• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Winter Transfer Thread (And Summer Free Transfers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree on Ruddy as good as he has been there are errors in his game and in the premier league we will be punished for them. More than happy to have him as back up but I would like to see what Norris can do given a run of games, every time I have seen him he has been brilliant.

I'd expect Norris to take over from Ruddy at some stage. I'd like to see Norris given a chance before we spend £20m on a keeper. Think he could be very good.

Ruddy has saved us a few points this season and aside from Forest away his rushes of blood haven't cost us too dearly in terms of goals conceded or points lost...

That said if promoted we would be punished if he made similar mistakes, but likewise maybe he would have better concentration under a more 'stressful' situation.

We should definitely be looking for an upgrade on Ruddy. I appreciate he's mainly been claiming crosses and relaxing on his deck chair this season, but there have been enough moments when he's been far from convincing. I'd certainly like to see Norris given a shot too. Maybe at the tail end of this season?

I think talk of upgrading on Ruddy is a bit premature. I'm never against trying to improve our team but Ruddy is central to a phenomenal defence. We should not underestimate the role he is playing.

He's been massive for us this season. You cannot overestimate the case for having that kind of presence in goal - we've lacked it for years. As much as we all wish Carl the very best in his fight, he routinely cost us points over the last three seasons and apparently it was beyond our wit to improve on him (I don't think Kuszczak was any better, Lonergan was obviously miles worse and Emi's career could go either way at this point).

Ruddy is rock solid, makes big saves when we need him to - he hasn't been called upon much this season, but think back to the opening day and the 4-5 clear chances he stopped, and that brilliant save early on at Ashton Gate - and is part of a defensive unit which are clearly all in tune with each other.

In any case Norris should be our first point of call *if* we want to make a change because he looks brilliant. He's got everything. I don't understand what he was doing in League Two 7-8 months ago.

He's been massive for us this season. You cannot overestimate the case for having that kind of presence in goal - we've lacked it for years. As much as we all wish Carl the very best in his fight, he routinely cost us points over the last three seasons and apparently it was beyond our wit to improve on him (I don't think Kuszczak was any better, Lonergan was obviously miles worse and Emi's career could go either way at this point).

Ruddy is rock solid, makes big saves when we need him to - he hasn't been called upon much this season, but think back to the opening day and the 4-5 clear chances he stopped, and that brilliant save early on at Ashton Gate - and is part of a defensive unit which are clearly all in tune with each other.

In any case Norris should be our first point of call *if* we want to make a change because he looks brilliant. He's got everything. I don't understand what he was doing in League Two 7-8 months ago.

I agree with all of this. Ruddy and Norris are the way to go for me and the pair of them are comfortably better than half the top flight keepers right now.

Plenty more positions to upgrade first and don't disagree with the sentiment that only 3 or 4 of our current starting XI may well be in next seasons starting XI.

If Jose Sa was to become available to us sure, that would be a clear upgrade and I could understand it, you want top quality if it's there for us.

But I agree we don't need to be placing GK as a priority. There will definitely be more pressing areas for us to strengthen in.

Having met John ruddy tonight - I’d imagine he’s a great influence In that dressing room - really calm authoritative influence.

Think its a bit harsh on Ruddy, he's made the odd mistake but thats the same for any player in any league, if people think we can find a keeper that never makes any mistakes, they are living in cloud cuckoo land

Think its a bit harsh on Ruddy, he's made the odd mistake but thats the same for any player in any league, if people think we can find a keeper that never makes any mistakes, they are living in cloud cuckoo land
I think most of us just suspect that the club have never planned to resign him in 2019. He probably knows this. Of course that could change if he has a storming first season back in the Prem.

A few links to Afobe popping up again following a spat with Howe. Problem is he has fallen out with his last 2 clubs you would have thought he had grown up by now but clearly not. Part of me thinks he would be good to get in just to seal the deal for promotion but im not convinced he would be good enough when we got there.

Loan with a view to a permanent would be ideal if we can firm up one of the others then leave it up to Benik to show he has something we don't already have.

Afobe has shown that he's not up to the Prem, other than small amounts or loans anyone we sign should be with next season in mind. I'd have him on loan as an extra option, but wouldn't pay £10m for him.

Not sure he's had much of a chance to show he's not up to the prem. He clearly looked to good for the championship when he was here.

He's been there two years and hasn't had a serious injury. Other the first month or so whenever he has had a chance he hasn't taken it. Howe will play any other of his other forwards ahead of him when he is fit, so at least in his opinion he's not up to it. SEB looked a cut above Championship level when he was here, but that didn't translate to being able to cut it in the Prem, I know their styles are different just using it as an example that the one doesn't necessarily translate into the other.

I'd be amazed if the links to Afobe had any substance, I just don't think we are interested. We don't really need him now and he's nowhere near good enough for where we aim to be next year.

Afobe link is pointless - don't need him & wouldn't fit in this team anyway

We are not going to pay that much for someone who is not a decent bet for the Premier next season (know a fair number of Bournemouth fans & none of them rate him that highly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back