• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1 Cardiff 2 - verdict thread

I did not see the game, but I do not think for one second that the referee was corrupt.

Instead of blaming the referee, perhaps we should look at the defending for Cardiffs goals. They had nothing to do with the referee.

I don't think we're blaming the referee for the defeat, but his performance overall was disgraceful. He didn't clamp down on some of the niggling fouls early enough. What the linesmen were doing too was terrible, not watching for any off the ball incidents.

I did not see the game, but I do not think for one second that the referee was corrupt.

Instead of blaming the referee, perhaps we should look at the defending for Cardiffs goals. They had nothing to do with the referee.

Everyone has said that the defending for the goals was our fault Frank and that's why we lost but the referee was a disgrace. Just like i was speaking to you about on Friday night, he missed everything and they were easy decisions to give. He let Cardiff get away with disrupting our play because he and his officials didn't punish the off the ball challenges.

Corrupt or incompetent the effect is the same.

No-one is saying the ref is to blame for the loss, what I'm saying is that the ref missing obvious fouls, sending off, handballs etc favoured Cardiff more than us.

With a decent ref Cardiff may well have won anyway, but the ref we had meant Cardiff were allowed to stop us playing with illegal tactics. The refs job is to enforce the rules of the game, he did not do that

Fair comment Gents. You were there and thought the referee was poor, so I accept that. But I cannot understand how an experienced championship referee can be corrupt or incompetent. A referee doesn't get to that level and stay there by accident. He gets assessed in every game, so if he was that bad an official he would have been removed from the league list. Also in the match reports I have read there does not seem to be any great criticism of the match officials.

On the ball I thought Cardiff were very good and provided a real threat. Miranda was left to deal with things quite a lot with Doc nowhere in sight (realised this afterwards he must track back better)

Off the ball Cardiff were terrible and the ref let them get away with it...constanst trips, shirt pulls and hurling people to the floor as well as raising an arm to the face elbow or not that's a straight red ball was not even close.

They stopped our off the ball movement it was going on all over the pitch, and it worked for them.

They didn't press any harder than Hull did but we couldn't settle in to our passing game as well as we had previously.

I also think we looked a bit leggy from the start. Some players are looking tired and it's a welcome break this week I suspect I will be watching the reserves against Southampton.

All that said when we drew level the momentum was with us hence the crazy time wasting how their keeper didn't get a card is beyond me.

All things considered it was a relatively narrow loss and a good introduction for Jota in particular, I remember Costa suffering the same but gradually toughened up and became a strong little bugger.

I'm still very optimistic despite a poor showing we have plenty more to come.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Fair comment Gents. You were there and thought the referee was poor, so I accept that. But I cannot understand how an experienced championship referee can be corrupt or incompetent. A referee doesn't get to that level and stay there by accident. He gets assessed in every game, so if he was that bad an official he would have been removed from the league list. Also in the match reports I have read there does not seem to be any great criticism of the match officials.

I don't think he was corrupt, well i hope not but he was certainly influenced by something Frank. Like i've said and others have too he missed countless off the ball incidents, failed to send Damour off for the arm to Saiss's throat and just missed simple little things like the deflection on Jota's shot and 4 handballs in the first half. It was clear we weren't going to be getting anything from him when Peltier tripped Jota up off the ball early on and nothing was given, then when a Cardiff player was down and we were breaking he blew up so he could have treatment. Surprise surprise, there was fuck all wrong with him and he didn't look hurt when he went down.

If i was Nuno and had to rate him i'd give him 0 out of 100 and show them all of the things he missed or failed to penalise and refuse to ever have him again. In saying all that our defending was just as bad for their 2 goals and Nuno has to sort that too.

I didn't call him "corrupt" I said that it was "the closest to corrupt you will see"... He was fucking awful, his enforcement of the Laws of the Game was rubbish and the assessor should give him an absolute arse kicking. He should be stood down for a minimum of two games and his assistants with him

I thought Cardiffs positional play off the ball was excellent, they cut out any dangerous zones and diagonal passes through the thirds. Yes, they were physical, that's been addressed, however, they most certainly pressed us better than Hull and did not allow any players any space or time on the ball. Secondly, when we did have possession it wasn't Cardiff's 'clogging' that stopped us playing it was their players defending the correct spaces and being fully aware of what we were trying to do.

