• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

Fortunately championship loan window closes same time as transfer window so clubs can’t hardball us like they might have.

We aren't going to get hard balled by a fucking championship outfit. I mean, come on.

Costa definitely wasn't bad in our promotion campaign. He wasn't necessarily brilliant with any consistency even then but I wouldn't argue that any of our wingers were consistent that year.

We aren't going to get hard balled by a fucking championship outfit. I mean, come on.

Maybe not the right word.

Mr championship: I’m not paying £12m for him. I’ll give you £2m for the season and £10m at the end if he is good as you reckon.

Wolves: No, sale only.

Mr Championship: no deal then.

Sits on the bench at wolves, player is unhappy, on full pay, value decreases further.

Last season they could have not budged and just loaned him afterward the deadline. Can’t do that this year.

Big deal to us then. We can afford it. They try and we tell them to fuck off.

You have to understand that as a Premier League club with European football that sort of nonsense is just not going to wash.

I’m not sure what your point is. We can afford to throw away £50m but we’re not going to want to.

Whether you’re Man City or Macclesfield you don’t want to have a player sitting in your reserves losing value. And you won’t be able to sell said player if you are charging too much. They’re not going to suddenly start paying us more for players because we’re in Europe.

Fosun may consider Helder's role in our promotion a full return on the 13m we paid. Anything we get for him now is likely just gravy in their eyes.

We will need a few extra to cope with the Europa - Costa hasn't been great for a while, but can still play a part.

If we get a sensible offer to sell that he is prepared to accept then fine. A loan to a Championship side tells us nothing and gains very little £ wise.

Didn't Nuno say that our Europa side would be mostly U23ers? I may have dreamt that tbf.

Didn't Nuno say that our Europa side would be mostly U23ers? I may have dreamt that tbf.
Jeff said that if we are short of players the U23's will be used, not that the team will be full of them.

Some of them will get used, but we are not going to rely on them.

Another 'more experienced' player will be useful even if he's not been that good for a bit.

Sky Sports reporting that Sanson has been offered to us, Newcastle & West Ham - with West Ham the current favourites.

Doing some poking around, apparently Sanson had a pretty poor year for Marseille. So I wonder how interested we actually are.

Stats for the season certainly aren't as good as the year before.

He's not an out and out AM though. Not a goalscorer. He's an all-rounder cross between Neves and Moutinho.

Saw somewhere that Andre Gomes might be linked to us, I know Everton are trying to secure him permanently, talented player- Nuno gave him his breakthrough season at Valencia I think? He was playing some top football when there, not worked out at all at Barca though

Stats for the season certainly aren't as good as the year before.

Reading a bit more on Sanson, he scored 5 goals and got 4 assists in 37 appearances last season - but only 2 of those starts were in, what you would call, 'attacking' midfield. He was mainly used in a central/defensive area - so I guess as Bear states - he's a mixture of Neves/Moutinho. And if you're looking at stats alone, his numbers are very similar to Neves. The season before, when he scored 12 goals, he was more or less exclusively playing in an attacking midfield role and was also used as a wide forward. So I wouldn't be dismissing him on the numbers alone...

We definitely need some more competition in the midfield areas if we are going to continue playing three - especially with the extra games. Sanson has experience playing in the Europa League and at 24, is definitely the right sort of age for a player to come in and improve in both performances and value.

I've only seen a 10 min highlights vid but he looks good IMO. Playing style in the Portugese mould very much like Moutinho (or a lesser Bernado Silva) but a better dribbler and taller.

Last edited:
Back