• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1 Cardiff 2 - verdict thread

Reality teams will try to copy what Cardiff did but most won't have the power going forward that Cardiff did yesterday. If the lesser sides in the division try it they'll pose little threat going forward.

You know it's exciting times ahead when after a loss even the twitter idiots aren't losing their heads.

Some good highlights in that video, particularly the tackle on Douglas and the arm to the throat of Saiss. There's a few other things that the ref missed like one of the handballs, Jota's deflected shot, Peltier pulling Bonatini down off the ball which was the kind of thing Cardiff were doing all game.

Same old thing don't get to up when you win or to down when you lose, noticed on my drive back yesterday couple of Albion fans on the radio were quickly putting the knife in.
Learning curve yesterday and we still have the likes of Costa to come back and any potential new signings.

Same old thing don't get to up when you win or to down when you lose, noticed on my drive back yesterday couple of Albion fans on the radio were quickly putting the knife in.
Learning curve yesterday and we still have the likes of Costa to come back and any potential new signings.

Yeah other fans are quick to put the knife in because they are worried we are on the way to something pretty good. I've seen some complete nonsense about yesterdays game like we were outplayed or bullied etc when it really wasn't the case. Zohore and NML caused our defence problems yes and were stronger than our defenders but we were hardly bullied. A better ref keeping control of the off the ball antics of Cardiff allows us to play our game and i think we win it as when we were on top and passing it around we looked good and a threat with our best player to come back and those that played still with massive room for improvement.

I didn't see the game, but if the key to our defeat was the press then we need to find a solution and quickly as it's the obvious way to combat the way we play and you don't need to be a tactical genius to implement it.

I expected Cardiff to go that way and in the build up thread predicted it would be our hardest game so far, what I didn't predict was the amount of opportunities we seemed to give up, it would seem we particularly need to tighten up at set pieces. I hate zonal marking, I hope we spend a week practicing man to man and revert back to that on Saturday.

Yeah other fans are quick to put the knife in because they are worried we are on the way to something pretty good. I've seen some complete nonsense about yesterdays game like we were outplayed or bullied etc when it really wasn't the case. Zohore and NML caused our defence problems yes and were stronger than our defenders but we were hardly bullied. A better ref keeping control of the off the ball antics of Cardiff allows us to play our game and i think we win it as when we were on top and passing it around we looked good and a threat with our best player to come back and those that played still with massive room for improvement.

I agree we were all told not to get carried away after winning three on the spin but it's ok for rival fans to say we've been found out after one defeat. Football fans are probably the most hypocritical sport fans on the planet.
Whilst the ref was incompetent to new levels Cardiff did deserve all 3 points regardless of that.

A better ref and linesmen would have :-

Seen them down to 10 men
Stopped all the off the ball blocking
Stopped all the going down injured nonsense
Stopped the goalkeeper taking ages for each goal kick

These are all factors in the result

Without all that bullshit we may have had a chance, Cardiff did look better but when we got our game going we were creating chances. Cardiff were able to cynically make sure we never really got going properly

P.s. I would have had no problem with one of ours doing zohore, even if it meant a red

A better ref and linesmen would have :-

Seen them down to 10 men
Stopped all the off the ball blocking
Stopped all the going down injured nonsense
Stopped the goalkeeper taking ages for each goal kick

These are all factors in the result

Without all that bull$#@! we may have had a chance, Cardiff did look better but when we got our game going we were creating chances. Cardiff were able to cynically make sure we never really got going properly

P.s. I would have had no problem with one of ours doing zohore, even if it meant a red

Reality is we have to overcome this and not start sounding like Arsenal fans every time a side plays similar tactics.
End of the day both goals conceded were from poor defending from ourselves.

Reality is we have to overcome this and not start sounding like Arsenal fans every time a side plays similar tactics.
End of the day both goals conceded were from poor defending from ourselves.

How do we overcome this? If referres aren't going to enforce the rules of the game what do we do?

