• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

There was nothing wrong with Costa in 2017/18. He was our best attacking player by some distance from February onwards. And he wasn't as bad last season as people make out either, unless Portugal routinely call up dreadful players who have zero form whatsoever.

I won't defend him wholesale, he was appalling vs Shrewsbury for instance and his impact off the bench became so negligible that we simply stopped bothering in the end. But he wasn't the Iberian Rohan Ricketts that he's portrayed as.

He was class against Man Utd away as well, he can still do it but for some reason it just doesn't happen very often any more. Our formation change didn't exactly do him any favours.

Well, they do keep finding a way to play William Carvalho...

Maybe he's outstanding for Betis :D

Seriously I can't explain that one. But Costa's call up didn't come from nowhere and no-one on here was saying "no way he deserves a chance" at the time. Then he gave Andy Robertson a hellish game and scored.

He scored a dribbler from two yards after it was squared past the keeper, it’s not like he danced past five and stuck it in the top corner. And I definately don’t recall him giving Robertson a hellish time at all.

Plus, it was pretty much Portugal reserves, given they made 10 changes from the previous game.

Helder was amazing for us under lambert, but he’s been poor for two seasons now - bigging up a tap in for Portugal reserves against Scotland shows how desperate we are to show anything positive.

40 min: Bruma snaps a shot over on the run from 15 yards after good work from the hitherto invisible Wolves man, Helder Costa. Difficult chance.

Goal! Scotland 0-1 Portugal (Helder Costa 43)

It’s a goal for the Wolves winger on his senior debut! Rodrigues overlaps down the Portugal left, fizzes a low ball across that Gordon can’t reach – and Costa, sliding in, gets just enough on the ball ahead of Robertson to send it dribbling over the line and in!

69 min: Gedson immediately sends Helder Costa away, buzzing into the box off the right flank, and McKenna does just enough to squeeze the ball into the side netting rather than the rather more consequential bit of net. The corner comes to zilch.

That’s the three mentions of Helder in the guardian report.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...otland-v-portugal-international-friendly-live

He was NOT poor in 2017/18. I mean you can carry on thinking that if you like but it's not borne out by any of the reviews if you look back from February to May. Before that he wasn't really in the team.

I happen to think he's on the way out (partly because he needs a new start, partly because we aren't going to accommodate him any more) but he wasn't the jokeshop player you're making him out to be - go back and watch the games against either Manchester club in August/September if you like - and loaning him to Leeds so they can pay us a few hundred grand and some of his wages is a waste of everyone's time (except for Leeds, and honestly, I wouldn't lend them a virus).

That's bollocks. He was excellent in the second half of our promotion season and scored some key goals, linking up well with Cav.

I'd actually say he was better than Jota at the beginning of the season (when they were both struggling). Man Utd away was a standout performance.

He got into the same habit that a lot of forwards get into when they're on a poor run of form which was to try to do too much (and lose the ball) and lost all confidence in front of goal (Spurs away aside).

The biggest concern for me is that, unlike Jota, he doesn't seem to be able to cope with strong challenges since his injury. Otherwise there's no reason why he couldn't play in our changed formation. He's rapid, he's skilful, he can create and he can score.

Think his problem as the season was the complete opposite to what you describe, he lost confidence and far from trying to do too much he just did nothing. He seemed bereft of any confidence, belief or fight, rarely looked to take his man on or play any sort of incisive pass then the first firm tackle would see him off for the rest of the game.

He'd given up, maybe a good preseason and plenty of smoke up his arse could turn things around but I'd think a fresh start is more likely to help.

February

Sat 3rd - Sheff Utd (H) W 3-0 (Neves, Jota, Cavaleiro)
Sat 10th - QPR (H) W 2-1 (N'Diaye, Costa)
Sat 17th - Preston (A) D 1-1 (Costa)
Wed 21st - Norwich (H) D 2-2 (Lewis OG, N'Diaye)
Sat 24th - Fulham (A) L 0-2

March

Wed 7th - Leeds (A) W 3-0 (Saiss, Boly, Afobe)
Sat 10th - Aston Villa (A) L 1-4 (Jota)
Tue 13th - Reading (H) W 3-0 (Doherty 2, Afobe)
Sat 17th - Burton (H) W 3-1 (Costa, Afobe 2)
Fri 30th - Middlesbrough (A) W 2-1 (Costa, Cavaleiro)

However did we carry such a Tim Steele of a player. Miracle we went up really.