We only looked good yesterday for around 15 minutes before half-time, in which I don't think we really troubled the keeper, by that time Cardiff could have been 1 up. We looked very poor defensively and offensively. Did they disrupt our play at times? Yes. Were we also niggly, especially Saiss? Yes. Even with a different ref I'm confident Cardiff would have won that game yesterday.

I'm not on here slating us or our manager, I think we will be fine in the long run and will make the play-offs, that being said, I think it's fair to highlight that it was our own inadequacies that resulted in the defeat yesterday and also Cardiff's cutting edge in attack and solidity at the back.

If lots of illegal blocking is going on off the ball is it the assistants responsibility to raise their concerns with the man in the middle?

FYI here's a video of the Saiss incident:

https://twitter.com/wolves_babble/status/899233907731820544

Never a red for me. It's an attempted tug / shirt pull. The contact in the face is unintentional and not excessive. Yellow was the correct call.

That's not to say I didn't think the referee was still appalling.

Shirt pull? He just swings his arm round and hits him the face from what I can see, no need for him to be swinging his arm at all. Letter of the law is a red card.

Yep, it's one thing to do that if Saiss is stationary. But when he's running past and the player raised an elbow face high there should only be one outcome

Should have been a definite red card for the incident on Saiss.

Definitely doesn't try and pull him. Sticks his arm out and hits him in the throat, dangerous play and a red card. Obviously not as bad as it could have been but you can't do that.

Corrupt no. Weak as piss yes. That said you know what Warnock teams are going to do. Hateful as it is its a compliment that they can't match us for football so they tried and succeeded with their spoiler plan. Good lesson to learn especially in the transfer window. Yesterdays defeat equals two more signings I reckon lol. Would have taken 9 points from 4 games so I won't let it spoil my birthday.

FYI here's a video of the Saiss incident:

https://twitter.com/wolves_babble/status/899233907731820544

Never a red for me. It's an attempted tug / shirt pull. The contact in the face is unintentional and not excessive. Yellow was the correct call.

That's not to say I didn't think the referee was still appalling.
Certainly doesn't look anywhere as bad as I expected given other comments on the situation. Don't think it's a blatant elbow, perhaps just trying to put his arm across to block the run or make himself bigger to go around. A bit like Robson-Kanu for me, it's a bit reckless and uncalled for but it doesn't look all that malicious.

It's not malicious but you can't raise your arm like that, catch someone in the neck/face and not get a red card. He should have walked and it summed the ref up perfectly. He didn't have a clue what the fuck was going on all game.

Certainly doesn't look anywhere as bad as I expected given other comments on the situation. Don't think it's a blatant elbow, perhaps just trying to put his arm across to block the run or make himself bigger to go around. A bit like Robson-Kanu for me, it's a bit reckless and uncalled for but it doesn't look all that malicious.

Seen as one incident I'd agree with you but when you see all the incidents in context you can see it's clearly deliberate. The blocking of runs, pulling players over, late tackles, pushing and shoving off the ball was all let go by the ref. If he'd have stamped on it early then Cardiff would've been forced to play against our faster flowing football. If they'd have carried on Ralls, Peltier and Morrison would've all been given reds.

Having said all that, we weren't at the races, not bullied just not accurate with the passing or shooting opportunities we created. Bright had one he scooped over the bar as did Jota and Saiss scuffed his effort from the edge of the box with the 'keeper to beat after a delicious ball from Bright.

We were slack all over the place for large portions of the game, simple passes going astray, slow decision making in defence and on the ball, Doc reverting to type and Doyglas getting kicked to ribbons.

I think Zahore was the difference, he held the ball up, played people in and had a physical presence we lacked with Bonatini.

We got punished for two mistakes but in truth Cardiff had two other very good chances to score and Ruddy saved well. We had several chances but until Cav came on we weren't great in stretching their full backs or centre backs.

Everybody loses games and I think the 4 teams we've played so far will all be top six and I think we are better than all of them. Just didn't click yesterday but that happens.

agreed

Have to agree with this, difficult from where I was in the SB to see, but from the video online, one would have to conclude that Sais made quite a meal of it. Yellow card at most, but that doesn't in any way alter the fact that the Referee's performance was utterly appalling.

Back