• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

What are you currently listening to....

Hard-Fi - Stars of CCTV.

It's aged appallingly. Or maybe it's just that I have?!

I'd go for the former, I saw them live and the album already descended from listenable to shit in the period between buying the tickets and attending the gig.

I've not heard it for years but the dude's voice is just really annoying. I used to quite like this record for some odd reason.

Yeah he was awful live, possibly the worst I've ever seen for just how bad he actually was at singing without all the studio help.

He sounds awful WITH all the studio help.

It's weird how some albums age so badly whereas others don't - a few weeks ago, I listened to Definitely Maybe. Even more than 20 years after it was made, it's still a stunning album. Then you have this pap, and that album by The Enemy. Ugh.

I never had anytime for The Enemy, the frontman just looked far too much of a cunt.

How far back are we talking for Hard-fi? Think I was in 6th form when we went to see them so that's 8-9 years ago, doesn't seem that long! It's a fair period for music to stand the test though, I guess the succes rate of music lasting that sort of shelf life isn't that great, then again i'd still happily listen to Travis, my first gig probably 15 years ago or something.

Stars of CCTV was 2004 I think. It has dated a lot. So has Over The Counter Culture by The Ordinary Boys which I loved at the time. Hot Fuss still stands up though, great album.

I never had anytime for The Enemy, the frontman just looked far too much of a cunt.

How far back are we talking for Hard-fi? Think I was in 6th form when we went to see them so that's 8-9 years ago, doesn't seem that long! It's a fair period for music to stand the test though, I guess the succes rate of music lasting that sort of shelf life isn't that great, then again i'd still happily listen to Travis, my first gig probably 15 years ago or something.

Travis' first album still sounds good today IMO. Seen them a few times live (including headlining Glastonbury in 2000) and they were always a good watch.

Just googled that Hard-Fi album and it came out in 2005. I had to turn it off - it's shit.

Haven't listened to that for ages (to the point where I had to Google it...)

I don't mind Sam's Town, it isn't in the same league as Hot Fuss though. Then again I think Be Here Now holds up better now than it did when it was released, so what do I know.

Morning Glory has aged appallingly. I don't think I could listen to it ever again.

Be Here Now I could listen to and Definitely Maybe still sounds good.

I don't mind Sam's Town, it isn't in the same league as Hot Fuss though. Then again I think Be Here Now holds up better now than it did when it was released, so what do I know.

I always thought Be Here Now had some very decent songs on, it just suffered a bit from being too long and a bit over-produced.

Sam's Town is an absolute abomination of an album (with the exception of When You Were Young) and their live shows didn't have anywhere near as much energy when they were promoting it. I totally lost interest in The Killers after that.

I was so, so disappointed with Sam's Town. They've got worse since too.

Bloc Party are another one. Completely went to shit from the 2nd album onwards.

Morning Glory has aged appallingly. I don't think I could listen to it ever again.

Be Here Now I could listen to and Definitely Maybe still sounds good.

WTS (MG) isn't anywhere near as good as Definitely Maybe but I don't think it's aged that badly - still pretty good I thought.

I listened to Silent Alarm on the train this morning - great album. And I enjoyed their 2nd album but after that, I agree with you.

The Strokes are another one. Is This It? was and still is a fantastic record, Room on Fire is about as meh as you can get.

Stars of CCTV was 2004 I think. It has dated a lot. So has Over The Counter Culture by The Ordinary Boys which I loved at the time. Hot Fuss still stands up though, great album.

Never had any interest in The Killers. The Ordinary Boys had some good songs but I haven't heard any of them in years, wouldn't imagine i'd be as complimentary about them now.

Travis' first album still sounds good today IMO. Seen them a few times live (including headlining Glastonbury in 2000) and they were always a good watch.

Just googled that Hard-Fi album and it came out in 2005. I had to turn it off - it's shit.

I saw them again when I went to V Festival, by chance as much as anything they just came on in the tent we happened to be in after watching someone else, still really good live, one of my favourite acts of the weekend without even planning to see them.

I've got good memories of Bloc Party songs from Blast Off and Lightbar, always thought about going to see them live but was never that into them to follow it through, made some good songs though, I love This Modern Love.

Back