You’re right, 5 goals in 36 games in the best championship team in recent history is amazing. I can’t believe he’s not our first choice this season....

The problem is we know he is rapid and skilful, but he’s just didn’t use it. Came on against Burnley for example and didn’t try to beat Taylor once, despite Adama walking past him on repeat. Instead just passed it back to Bennett / Doc / Neves x 1000. Didn’t even try a give a go, just passes it back and then just stands there. If you’re not confident of beating him with the ball at your feet, why don’t you try and beat him with a run behind. We’ve got Neves and Moutinho FFS, they’ll pick you out.

You’re right, 5 goals in 36 games in the best championship team in recent history is amazing. I can’t believe he’s not our first choice this season....

Not the point, is it.

He wasn't poor in the Championship winning team and you're talking about him in the PL as if he's some kind of Eggert Jonsson style, how did he ever get a game, produced absolutely nothing positive imposter.

You carry on though, your mind's obviously made up. Let's loan him out because loans always go so well. And Championship clubs with no parachute money, who already spent big in 2018/19 and didn't go up, are going to pay so much for a player who isn't even theirs.

By the way if we do loan him out for a year, he then returns to us with one year left on his deal, in which case we'd get relative buttons for selling him anyway. In no way does this proposed move boost his value. So who is it helping? Except Leeds United. Got to say I don't cry myself to sleep worrying about who they're going to sign on their budget.

Under lambert he was grade A amazing (not because of lambert obvs). His injury absolutely killed him. He was poor in our championship winning season, but he got a pass because of the previous year and the hope that he’d get some form back with a full pre season, but this year he’s been desperate. He’s had about three decent games this year and has beaten a man very rarely, which along with his finishing was always his biggest strength. His finishing has also been extremely poor.

I’m not sure why you’re so desperate to big him up - he’s not going to get in our side this year, and no one will pay the money we’d want, so a loan is the only way he’ll get enough games to get some form back. No one will be more pleased than me if we can get that amazing Helder back.

I'm not bigging him up, I'm defending him against something that I think is deeply unfair :icon_lol:

And I hate shite loans like this one being proposed. We gain nothing from it. So no.

We gain a loan fee for a player we probably can’t sell and who won’t play for us, and the chance for a once superb player to get games and hopefully play himself into form.

The problem is we know he is rapid and skilful, but he’s just didn’t use it. Came on against Burnley for example and didn’t try to beat Taylor once, despite Adama walking past him on repeat. Instead just passed it back to Bennett / Doc / Neves x 1000. Didn’t even try a give a go, just passes it back and then just stands there. If you’re not confident of beating him with the ball at your feet, why don’t you try and beat him with a run behind. We’ve got Neves and Moutinho FFS, they’ll pick you out.

This is definitely a fair criticism btw.

I can't stand Adama but even I will concede that in the final third of the season, he was a better option off the bench than Helder. He might do *something*. Other than increase my blood pressure, obviously.

If anyone thinks Costa was poor in the second half of the promotion winning season then they either didn't watch us or appreciate what they were watching. He wasn't, he was better than Cav and in most people's view this time last year was the starter for the PL in the 343 we were playing.

He started the season ok, Jota's relative poor form didn't help as firstly it shone a light on what Costa was/wasn't doing and secondly got them boxed together as not being able to make the step up.

As the season went on he got progressively worse, my
view was that he needed a goal to rediscover his confidence, he got that at Wembley but it didn't do the trick. In 2019 he went to hiding in games and when he did get the ball just tried to buy free kicks by falling over. By the end of the season Nuno wasn't even using him.

A move away would be best for all parties, but for the reasons I stated earlier it shouldn't be a loan, take £7m or thereabouts and move on.

If he went on loan and was able to get in some sort of form then that's surely good for us - would mean we might have the amazingly exiciting player back, or we can sell him for more money. If he doesn't go on loan chance are he will stay and sit on the bench which is good for no one.

Back