• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

What are you currently listening to....

I bought Mark Knopfler's new album Tracker yesterday. It's absolutely superb, I'm slightly in love with it. Nothing particularly different to his usual work (he's very much got a formula that works and he's happy with) but for some reason this album really appeals to me more than his others.

Going to be the Madness back catalogue to keep me awake today

Been enjoying these guys for a while now, very eclectic, laid back house/disco stuff, from Wolverhampton too!

No disrespect SLA but WTF is that ?, I've heard them mentioned on here before, but that is the first thing I've listened to.
Is that what they normally do , put backing chords to samples or is that just a one off ?
Are they a Paul Hardcastle tribute act ??

No disrespect SLA but WTF is that ?, I've heard them mentioned on here before, but that is the first thing I've listened to.
Is that what they normally do , put backing chords to samples or is that just a one off ?

It's not bad in fairness, remove the samples and it's a decent track.
Sampling is the in thing currently, it's literally everywhere. I think it enhances songs in certain genres

The Lemony one is probably better placed to explain PSB to you. But yeah, it's a mixture of "found" audio and their original music. This track is from the new album The Race for Space, and everything is themed around the US/Soviet space missions of the sixties. I think it's excellent.

As requested...

Their first EP (The War Room) was based around music written by the band, plus samples from Churchill/other WW2 related footage. They take the script from the speeches etc, & put it to music.
This was extended with their first album, working with the BFI using a load of old/archived film from public service broadcasts, mainly from informational reels etc (eg on the speed limit, climbing everest, the development of a spitfire).
Go is taken from their latest album The Race For Space. As SLA states the album has 2 covers, & the theme for the album goes from Kennedys speech, through Sputnik, Gagarin, the first woman in space, to the effective reduction to the US & Russian space policies.

As well as decent tune-age, it is an interesting look at history. For example, I had no idea who the forst woman in space was. Moreso, I was amazed to learn that at the time, they over-dubbed all her words on interviews with a male voice, and no footage/recording of her actual voice exists! Tells us something about the 60's...

UNKLE are class, the first album with DJ Shadow was superb. I saw them live a few years ago, wasn't great tbh, but on record they are up there with the best in the genre. Do you like Nightmares on Wax?
Ive been listening to this in work a lot lately:

Today is Blur's back catalogue - in chronological order. Currently up to The Great Escape.

Top, top band. Love them.

First of all - how in the bloody hell is this girl (the dancer) only twelve years old?!

Second - holy fuck is this an awesome song!

Today is Blur's back catalogue - in chronological order. Currently up to The Great Escape.

Top, top band. Love them.

They spawned Gorillaz so they must be alright.

The Last Goodbye. Billy Boyd. After watching The Hobbit :(

Back