• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1 Cardiff 2 - verdict thread

Just watched the game.

Thought it was a pretty even game tbh, just a few silly defensive errors separated the 2 sides. I don't think either manager will be especially pleased with how their team played in open play but Nuno wont be massively worried about the loss either, that could've gone either way.

Have to say I didn't think the ref was as bad as has been made out on here. Cardiff were physical but not overly so IMO (apart from the Saiss one, the officials clearly just missed that one altogether and just guessed when they booked Damour. They knew he'd done something).

To be fair, it was impossible for the referee to be as bad as made out in the Matchday thread. Regarding the caution for Damour, just because the referee knew something had happened does not mean he should caution him. If the referee and his assistants did not see what happened, then no action should have been taken against the player.

Of his course his performance wasn't as bad as stated. Those posting on Saturday evening are still posting with the emotion of the game fresh in their memory.

Does the full replay show the 5 or so off the ball incidents? It was those that got people pissed off more than on the ball challenges

He was absolute shite. Cardiff weren't lunging into tackles etc but the ref allowed them to get away with just about every other trick in the gamesmanship book.

To be fair, it was impossible for the referee to be as bad as made out in the Matchday thread. Regarding the caution for Damour, just because the referee knew something had happened doht es not mean he should caution him. If the referee and his assistants did not see what happened, then no action should have been taken against the player.

This incident happened right in front of the 4th official who was no more than 10 feet away. If none of the 3 officials saw it, isn't he allowed to comment. If not what is the point of a 4th official?

With Saturday I do think it comes down to the ref. A lot of what Cardiff were doing would've been OK, borderline, whatever, but if the ref wasn't a complete rackoff there'd have been several calls, perhaps some cards, our players don't feel like they are just taking whatever the hell Cardiff want to do to them right now. It could've panned out differently. Cardiff were decent otherwise though and we may still have had a few mares so maybe a 1-1, 2-2, who's to say. I'm not bitter about Cardiff really

This incident happened right in front of the 4th official who was no more than 10 feet away. If none of the 3 officials saw it, isn't he allowed to comment. If not what is the point of a 4th official?

The main reason for a fourth official is in case one of three Matchday officials gets injured. Gone are the days when the tannoy blasts out asking if anyone in the crowd can run the line. He has many other duties, but given the disdain towards referees and their assistants on here I shall just leave it with the most important reason for a fourth official. Something that football league clubs had been wanted for years.

Of his course his performance wasn't as bad as stated. Those posting on Saturday evening are still posting with the emotion of the game fresh in their memory.

Does the full replay show the 5 or so off the ball incidents? It was those that got people pissed off more than on the ball challenges

In the cold light of day, after the emotion has faded - that was still one of the worst refereeing performances I've seen in 30 odd years of watching footy.

You're right though, it wasn't that Cardiff were full of crazy challenges, bar the ralls one, and the saiss throat one, it was all the off the ball stuff, it was completely ridiculous that he did nothing at all about it all game, when it was clear - if he and his team had missed a couple, fair enough they're only human - but all of them? Not possible, he either bottled it, or made a clear decision to let it go. Either is diabolical.

As for the keepers timewasting, after some considerable time, and when it got to the stage that our players were getting the ball for him and putting it on the six yard line for him, the ref finally had a word with him - and then proceeded to let him carry it round the six yard box every chance he got, delaying the kick and wasting time, with no action.

He didn't do his job properly, I don't know why. i can only hope there was an assessor there.

The main reason for a fourth official is in case one of three Matchday officials gets injured. Gone are the days when the tannoy blasts out asking if anyone in the crowd can run the line. He has many other duties, but given the disdain towards referees and their assistants on here I shall just leave it with the most important reason for a fourth official. Something that football league clubs had been wanted for years.

Boo.

Hoo.

Tell me the new highlights vid is all the fouls :icon_lol:

In the cold light of day, after the emotion has faded - that was still one of the worst refereeing performances I've seen in 30 odd years of watching footy.

You're right though, it wasn't that Cardiff were full of crazy challenges, bar the ralls one, and the saiss throat one, it was all the off the ball stuff, it was completely ridiculous that he did nothing at all about it all game, when it was clear - if he and his team had missed a couple, fair enough they're only human - but all of them? Not possible, he either bottled it, or made a clear decision to let it go. Either is diabolical.

As for the keepers timewasting, after some considerable time, and when it got to the stage that our players were getting the ball for him and putting it on the six yard line for him, the ref finally had a word with him - and then proceeded to let him carry it round the six yard box every chance he got, delaying the kick and wasting time, with no action.

He didn't do his job properly, I don't know why. i can only hope there was an assessor there.

There was an assessor there.

I'm still of the opinion that the referee was as bad as i thought he was on the day. The Ralls challenge on Douglas and the Peltier challenge on Jota were rightly booked and i had no problem with that, he couldn't not book them as it was on the ball but he and his colleagues missed every off the ball incident and at least 3 clear handballs.

The off the ball incidents is what i had a problem with because it stopped us playing our game, it stopped us playing into Bonatini when he's being pulled to the ground, it stopped Jota playing 1-2s or making a third man run as he was held or tripped up and yet despite numerous calls for the ref and the other officials to keep an eye on it from fans, coaches and Coady they repeatedly ignored the incidents or missed them. Either way i found it poor.

Just watched Saturday's game (having not been around at the time) with the benefit of comments on here.

Were Cardiff cute & blocking us off/pulling players down/wasting time - definitely, though massively aided by a ref who could/should have dealt with that within the first 15 mins after which it would have had to stop. They had though worked out the need to sit on particular players and clearly had individual targets to man mark & prevent them having time to play the pass.

Negated our wing backs, who are critical in this formation though not helped by Doherty not being that influential (& clearly we do need someone there who can go past his man on occasions which he can't so will always pass backwards) & Douglas being somewhat ineffective after he got clattered after approx 20mins.

Was impressed with Zohore - whilst he didn't score & could have looked peripheral, he was the fulcrum which made their attack work. If he goes (which has been intimated) then they will be far less effective.

Not a disaster - mistakes made for their goals & a need to work out how to deal with a team that will work hard, niggle at us & have sufficieant ability to take advantage of any mistake at the back. Nuno will learn how to do this (as someone else has said Warnock 500+ games in the Championship - Nuno 4)

Has he been demoted for Saturday or was he always going to be refereeing in league 1?

Sorry I cannot answer that. Referees in the EFL are made aware before the season starts that they could officiate in any of the three divisions. As the season wears on, the better referees will find themselves in the championship on a regular basis.

Surely they should know who the best referees are Frank? It's not like they are brand new every year.

After a few days of thought I'm of the opinion our defending meant we lost and the ref prevented us from having a real chance if winning

Back