• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-2 Brentford: Verdict Thread

It is, I agree. Nobody would have blinked 5 years ago though because you'd be looking at his head, the part of the body he scored from, it's only VAR which has conditioned you to look differently
Or maybe you’re right and these years of forensic analysis has jsut trained me to judge things this way and lost sense of reality.

Either way, Pandora’s box has been opened and isn’t going to be closed.

As I say, I don't think it's debatable in how we view the game now, 5 years ago I doubt it would have been given a second glance on MOTD, you'd be concentrating on the body position not a stray foot

As I say, I don't think it's debatable in how we view the game now, 5 years ago I doubt it would have been given a second glance on MOTD, you'd be concentrating on the body position not a stray foot

This is true. On that still, if you cover the lines up with your finger on the ankles, he looks on. Tbh on the first replay without the lines, I viewed it and thought it was on, and was even half way through a post about Collins playing him on and ruining what was an otherwise excellent performance

Just seen the goals back. We were rubbish but that first goal is abysmal and then it’s always an uphill task against this Brentford side. How has Norgaard managed to head a ball 6ft off the ground, 3 yards out, in the middle of the goal. Sa hasn’t even got a player near him. Surely this is his all day?

Yeah, watching back the first is even worse by Sa than I thought in real time. What is he actually doing?

Just seen the goals back. We were rubbish but that first goal is abysmal and then it’s always an uphill task against this Brentford side. How has Norgaard managed to head a ball 6ft off the ground, 3 yards out, in the middle of the goal. Sa hasn’t even got a player near him. Surely this is his all day?

Dawson worse for me. Sa isn't close enough to the near post to cut it out before it gets headed, hence diving into the middle of the area to cut out a cross that's already been headed towards. Dawson is touch tight the entire time but just doesn't bother making a challenge, literally stands there and let's his man have a free header.

Dawson worse for me. Sa isn't close enough to the near post to cut it out before it gets headed, hence diving into the middle of the area to cut out a cross that's already been headed towards. Dawson is touch tight the entire time but just doesn't bother making a challenge, literally stands there and let's his man have a free header.
From what I can see, it seems Sa calls for it and Dawson ducks out... and Dawson's reaction is "what the hell?"

Both culpable. Sa should be claiming that all day. Keepers set themselves towards the back post as it’s far easier to come forwards than backwards. His all day.

Dawson shouldn’t be losing his man, it’s a simple header.

One can only assume Sa has called and Dawson has let it go, otherwise I have no idea what Dawson is doing.

Both culpable. Sa should be claiming that all day. Keepers set themselves towards the back post as it’s far easier to come forwards than backwards. His all day.

Dawson shouldn’t be losing his man, it’s a simple header.

One can only assume Sa has called and Dawson has let it go, otherwise I have no idea what Dawson is doing.

I don't think Dawson loses him as such, he just doesn't challenge, it's well within his reach if he wants to. As you say, can only assume Sa calls but I'd expect a defender of Dawson's experience to read that situation better and take matters into his own hands, he's in front of Norgaard and it's an easy clearing header for him when he's got no sight of where his keeper is actually trying to to claim from. Have the argument later but deal with the ball first.

And the most effective rule change they could make would be if any part of the body (that can legally be used to score a goal) was onside there is no offside offence. There would be more goals, defenders wouldn't be rewarded for not defending properly and VAR would have less to worry about.

Gary O’Neil 🗣️

On what went wrong
“Quite a bit, actually. It started yesterday afternoon when Channy felt his calf, then losing Cunha early, so being without those two, as we’ve spoken about, makes it very difficult for us. Two unbelievable mistakes for the goals, really bad goals, and it allows Brentford to have their game then. We huffed and puffed, the lads tried, but when you give Brentford a lead and they have the back five and big centre halves, and with a couple of our key attackers missing, it’s a tough ask.
“Having said that, there’s a massive save just before half-time that their goalkeeper makes and then the offside is obviously unbelievably marginal. One that we have to take because we fell below what we’ve set so far, really disappointed with the performance, but also very clear on what needs to be done about it.”

