• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Winter Transfer Thread (And Summer Free Transfers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had a stunning ability for buying players made of poppadums. And then you have to remember poor Murray who came through the academy with the same affliction. God I still feel sad about that now. He could and should have been at a top four club and England keeper for a decade.

We could do a whole thread about them.

Silvio, Mouyokolo, Boukari, Ofosu-Ayeh, Murray... And that's just off the top of my head. I'm sure Trivial Pursuit masters like Dan could rattle off a dozen or more.

Neil Masters and Tony Daley are near the top of that particular tree.

Mason breaks all the time too, not that I'm concerned about him missing games.

Bjorklund was an abominable decision. And then to not take Kallstrom??

DJ you fucking belmer.

We've done this with a Wilson, Collins, Reid and a host of others without success I wonder why we keep doing it.
Kev's gotta have something to do!

I guess the theory is that if you pay £250kish a pop each time you don't need too much of a success rate to get your money back. We got £750k for Evans which pays for him and a couple of others. Hause we'd get a lot more for which would cover him and a few extra.

The Academy is similar, we aren't really producing stars from it at the moment, but selling Price as we did for supposedly over £1m and Batth as we will in the Summer - assuming we go up for around £2m, covers the costs for a couple of years, be it with players who graduated a long time ago. There's nobody who's come through 5 years or so below them you could see us getting reasonable money for though, Ronan and Iorfa both fall halfway between both groups, purchased from other teams but at a younger age.

We bought Ronan? I thought he had come through the academy the whole way.

We got him from Rochdale I think when he was a kid.

We got him from Rochdale I think when he was a kid.

We did. Our academy is a work in progress but I'm not too impressed with it so far. I'm hoping it improves, but then we aren't at the top level yet so emulating the likes of Arsenal, Spurs, Utd and Soton are a few years away yet.

I'd echo TT's sentiments too in that we don't seem to have anything coming through either which is disappointing in both quality and recruitment.

We're not even on a par with Villa at the moment which is disappointing.

Bought Ronan at 15.

Bright and MGW are both products, Morgan all the way through and Bright we signed at 15 when he hadn't been in the country that long (I think). Both can be huge success stories for different reasons. Then we have Batth who is a member of our first team squad. It's not amazing but it's a decent enough record overall. We seem to get the 16-21 bit well as we give opportunities and have developed good players (Hause, Doherty, Iorfa etc).

Our academy is very highly rated by people I speak to who work in other academies. As Johnny said it's improving and hopefully the bigger we can get the more pull we will have and the better coaches we can afford from 8-16. We currently have roles available at u15+u16 I think.

Bought Ronan at 15.

Bright and MGW are both products, Morgan all the way through and Bright we signed at 15 when he hadn't been in the country that long (I think). Both can be huge success stories for different reasons. Then we have Batth who is a member of our first team squad. It's not amazing but it's a decent enough record overall. We seem to get the 16-21 bit well as we give opportunities and have developed good players (Hause, Doherty, Iorfa etc).

Our academy is very highly rated by people I speak to who work in other academies. As Johnny said it's improving and hopefully the bigger we can get the more pull we will have and the better coaches we can afford from 8-16. We currently have roles available at u15+u16 I think.

Maybe the recruitment is good but the coaching wasn't/ isn't?

Possibly! We have the facilities to go with it too. Jeff has made it pretty clear they see the academy as an important part of the club so I'm sure if they think it isn't performing as it should they will be pretty ruthless.

We got Jordan Graham for pittance and even if he doesn't play again for us I am sure we will make a decent profit in the same way we did for Evans.

It's always good to see the youngsters on the bench purchased it developed MGW a good example of that recently although I have a sneaky suspicion he won't be a sub for much longer.

Was also a huge benefit when we went down to league 1, I loved watching our youngsters develop even if we knew they wouldn't necessarily be good enough in the Championship.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Generally an academy is only as good as the kids recruited into it. Wolves weren't able to compete on a level playing field with the likes of Villa 8 years ago when today's graduates were recruited into academies. That being the case it makes sense to try and recruit into the older age groups when good youngsters become available. It is far to soon to judge the academy as those coming out of it at the moment were recruited when we could not compete for the best youngsters.

Possibly! We have the facilities to go with it too. Jeff has made it pretty clear they see the academy as an important part of the club so I'm sure if they think it isn't performing as it should they will be pretty ruthless.
All these talks of academies in england is just bullshit if I can say so..clubs buying "finished" players..calling them academy players..how many english players make it through the academy at a PL team? Its a load of bollocks if you ask me..they just loan them out for some seasons and in the end sell them on to a lower EFL club..academies is not working atm

Anyone think we should just stump up £10m or so for Ryan Sessegnon? A PL club will snap him up this summer at the latest IMO.

Anyone think we should just stump up £10m or so for Ryan Sessegnon? A PL club will snap him up this summer at the latest IMO.

I'd rather we spent money on making Vinagre's loan permanent.

That's utter madness when he's clearly not first choice, and we know Sessegnon would be.

Other that set pieces I would have Sessegnon over Barry any day of the week. Depends on the future for Vinagre potentially he is better than both but if there is no chance he signs permanently but a chance is there to sign someone of that quality I would take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back