How do we overcome this? If referres aren't going to enforce the rules of the game what do we do?

Do what your good at keep possession of the ball don't let knock you of your game plan. Even with a top notch ref yesterday we'd still have struggled. If we don't overcome it we'll drop a lot more points in similar fashion.

You have to vary your tactics, the out ball can't always be the wing backs, sometimes into midfield, sometimes over the top, sometimes the centre half steps up into midfield themselves. The high press leaves space in behind we need to be able to find that

Zonal marking isn't the problem as I said before, it's the execution. For the bamba effort that hits the bar, for some reason not one player goes and tries to win the ball. The two players at the back need to be going and winning that ball

Zonal marking isn't the problem as I said before, it's the execution. For the bamba effort that hits the bar, for some reason not one player goes and tries to win the ball. The two players at the back need to be going and winning that ball
Yet, if Bamba was someone's man then it would increase the likelihood of someone challenging him. Zonal for me is all OK in principle, but allows players to duck their responsibilities. I appreciate we've let countless goals in over the years going man to man, but at least then you can hold someone to account.

Some good highlights in that video, particularly the tackle on Douglas and the arm to the throat of Saiss. There's a few other things that the ref missed like one of the handballs, Jota's deflected shot, Peltier pulling Bonatini down off the ball which was the kind of thing Cardiff were doing all game.

That deflected shot by Jota...How the hell did the referee not see it? He had clear sight and just ignored it. I'm sorry but that was as close to corrupt officiating as you are likely to get without the ref actually being Warnock!

Do what your good at keep possession of the ball don't let knock you of your game plan. Even with a top notch ref yesterday we'd still have struggled. If we don't overcome it we'll drop a lot more points in similar fashion.

The thing is though that's what we were trying but the amount of pulls, pushes and kicks off the ball to delay our passing was stopping our players making runs and halt our interplay. That's hard to combat when the referee is letting them do it because you can't stop them doing it. If they were putting in bad tackles when our players had the ball i don't think we would have had a problem but that wasn't the case apart from the challenge on Douglas and the one on Jota by Peltier who is a thug. (he snapped Costa at their place last year)

I think we'll be more than fine because teams aren't going to do that and referees surely can't let them get away with it every week when it's as obvious as it was yesterday.

The thing is though that's what we were trying but the amount of pulls, pushes and kicks off the ball to delay our passing was stopping our players making runs and halt our interplay. That's hard to combat when the referee is letting them do it because you can't stop them doing it. If they were putting in bad tackles when our players had the ball i don't think we would have had a problem but that wasn't the case apart from the challenge on Douglas and the one on Jota by Peltier who is a thug. (he snapped Costa at their place last year)

I think we'll be more than fine because teams aren't going to do that and referees surely can't let them get away with it every week when it's as obvious as it was yesterday.

That's exactly my point, one solution would be to nobble their best player. They're doing it to us anyway and them losing zohore would hurt them much more than a red would hurt us. Plus I fancy it would make other teams think twice if they know we can "mix it"

That deflected shot by Jota...How the hell did the referee not see it? He had clear sight and just ignored it. I'm sorry but that was as close to corrupt officiating as you are likely to get without the ref actually being Warnock!

I was in the North Bank and could clearly see it was a corner, I take it there are referee assessor at every game?
If there was I'd want to know how he blatantly couldn't see that? Or was he just not paying attention to the game?

I did not see the game, but I do not think for one second that the referee was corrupt.

Instead of blaming the referee, perhaps we should look at the defending for Cardiffs goals. They had nothing to do with the referee.

I did not see the game, but I do not think for one second that the referee was corrupt.

Instead of blaming the referee, perhaps we should look at the defending for Cardiffs goals. They had nothing to do with the referee.

No corruption just sheer incompetence from an official who should be rested this weekend coming.
I've been watching live football for 30 years and that was the most atrocious display I've ever witnessed by a referee.
Don't think I've seen one miss so many of the ball incidents in my life.

Back