Games should be decided by who scores the most goals, not on mistakes made by officials. Anything that helps them make the right decisions is a good thing.

Referring is very hard when you're that close, I wish refs would trust the linesmen more. Even calling them referees too would be a start, it always looks like linos are subservient to refs - refs could help themselves a lot.

Not if it fucks up the dynamic of the game though. That is the key balance.

If the ball's gone in the back of the net then the game's stopped anyway. Just don't take six minutes to review something that should take sixteen seconds.

No you are probably being deliberately obtuse for effect. Nobody wants mistakes we want the correct decision all the time of course. What we don't want is the games broken up and reduced to staring at a screen after every goal to make sure before the celebrations. The pilots will have to continue till we get it right but at the moment its just another ref with a tele.

I was looking right at that and thought it was a superb challenge at the time! Jota didn't complain about it and he normally would do if he thinks he was fouled

Yeah, I thought it was a good tackle at the time. Clearly wasn't though, the way the ball stops is deceptive. Onuoha doesn't touch it.

We’ve all watched it live and said it wasn’t a penalty. That camera view is shit. I saw it with my own eyes from very close, as did you guys. He won the ball, that camera angle just doesn’t pick it up because of the plane it’s in.

As for the linesman, the one where he guessed the corner decision was a joke, it obviously wasn’t one and if you don’t know you give goal kick anyway!. I won’t blame him for the Douglas Foul leading to the corner they scored from as there was at least 4 errors avoidable from a Wolves perspective. First Ruddy call for it, secondly Douglas nod it to Ruddy, third Douglas clear it, fourth Douglas clear it once he’s got it out the area, five watch the short corner, six deal with the cross. All in all terrible sequence of events. (Although he was offside)

A much as i hate the scrote Robinson, did Jota have a little dig at him in the tackle beforehand?

. First Ruddy call for it, secondly Douglas nod it to Ruddy, third Douglas clear it, fourth Douglas clear it once he’s got it out the area, five watch the short corner, six deal with the cross. All in all terrible sequence of events. (Although he was offside)

He did...Douglas just carried on doing what he was doing, which turned out to be getting in the way and stopping Ruddy taking the ball cleanly

No you are probably being deliberately obtuse for effect. Nobody wants mistakes we want the correct decision all the time of course. What we don't want is the games broken up and reduced to staring at a screen after every goal to make sure before the celebrations. The pilots will have to continue till we get it right but at the moment its just another ref with a tele.

Id rather we check if checking needs to be done. A few seconds checking a screen is massively favourable to conceding, for example, an offside goal in the last minute of an cup final

Did he flick the V's at the southbank after he did it. I may well get offended

Id rather we check if checking needs to be done. A few seconds checking a screen is massively favourable to conceding, for example, an offside goal in the last minute of an cup final

Yes I agree it will come but its taking too long and still getting em wrong.

Yes I agree it will come but its taking too long and still getting em wrong.

If the amount of decisions we get right is improved that's a good thing, I'm sure the time will improve as everybody gets used to the system. No system will ever be perfect because there will always be a degree of interpretation, but, if more accurate decisions are made that's surely makes a better, fairer game

I like Ronay and he usually writes good stuff. I disagree with him on this though

"The other striking thing about VAR only became clear to me on Wednesday night at Stamford Bridge as it was used for only the third time inside an English football stadium. The fact is, for all the expertise, the manpower, the money spent, VAR just doesn’t work in football."

So it's only been used three times (at time of article) yet it definitely doesn't work

Back