• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1 Cardiff 2 - verdict thread

Have to agree with this, difficult from where I was in the SB to see, but from the video online, one would have to conclude that Sais made quite a meal of it. Yellow card at most, but that doesn't in any way alter the fact that the Referee's performance was utterly appalling.

a player who, when not challenging for the ball, deliberately strikes an opponent or any other person on the head or face with the hand or arm, is guilty of violent conduct unless the force used was negligible.

This is the rule for a red card - I would suggest the referee considered the force used as neglible.

Seen as one incident I'd agree with you but when you see all the incidents in context you can see it's clearly deliberate. The blocking of runs, pulling players over, late tackles, pushing and shoving off the ball was all let go by the ref. If he'd have stamped on it early then Cardiff would've been forced to play against our faster flowing football. If they'd have carried on Ralls, Peltier and Morrison would've all been given reds.

Having said all that, we weren't at the races, not bullied just not accurate with the passing or shooting opportunities we created. Bright had one he scooped over the bar as did Jota and Saiss scuffed his effort from the edge of the box with the 'keeper to beat after a delicious ball from Bright.

We were slack all over the place for large portions of the game, simple passes going astray, slow decision making in defence and on the ball, Doc reverting to type and Doyglas getting kicked to ribbons.

I think Zahore was the difference, he held the ball up, played people in and had a physical presence we lacked with Bonatini.

We got punished for two mistakes but in truth Cardiff had two other very good chances to score and Ruddy saved well. We had several chances but until Cav came on we weren't great in stretching their full backs or centre backs.

Everybody loses games and I think the 4 teams we've played so far will all be top six and I think we are better than all of them. Just didn't click yesterday but that happens.

Spot on to be fair.

a player who, when not challenging for the ball, deliberately strikes an opponent or any other person on the head or face with the hand or arm, is guilty of violent conduct unless the force used was negligible.

This is the rule for a red card - I would suggest the referee considered the force used as neglible.

Looks to me he stuck his arm out. You might call that a "strike" - I don't.
Not trying to justify it, but niggly little things like that occur in all matches.
Red card seems harsh to me despite all of the other cynical things they got up to.

Not trying to justify it, but niggly little things like that occur in all matches.
Red card seems harsh to me despite all of the other cynical things they got up to.

It is a very cynical piece of football. There is no reason why a player would normally have their hand out there other than to perform an illegal move, and if that' striking another player in the throat then you've earned a red card. Saiss does look like he makes a meal of it, but then it's not me just ran into a slap in the throat.

Think it's also arguable that he's deliberately gone for the face, he's just sort of hung his arm out there as Saiss goes round him.

No doubting he's intentionally trying to obstruct Saiss to some degree but I don't think there's enough in it to say he's really trying to stick one on him, I was expecting some full on Ben Thatcher action from how heavily it's been mentioned.

Think it's also arguable that he's deliberately gone for the face, he's just sort of hung his arm out there as Saiss goes round him.

Possibly, but if he was determined in injuring Sais, it's a pretty half arsed attempt.
He just sort of hung his arm out there. He had his back to Sais - didn't he? and he doesn't even appear to put any force into it, just hoping that Sais was going to run into it (which he did) but Sais wasn't even running at full speed IIRC, so hardly likely to do much damage.

It is a very cynical piece of football. There is no reason why a player would normally have their hand out there other than to perform an illegal move, and if that' striking another player in the throat then you've earned a red card. Saiss does look like he makes a meal of it, but then it's not me just ran into a slap in the throat.

Agreed, totally cynical, typical Warnock type play.
Yes it was an illegal move, but was it a strike or a block?
Was it Douglas who cynically pulled back one of their players in the second half when he was off and running into acres of space? He did that by reaching out with his arm and handling the Cardif player.
You could call that cynical, but I wouldn't call it a strike.

If you throw your arm out and his something its a strike. saying you didn't know there was a throat doesn't really change that & the law is pretty is pretty clear on what should happen if you do that & hit the man.

If you throw your arm out and his something its a strike. saying you didn't know there was a throat doesn't really change that & the law is pretty is pretty clear on what should happen if you do that & hit the man.
He doesn't directly strike Saiss though, he hangs his arm out in his path and Saiss runs into it. It's a foul and it's cynical but it's not like he's trying to chin him.

I have watched the highlights and was somewhat surprised. After reading yesterday's Matchday thread I expected to see the Molineux pitch resembling a battlefield, with Wolves players lying torn and tattered on the ground...!!

He doesn't directly strike Saiss though, he hangs his arm out in his path and Saiss runs into it. It's a foul and it's cynical but it's not like he's trying to chin him.

yeah, thats how i saw it in the highlights

I have watched the highlights and was somewhat surprised. After reading yesterday's Matchday thread I expected to see the Molineux pitch resembling a battlefield, with Wolves players lying torn and tattered on the ground...!!
It wasn't on the ball challenges that was the issue. Off the ball is where the action that annoyed fans happened...basically your typical game against Colin. Easy handled by the ref if he has a pair but this one left them in Cardiff...

But as has been said by everyone though, those incidents were not the reason we lost. The better team on the day won.

I'm guessing they didn't show the Saiss incident or any of the off the ball stuff?

You just know as well that if we tried any of the nonsense Cardiff did we'd get punished for it

The most frustrating thing is it would have been a cracking game if Cardiff had not been such a bunch of wankers

The highlights don't show all the incidents, in fact they only show two of them. The challenge on Douglas was a disgrace and the arm on Saiss is open to interpretation. If they showed all of the niggley pull, kicks and trips there would be 20 minutes of lowlights

iMO - we were bullied, fairly if you're from Wales or not from Wolves, out of the game. The referee appeared to favour Wales maybe he is married to a sheep

I'm just swinging my arms and kicking my feet, if you run into them that's your fault.

No, I disagree. He swung his arm at him throat high deliberately. He knew what he was doing and as you say, it was cynical, and I think it was worthy of a red card. As they say in rugby he 'clothes-lined' him. Very dangerous play.

I'll be honest I kind of expected that yesterday Warnock's team old manned us It was like a young prospect being thrown in too soon with a still capable old pro Cardiff and Colin's experience was the key in their victory they knew If they roughed us up we would most likely react poorly.

It was a good learning curve yesterday hopefully the lads react well to the lesson we taught yesterday.

doesnt look a hard hit at all..yes, looks like he do it deliberately but no red card for me..

Back