• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1 Cardiff 2 - verdict thread

Which Cardiff player tried to take Bright out from behind nearly breaking his own leg in the process?
Bright skipped round him only for the fucker to kick out at him with his other leg not once but twice until Bright eventually went down.

Was at the game on Saturday and didn't get home until really late. Then very busy yesterday, so first opportunity to post anything.

Firstly, great to see so many faces from the forum before & after.

Basically, Cardiff (and Warnock) did a complete and utter number on us. We could all tell you how this game was going to go beforehand, unfortunately Nuno thought we'd be good enough to stick to the game plan and knock it around them. We weren't.

Defence looked shaky for the first time since Nuno took over. Boly seemed to struggle up against Zohore (who was excellent), which is a concern because this is the first real physical test he's had and on the most part, you'd say he probably failed. Boly *did* bring the ball out of defence well, so that side of his game is of no concern - but he also lost the flight of the ball for their second, which cost us dearly (we were on top at that point).

Miranda had a stinker. I was sat right in front of him for their first and he backed off a good 15-20 yards allowing them to slot the ball through for a shot on goal. He also lost out physically to Zohore and Junior Hoilett on a number of occasions.

I don't have any faith in Coady. Once the ball has gone past Boly (so Boly is effectively in front of the ball) and we are relying on Coady to mop things up, unless it's a Stearman-esque last minute goal line clearance, I just don't trust that he can cope physically with the centre forwards of this division. I like his organisational skills and how vocal he is - but do I see him in that position in our best 11 moving forward? No I do not.

Douglas has obviously got a knock, but even before that he was having his worst game in a Wolves shirt. And rather than having the freedom of Molineux, they pushed right on to him and he actually had to defend (which he didn't do very well).

Sitting and watching the game with a neutral was very eye-opening. For what it's worth, he felt that the referee missed things for both sides, though he admits there were a lot of calls that went against us (Jota's shot for a corner, Saiss being assaulted, and on one occasion in the second half, Jota literally passed the ball to Doherty, and their lad ran in and fell over his foot - the referee gave Cardiff a free kick!). He also said Bright was our "worst" player, which I think is interesting as I felt he had a pretty good game and he was the wrong player to bring off, and he was disappointed with Neves.

I felt for Bonatini. He worked hard but was so isolated he just couldn't get involved (and now it looks like we're about to sign another two forwards). Pleased he got on the scoresheet.

There's plenty more to say about that performance, but it's mainly already been covered. Cardiff came with a gameplan, they executed it perfectly and at the end of the day, they won't care less about our moaning as they have the three points. I still think we'll go to their place later on in the season and play them off the park, but it was their day and are entitled to enjoy it.

The question I would ask is could Wolves have found enough rhythm to win the game if the referee had been competent. The answer is YES, so we move on and believe in Nuno and his tactical thinking.

The question I would ask is could Wolves have found enough rhythm to win the game if the referee had been competent. The answer is YES, so we move on and believe in Nuno and his tactical thinking.

You think? We had one shot on target in the game. Personally, I felt we lacked a real cutting edge in and amongst the front three. Cardiff defended well and we were no where near good enough going forward to hurt them. That can't be put down to the referee.

You think? We had one shot on target in the game. Personally, I felt we lacked a real cutting edge in and amongst the front three. Cardiff defended well and we were no where near good enough going forward to hurt them. That can't be put down to the referee.

I wouldn't try and rate our performance on Saturday because a mixture of people prevented us from playing to our system of play. I doubt those same problems will occur again.

@Jinky, I'd have to echo the person you sat with and happened be a neutral and say that we were also niggly and had our moments. Cardiff were more combative and a little more sneaky at times, however, I was getting quite annoyed at us for giving silly, needless fouls away and there were a few occasions we never got called up on some tackles/niggles.

I think Jinky's report above is a very fair reflection of the game and mirrors my thoughts almost entirely, with the exception of mentioning Doherty. Not quite sure what he did in Saturday or indeed attempted to do, other than hug the touchline in front of the dugouts - no real impact going forward and certainly not help defensively.

