• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Winter Transfer Thread (And Summer Free Transfers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re Ruddy, we need to have a number of home grown players in the squad in any case. Homegrown attacking players who are good enough for the prem are bound to be ridiculously priced, so you're likely to be stuck with a number of goalies and defenders. I've been massively impressed with Ruddy (Norris too for that sake) and think he would be alright at a higher level as well. Anyone can be upgraded but the goalies should be just about the last priority in my view.

Assuming promotion, home grown is 8 out of a squad of 25, so therefore something which we are unlikely to have to fudge by keeping players around for the sake of it. We aren't going to carry a true first team squad of 25 so can easily give the last 2/3 places to U23's if need be.

Personally don't think we will see another striker coming in (whether you think we need one or not), I'll hold my hand up and admit I'm not the most observant or expert on tactics/team selection but from my view, we don't play with an orthodox striker, rather a more fluid front 3, which seems to be Nuno's favoured format, I'm asumming Nuno thinks that Mir can do a similar job to Leo. As we are 12 points clear at the top, top scorers, conceded the least goals and playing the best football seen at Molineux in..........well ever (included the much vaunted early 70's team), I'm inclined to let Nuno just get on with it and do what he likes. Yes I know we've not been quite up to early seasons standards recently, but far from crap and of course Nuno has spotted this and decided to take the boys on a sunny, beach jolly.....and from yesterdays performance that seems to have done the trick. Hopefully we will bring in cover for Doherty as there is still a big chunk of the season to go. As a typical football fan who swings wildly from ridiculous optimism to abject pessimism, I'm feeling pretty comfortable about the rest of the season.

He's been there two years and hasn't had a serious injury. Other the first month or so whenever he has had a chance he hasn't taken it. Howe will play any other of his other forwards ahead of him when he is fit, so at least in his opinion he's not up to it. SEB looked a cut above Championship level when he was here, but that didn't translate to being able to cut it in the Prem, I know their styles are different just using it as an example that the one doesn't necessarily translate into the other.

I know I always bang on about goals and the myths around them, but 10 goals a season is actually a good return for a lower half prem team. If you look back over the last few years its rare to see a player outside the top 6 break about 14 league goals, and getting to that 10 goals mark would consistently have you in the top 20 scorers in the league virtually every year.

Afobe has got 6, and 4. Never threatened 10 goals in the top flight

Sorry I wasn't saying he was, I was more offering that what we may consider poor returns, are statistically better than we think in most cases. He has 10 goals in 63 appearances according to this, which is okay for a 4th choice striker at that level I'd offer, the bournemouth fans last time this was brought up all seemed to rate him.

https://www.premierleague.com/players/4040/Benik-Afobe/stats

Although they felt he was important for link up play, where as just looking at the raw stats there he doesn't seem to link up into either assists, or whatever big chances created are (?)

My view on Afobe is fairly simple. He would probably be good enough for the next 17 games. But we really don't need him for those 17 games. There is very little evidence to suggest he will be of massive use beyond those games. I would infinitely prefer us to spend a much larger outlay on a much better striker when we are safely in the premier league than waste budget on a player who will be difficult to move on after promotion.

Agreed, seen a few people mention Zahore on this thread, I'd rather we went for someone like home over Afobe as has the potential to still be useful to us beyond this season.

I’d be happy with Afobe on loan. Much as Mir *might* be the second coming I’d rather he wasn’t our only option if Bonatini got injured, nor is Jota, Cav and Costa going to be ideal in every game.

That said I’d be very happy if we bought Zohore...

I would be disappointed if we bought either Afobe or Zohore. Neither are good enough for the top flight so it is burning money. I would be very happy if we signed no striker at all this window.

Zohore will be fine the Prem. Don't judge him on a game where Colin has gone for tactics that take him out of the game.

Zohore looked great against us earlier in the season, best striker I've seen at wolves this season.

Another forward still doesn't strike me as a priority. Maybe, just maybe, a loan signing to cover us but I think we'll be going for a different calibre in the summer to what we can attract right now. However a RWB would be still on the agenda, and I can't get beyond Daniel Opare who we were linked with at the start of the month. Given his contract is up in the summer, and no Prem club came in for him in so far, I'd snap him up now. Incredible pace and can find a delivery.

Hasn’t zohore scored about 4 goals this season? What makes anyone think he’s the answer?

I will be happy if we sign a forward but content if we don't.

I won't be worried if we don't sign a RWB but I will raise an eyebrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back