• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1 Cardiff 2 - verdict thread

You think? We had one shot on target in the game. Personally, I felt we lacked a real cutting edge in and amongst the front three. Cardiff defended well and we were no where near good enough going forward to hurt them. That can't be put down to the referee.

I have no idea where you've got that stat from Jinks but it's wrong. We had 12 attempts on goal, we had a shot in the first half that forced a save and there were two in the goal itself. Apart from that our shooting was poor. Jota, Bright, Saiss, Bonatini and Dicko all wasted golden opportunities and we should be getting them on target.

I think there's an unnecessarily negative way of looking at the game. We were rouged up off the ball a lot and a stronger referee would've clamped down on it and we would have had more free-kicks and they would've had more yellow cards. But we were sloppy in possession in the central and final thirds, nothing to do with pressure just sloppy. Saiss and Doherty were particularly to blame for this and even the great Neves decided to randomly pass the ball to Morrison and Bamba on occasion.

And let's not get all misty eyed over Cardiff playing well, they didn't, they capitalised on two defensive mistakes and a lazy right wing back reverting to type. Miranda made a bad error by backing off and making a poor tackle, either make the tackle early or try and pressure the ball carrier into a wide area and wait for cover, he did neither. Having said that, Coady has had an absolute shocker as he moves across to Hoillett at the pace of Kaspars Gorkss. Either he goes across to make a challenge or he covers Ralls, neither of those things happened and he gets caught in no mans land making no decision.

Boly clearly makes a mistake when missing the header for the second goal but again Coady does nothing, he either needs to clear the ball and Zohore out or send Douglas and Miranda across. Essentially Coady as a sweeper was very poor on Saturday and that should be part of his job as the middle CB.

He also said Bright was our "worst" player, which I think is interesting as I felt he had a pretty good game and he was the wrong player to bring off, and he was disappointed with Neves.

My missus came and I asked her who she thought played the best and she described Bright.

I wasn't overly impressed, but I haven't been to date. His control and mad runs are great but I'd like us to start Jota and Cav now for few games.

My missus came and I asked her who she thought played the best and she described Bright.

I wasn't overly impressed, but I haven't been to date. His control and mad runs are great but I'd like us to start Jota and Cav now for few games.

Bright got into two positions to shoot and failed to hit the target with both but then his close control and simple passing were excellent and he held the ball up at times brilliantly allowing Doherty to amble up alongside him. He also fed Saiss with a beautiful defence splitting ball.

However, Cav came on and immediately ran at Morrison showing the cart horse he actually is and his first shot forced the 'keeper into a save and subsequently the goal. He was far better than Bright and Jota looked more comfortable too. By that point though our wing backs were toast and I think that's why Nuno took off Douglas and played Cav as a winger in a lop sided 3-5-2.

Almost worked too.

He took Douglas off because his ankle was fooked. Probably should have been off a lot earlier as he cleary struggled with running at full pace and quick turns after the challenge on him early doors

He took Douglas off because his ankle was fooked. Probably should have been off a lot earlier as he cleary struggled with running at full pace and quick turns after the challenge on him early doors

That's why I'm a bit surprised he didn't have Vinagre on the bench instead of Batth or Bennett.

That's why I'm a bit surprised he didn't have Vinagre on the bench instead of Batth or Bennett.

I guess if Douglas had gone off earlier it would have been Bennett on for him (he played him at RWB in pre-season) and moved Doherty to cover the left.

Bit overly defenisve for me. I would've thought Coady could do that job and move Miranda central with Batth the right side of the 3.

Nuno hasn't had a missed step yet though.

Miranda should have Carried on backing off. Hoilett was going nowhere. Why he put in a terrible challenge which then made him fall over and fail to take Hoilett with him was terrible.

If he just stood him up, best case scenario for Cardiff was a cross cannoning off him for a corner.

One thing I have noticed with Boly and Miranda. They are both keen to put a foot in early and commit. That's great if you always win the ball, but when you don't you look a right tit and potentially cost your team a goal.

I agree with this - we're unlikely to sub one of the centre backs to try and change a game, and saiss could cover in an emergency, so why do we need two centre backs on the bench?

Personally I'd have had graham on the bench, we were crying out for someone to go at their defence...

Miranda got himself ina really awkward body position when he committed the challenge, went with his wrong foot and so he lost his balance and looked a right mug.

Maybe Vinagre is just not seen as quite ready for first team football in the league? We will no doubt see him on Wednesday mind.

And agree PQ, I think Graham would have helped us a lot Saturday.

Surprised there are so few mentions of Ruddy in the second goal. I usually cut keepers some slack when it goes between their legs but at that distance I think Ruddy is at fault. That makes it two goals in two games that I'd put on him.

It was hit very hard and along the ground underneath him. It's very difficult to get down that quickly to a low hit shot.

It was almost 20 yards out, though. If it's from inside the box then fair enough. But at that distance and with where Mendez-Laing picked up the ball, I'd expect better.

I'm with Al, shoddy keeping, just like Lloris on Chelsea's winner yesterday.

Have the full 90mins video gone up on the OS yet? - Can't seem to get into that (despite having paid my subscription) as there is a missing link to get you through to any video replays!!!

Was out all of Sat afternoon so would like to watch this, despite knowing the result.

Yes it went up on the site yesterday according to Wolves Twitter.

Have the full 90mins video gone up on the OS yet? - Can't seem to get into that (despite having paid my subscription) as there is a missing link to get you through to any video replays!!!

Was out all of Sat afternoon so would like to watch this, despite knowing the result.

On the News page it is in the Middle of the second row of stories (next to Coady talking about the Cardiff Defeat) https://www.wolves.co.uk/news/

Just watched the game.

Thought it was a pretty even game tbh, just a few silly defensive errors separated the 2 sides. I don't think either manager will be especially pleased with how their team played in open play but Nuno wont be massively worried about the loss either, that could've gone either way.

Have to say I didn't think the ref was as bad as has been made out on here. Cardiff were physical but not overly so IMO (apart from the Saiss one, the officials clearly just missed that one altogether and just guessed when they booked Damour. They knew he'd done something).

Back