• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2 - 1 QPR - Verdict Thread

Goal line is done in a second now. Find a way to do VAR in the same style and then we might be on to something.

Guys, they introduced the VAR in the Portuguese league this season. While it is not fun waiting for a goal to be granted or not, it doesn't happen all the time, only on those close situations where it may need to make sure the game stays true.

I don't like it, but it's a good technology, this is still a competition and mistakes by a referee should not be part on defining who wins and loses.

Totally different game, but waiting for two of the Eagles TD's in the Superbowl to the awarded took away from the moment for me. I'd prefer football to not go that way.

Goal line technology is a simple proposition compared to the diving Harry Kane who feels a touch and goes down.

If there is contact he has every right to go down.
If a defender / goalie makes a tackle but misses the ball.and makes contact with the striker it's a penalty.

Both Spurs pens.V Liverpool were penalties, wtf was the keeper doing making the dive for the first one?
They removed any intent from tackles a long time ago.

If a player takes the ball it can be a foul if excessive force is used.
If a player misses the ball no.matter how small contact is made it's a foul.

Dont blame the ref / players blame the law makers

Totally different game, but waiting for two of the Eagles TD's in the Superbowl to the awarded took away from the moment for me. I'd prefer football to not go that way.

Bit of a difference in those situations as the call stood in both cases so it ends up just feeling like a delay.

I still feel like the whole "flow/feel of the game" argument is a bit weird.

For me the key question is simple. "Does football want to get the decisions right or wrong?" There was a simialr disucssion in cricket when Hawkeye was introdcued, "Worked perfectly well, take away trust between players and umpires etc etc." But Hawkeye shows how often decisions are wrong and given that the tech will only improve it seems an obvious solution to me. Besides, given the notorious bias in favour of the big clubs in the Prem, we might need VAR next year to secure our Champions League spot...

For me the key question is simple. "Does football want to get the decisions right or wrong?" There was a simialr disucssion in cricket when Hawkeye was introdcued, "Worked perfectly well, take away trust between players and umpires etc etc." But Hawkeye shows how often decisions are wrong and given that the tech will only improve it seems an obvious solution to me. Besides, given the notorious bias in favour of the big clubs in the Prem, we might need VAR next year to secure our Champions League spot...

In Cricket, there is effectively a break in play between balls, so there isn’t the same ‘flow’ as football - I like the idea of technology helping get decisions right, but it needs to disrupt the game as little as possible.

The difference between goal line technology and var is the time it takes to make the decision.
Goal line is inside a second. VAR takes minutes with little.or no communication with the fans inside the stadium.

I don't know what the answer is maybe it's a case of a ref inwatching TV in communication with match official that interupts and say's hang on we need to reconsider your decision.

However it's not fallible, just look at England V Wales,

They said no try, where clearly there was, however they said no knock on when the Frame by Frame pictures showed the ball hitting the fingers before it hit the knee meaning Knock On.

In the current format I think I'd like no VAR, unless they can improve the current systems

Firstly nothing is perfect.

The cricket review system was brought in to stop howlers.Now it can be used tactically. In football there needs to be a better version of umpires call. The benefit of the doubt is with the attcaking side for offside so the "is his knee in front when the ball was kicked" decisiuons should go that way. Thats half the time consuming problem. Dissecting minutiae.
Heres another thought if we are looking to get all the decisions right. Two referees. One in each half. They would always be up with play. They would give an additional straight on view to help their colleague in the other half and would do a darn sight better than the goal line refs did. Back this up with VAR in the final third and you would have it covered.

They should show what the VAR ref is looking at on screens as they do in rugby - keeps the crowd involved

They should show what the VAR ref is looking at on screens as they do in rugby - keeps the crowd involved

Yes they should (although not all grounds have screens). However, the FA don't trust football fans to be able to see replays of incidents on screens, which really is a sad state of affairs and underlines how football fans are still seen as 2nd class citizens, even now.

This. The 4th/5th official watching the game on TV should be able to flag the referee on his comms to take another look at something and then that something should be replayed to the crowd. Goals stop play already so there is no 'flow' to interrupt.

Offside is an easy one on VAR as a line for the last man is easily overlayed permanently on screen with a very basic piece of software. Works on any angle too. Would've picked up the goal in seconds and disallowed it. Penalties given you can review but the contentious not given ones should not be reviewed. There is an argument that a ref hould give a penalty if they are in doubt and it could be overturned with a simple review (on screen) and the message to the reviewer of 'is there any reason I cannot give that penalty?'

It really isn't that difficult, the laws are already there for passages of play and fouls it is just a case of speeding up the process and for the referee to relinquish some of his egotistical powers in the middle. The officiating team should be just that, not one person/ despot thinking their decision is paramount.

QPR wouldn't have scored, Wolves would've had a penalty and Jack Robinson would've been sent off (for the same incident).

Yes they should (although not all grounds have screens). However, the FA don't trust football fans to be able to see replays of incidents on screens, which really is a sad state of affairs and underlines how football fans are still seen as 2nd class citizens, even now.

Sadly you're right. When Gordon Taylor of the PFA is getting over £2m per year and grass roots football is only given £1m there is something desperately wrong with the balance of power in the game.

Just watching the Ice Hockey at the WO (wot no thread?)
How long have they used video technology for ice hockey? the fucking delay to award a goal is ridiculous and even when everyone can see it's a goal "they" say it wasn't?!?!?!
That said, I loved how the Canadian wench celebrated just as hard the 2nd time as the 1st.

Just watching the Ice Hockey at the WO (wot no thread?)
How long have they used video technology for ice hockey? the fucking delay to award a goal is ridiculous and even when everyone can see it's a goal "they" say it wasn't?!?!?!
That said, I loved how the Canadian wench celebrated just as hard the 2nd time as the 1st.
Game I went to in January had 1 delay for the video ref. 6 friggin minutes to decide it wasn't a goal.

Sadly you're right. When Gordon Taylor of the PFA is getting over £2m per year and grass roots football is only given £1m there is something desperately wrong with the balance of power in the game.

Added to more and more School playing fields being sold off.

Agree, just been reading about this. Shocking state of affairs. I know other countries have (bigger) problems but the way football is run and governed in this country is bloody rubbish.

If there is contact he has every right to go down.
If a defender / goalie makes a tackle but misses the ball.and makes contact with the striker it's a penalty.

Both Spurs pens.V Liverpool were penalties, wtf was the keeper doing making the dive for the first one?
They removed any intent from tackles a long time ago.

If a player takes the ball it can be a foul if excessive force is used.
If a player misses the ball no.matter how small contact is made it's a foul.

Dont blame the ref / players blame the law makers

Great I'll look forward to more trailing legs and cheating. (but I won't blame the players)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aEM8HPwth0 contact here so fine obvs

Back