On the game lacking intensity
“That’s playing Brentford, that’s the way it is. The ball’s out of play for ages, they take ages over everything, and try to cause problems from set plays. If you’d have said to me last night that we’d lose to Brentford here, I would have expected it to look exactly like that. That’s exactly what Brentford try and do, and we made a couple of mistakes that played into their hands and weren’t good enough to rectify.
“We started very slowly. Really sloppy with little things, missing people with the ball, poor first touches and created some impetus early for Brentford. Then two terrible mistakes for the goals, the first one from a set play. Giving them the lift we did made it a tough task for us.”

On Cunha going off injured
“He felt something in his hamstring. It doesn’t feel too bad now, so let’s see how he goes, hopefully nothing too serious because we’ve spoken about fortunately injuries haven’t gone against us this season too much, but as we saw today, he was a big loss. We’ll know a lot more by Monday, Tuesday. Hopefully Channy will be OK next week too.”

On putting Fraser on
“I felt we needed someone who would be able to recognise the spaces that we were trying to create on the back line, especially when we’d lost Cunha. People weren’t recognising it well enough and Nathan’s a number nine, so he’s next in line and he made some decent runs to be fair to him, got in a couple of good positions, and he was the option we decided to go with.”

On what he needs to see from his team
“We’ve done a really good job as a group. The group have done an unbelievable job maintaining a high level generally. Absolutely gutted we fell below it today and the players will be as well, so using the elation of last week and what we managed to produce compared to how we feel now to make sure we perform better than we did today. There were factors which contributed, but if we look at the performance as a whole, it was obviously nowhere near good enough.”

Having watched it back several times and frozen exactly when ball was kicked, Dawson was onside imo.

That Dawson goal stands and I reckon we go on to win the game. Instead we end up losing 0-2. Fine margins.

That Dawson goal stands and I reckon we go on to win the game. Instead we end up losing 0-2. Fine margins.

I don't know, I think we still concede that farce of a second goal at 1-1.

A quick nod to hands down the worst contestants ever in the stupid HT game that no-one will ever win. If you can't kick a ball 20 yards then maybe sit this one out!

The disallowed goal certainly was important but realistically we should have been out of the game by then, only awful finishing by them (and in fairness a couple of good saves by Sa, at least once fixing the mess that he'd caused with his rubber leg) meant they weren't out of sight at HT.

Very disappointed in GoN not acknowledging he had to put Fraser on because his insistence of playing out from the back wasn't working and we had no outlet to hold the ball up front meaning we couldn't go long as an alternative.

And it wasn't just Brentford slowing things down the pace of play we were horrifically slow first half.

I don't like this current trend of nothing being his fault. He needs to accept some blame for yesterday it wasn't just the players.

On the flipside it's good that he tried *something*. Rightly saw that Brentford would just defend and shithouse at 1-0 and so we didn't need three CHs, you can of course argue with the execution of it all and whether the right CH went off.

Under Lage we'd have kept it exactly the same and lost without even trying to give it a go.

On the flipside it's good that he tried *something*. Rightly saw that Brentford would just defend and shithouse at 1-0 and so we didn't need three CHs, you can of course argue with the execution of it all and whether the right CH went off.
Can't knock him for that and shows how his game management is improving.

And Fraser did hold the ball up and compete for headers well. Physically he is in good shape in the PL. I'd like to see more of him as it's game time he needs and mentally he needs not to find the opposing CB but find the space and make runs, a lot like Toney does. It surprised me how physically similar they are and Fraser is barely 18.

I thought Toti and Dawson were dreadful and had no problems with who was replaced. Kilman conversely had a decent game.

Disagree with the Doyle sub, it killed our momentum as Gomes was winning the ball high up the pitch and we were trying to find a way through and that was working.

When Doyle came on the ball went backwards, started deep and we resorted to going wide when that was what Brentford wanted us to do. Not his fault, just the job he was brought on to do.
Sorry, missed this. It was the right sub with the wrong execution imo he needed to be higher up the pitch, not coming deep in the Neves style role

On their first goal, I can only assume Dawson got or thought he'd got a shout, it's the only way I can explain the ducking. Still should have headed it even if that was the case

Back