I'm not a fan of a back three (so my judgement may be a little skewed) especially when they are as 'spread' in the way we operate, but having now seen Miranda four times [including at Shrewsbury] if his name was Danny and he was from Brierley Hill, he'd be getting all manner of abuse. I'm no Baath apologist, but he must be sitting there on Saturday wondering what he's done wrong. We needed an upgrade on him for sure, I'm just not convinced Miranda is it.

The three not only got tore apart by an admittedly impressive Cardiff front line but also failed to deal with every ball into the box, both from set pieces and open plan. We were very fortunate to only concede two and the scrambles and hacks in the first half especially could have seen us well behind before we actually conceded.

Was at the game on Saturday and didn't get home until really late. Then very busy yesterday, so first opportunity to post anything.

Firstly, great to see so many faces from the forum before & after.

Basically, Cardiff (and Warnock) did a complete and utter number on us. We could all tell you how this game was going to go beforehand, unfortunately Nuno thought we'd be good enough to stick to the game plan and knock it around them. We weren't.

Defence looked shaky for the first time since Nuno took over. Boly seemed to struggle up against Zohore (who was excellent), which is a concern because this is the first real physical test he's had and on the most part, you'd say he probably failed. Boly *did* bring the ball out of defence well, so that side of his game is of no concern - but he also lost the flight of the ball for their second, which cost us dearly (we were on top at that point).

Miranda had a stinker. I was sat right in front of him for their first and he backed off a good 15-20 yards allowing them to slot the ball through for a shot on goal. He also lost out physically to Zohore and Junior Hoilett on a number of occasions.

I don't have any faith in Coady. Once the ball has gone past Boly (so Boly is effectively in front of the ball) and we are relying on Coady to mop things up, unless it's a Stearman-esque last minute goal line clearance, I just don't trust that he can cope physically with the centre forwards of this division. I like his organisational skills and how vocal he is - but do I see him in that position in our best 11 moving forward? No I do not.

Douglas has obviously got a knock, but even before that he was having his worst game in a Wolves shirt. And rather than having the freedom of Molineux, they pushed right on to him and he actually had to defend (which he didn't do very well).

Sitting and watching the game with a neutral was very eye-opening. For what it's worth, he felt that the referee missed things for both sides, though he admits there were a lot of calls that went against us (Jota's shot for a corner, Saiss being assaulted, and on one occasion in the second half, Jota literally passed the ball to Doherty, and their lad ran in and fell over his foot - the referee gave Cardiff a free kick!). He also said Bright was our "worst" player, which I think is interesting as I felt he had a pretty good game and he was the wrong player to bring off, and he was disappointed with Neves.

I felt for Bonatini. He worked hard but was so isolated he just couldn't get involved (and now it looks like we're about to sign another two forwards). Pleased he got on the scoresheet.

There's plenty more to say about that performance, but it's mainly already been covered. Cardiff came with a gameplan, they executed it perfectly and at the end of the day, they won't care less about our moaning as they have the three points. I still think we'll go to their place later on in the season and play them off the park, but it was their day and are entitled to enjoy it.

From the highlights it didn't look like backing off was Miranda's problem for the 1st goal, more that when he decided to make a challenge it was fucking amateur hour stuff that did nothing to stop Hoilett and completely took himself out of the game. Why the fuck is he even trying to make the challenge with his left foot?!

I thought Miranda struggle Saturday but to compare him to Batth is strange. He's so much better as a footballer and in the other league games he has defended very well. When Hause is back he would be my central defender of the three with Hause and boly outside of him.

From the highlights it didn't look like backing off was Miranda's problem for the 1st goal, more that when he decided to make a challenge it was fucking amateur hour stuff that did nothing to stop Hoilett and completely took himself out of the game. Why the fuck is he even trying to make the challenge with his left foot?!

He backed off for 15-20 yards before making that ridiculous attempt of a tackle. He then fell over, attempted to pull his man down (and failed) before Hoilett crossed it in to an unmarked player to finish. The goal from start to finish, from our perspective, was a shocker.

Likewise with the second goal - long goal kick, mix up between Neves/Saiss, cock up by Boly, lack of marking/shape allowing Mendez-Laing a free shot, and Ruddy lets it through his body/legs.

Both goals were avoidable. I suspect Nuno will be working them hard in training this week.

He backed off for 15-20 yards before making that ridiculous attempt of a tackle. He then fell over, attempted to pull his man down (and failed) before Hoilett crossed it in to an unmarked player to finish. The goal from start to finish, from our perspective, was a shocker.

Likewise with the second goal - long goal kick, mix up between Neves/Saiss, cock up by Boly, lack of marking/shape allowing Mendez-Laing a free shot, and Ruddy lets it through his body/legs.

Both goals were avoidable. I suspect Nuno will be working them hard in training this week.

Watching the highlights Doherty wasn't in the picture when Hoilett picked up the ball on halfway and he had the freedom to run that 15-20 yards. Doherty only just got back to the edge if the box as Ralls shoots.

No excusing Miranda as it was a lazy challenge but surely you'd expect Doherty to be far closer to play on his side of the pitch?

Doherty was one our weak links on Saturday. Apart from top piece of skill in the 1st half, where he left their full back on his arse he did nothing. So many attacks broke down because of a poor first touch, his decision making with the ball was poor and we needed him to defend but he didn't (v Boro he was required to defend more and did it well). It was very frustrating watching him in the 2nd half.

Watching the highlights Doherty wasn't in the picture when Hoilett picked up the ball on halfway and he had the freedom to run that 15-20 yards. Doherty only just got back to the edge if the box as Ralls shoots.

No excusing Miranda as it was a lazy challenge but surely you'd expect Doherty to be far closer to play on his side of the pitch?

You've seen Doherty "defend" before, yes? :icon_lol:

I thought Miranda struggle Saturday but to compare him to Batth is strange. He's so much better as a footballer and in the other league games he has defended very well. When Hause is back he would be my central defender of the three with Hause and boly outside of him.

Miranda is undoubtedly a better 'footballer' than Baath, if you want a defender carrying the ball out or distributing it to feet. I'm not sure he's shown himself to be a better defender yet on the four occasions I've seen him. I've yet to see a commanding header won from a ball into the box [Boly has also struggling with this as well, although he wins must outside the box] and he's been second best (or fouled the man unnecessarily) when isolated one on one in the channel. I'm not saying he can't or won't improve, but I've nor seen an upgrade 'defensively' yet.

I've also compared him to Baath as he was his direct replacement, albeit in a three as opposed to a two. It would have been strange to compare him to someone who played in a different position.

Obviously, but I think there's some mitigation fir Miranda for the first with "can't defend won't defend" in front of him.

Oh I agree...Miranda will learn from this as will Boly (who I thought played well but for 1 lapse) and it won't be long until Doherty is a distant memory and 3rd choice behind Marshall and Phil

I also made the point about Doherty. My understanding of a RWB was they are a defender that gets forward. He just occupies a wide midfield role, although to be fair so too did Graham against much more limited opposition in Yeovil, so it may be under instruction.

Does leave the right sided CB/right of a three very exposed though.

I haven't seen the Cardiff game but Roderick has been very good so far IMO. Really impressive vs Hull.

I'm not disputing that he backed off, but I don't see that as an issue, sometimes you've got to retreat when someone is running at you with the ball, you keep yourself in the game and try to make life difficult for the attacker, you don't always have to try and take the ball off them directly. Miranda's problem was the shit challenge that he didn't really need to commit to, not the retreat, he could've continued to stand up to Hoilett and showed him down the line where he had no support and see if he could contain him down there, instead he took himself completely out of the game with a wank challenge and gave Hoilett the freedom to pick out a team mate.

Back