• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2019 Transfer Thread

If anyone thinks Costa was poor in the second half of the promotion winning season then they either didn't watch us or appreciate what they were watching. He wasn't, he was better than Cav and in most people's view this time last year was the starter for the PL in the 343 we were playing.

He started the season ok, Jota's relative poor form didn't help as firstly it shone a light on what Costa was/wasn't doing and secondly got them boxed together as not being able to make the step up.

As the season went on he got progressively worse, my
view was that he needed a goal to rediscover his confidence, he got that at Wembley but it didn't do the trick. In 2019 he went to hiding in games and when he did get the ball just tried to buy free kicks by falling over. By the end of the season Nuno wasn't even using him.

A move away would be best for all parties, but for the reasons I stated earlier it shouldn't be a loan, take £7m or thereabouts and move on.

I think that is accurate, fair and sums up my thoughts too.

If anyone thinks Costa was poor in the second half of the promotion winning season then they either didn't watch us or appreciate what they were watching. He wasn't, he was better than Cav and in most people's view this time last year was the starter for the PL in the 343 we were playing.

He started the season ok, Jota's relative poor form didn't help as firstly it shone a light on what Costa was/wasn't doing and secondly got them boxed together as not being able to make the step up.

As the season went on he got progressively worse, my
view was that he needed a goal to rediscover his confidence, he got that at Wembley but it didn't do the trick. In 2019 he went to hiding in games and when he did get the ball just tried to buy free kicks by falling over. By the end of the season Nuno wasn't even using him.

A move away would be best for all parties, but for the reasons I stated earlier it shouldn't be a loan, take £7m or thereabouts and move on.

Agree. He got the goal at Wembley and then was poor against Palace at home (everyone was) and then we changed formation and that was his chances gone really. Whenever he did come on after that he regularly looked drained of any confidence. Prior to the formation change he has also set up goals against Newcastle and Bournemouth, he wasn’t playing brilliantly but he was being slightly more effective.

I think we will sell and although it makes sense to it would be a shame as we do know just how talented he is.

Is there a worse website than the Birmingham Mail one? I think they are suggesting we are still interested in Sanson but I lasted about 2.35 seconds before having to click off it. Awful

Is there a worse website than the Birmingham Mail one? I think they are suggesting we are still interested in Sanson but I lasted about 2.35 seconds before having to click off it. Awful

All the websites under their owner are a pile of ad filled shite. Daily Mirror website is the same

If he went on loan and was able to get in some sort of form then that's surely good for us - would mean we might have the amazingly exiciting player back, or we can sell him for more money. If he doesn't go on loan chance are he will stay and sit on the bench which is good for no one.

You've got to look at precedent here. Not even just at Wolves. How often does someone out of favour go on that kind of loan, make this kind of magical improvement (at a miles lower level) and then come back and be a success? It essentially doesn't happen.

And as I've said, loan him out for a year, he comes back here and has one year left on his deal. This is doing nothing for his value.

I'm more than open to selling him and I think it's silly to suggest that we'd get no bids.

You've got to look at precedent here. Not even just at Wolves. How often does someone out of favour go on that kind of loan, make this kind of magical improvement (at a miles lower level) and then come back and be a success? It essentially doesn't happen.

And as I've said, loan him out for a year, he comes back here and has one year left on his deal. This is doing nothing for his value.

I'm more than open to selling him and I think it's silly to suggest that we'd get no bids.
True, but I'm not sure we have much to lose. Sell him now and we might get 7m, but chances are less. Send him in loan and he plays well we might be able to sell him for 10m at Xmas.

I personally don't think he's lost nearly 50% of his value in the last two and a half years at a time when the market has been massively inflating.

I blame Mr Jag for throwing out the £7m figure and everyone else running with it.

Loan to buys seem to becoming a lot more common now, you've only got to look at how Wolves have used them for incoming players over the last couple of years, so shouldn't be a surprise if that's the only interest that you might get in a player who's form has declined in such a way. Why would a club take the risk on a multi-million pound deal when it could be possible to get them for 6-12 months with significantly less risk? I doubt Wolves would've taken the punt on Raul for the agreed price 12 months ago but the loan period gave opportunity to have a look at him and now they've got a bargain, would be an incredible double standard to flatly refuse such terms on outgoing deals when they've worked so well for incoming deals.

Obviously there's the chance that the initial loan doesn't go to plan, but as you've said yourself previously Costa declined to such a point by the end of last season that he wasn't even being used at all, if that level continues then is there any point in keeping him around the club? May as well roll the dice and get him out there, even if he has a terrible loan at least there's going to be a little financial benefit.

Loan to buys seem to becoming a lot more common now, you've only got to look at how Wolves have used them for incoming players over the last couple of years, so shouldn't be a surprise if that's the only interest that you might get in a player who's form has declined in such a way. Why would a club take the risk on a multi-million pound deal when it could be possible to get them for 6-12 months with significantly less risk? I doubt Wolves would've taken the punt on Raul for the agreed price 12 months ago but the loan period gave opportunity to have a look at him and now they've got a bargain, would be an incredible double standard to flatly refuse such terms on outgoing deals when they've worked so well for incoming deals.

Obviously there's the chance that the initial loan doesn't go to plan, but as you've said yourself previously Costa declined to such a point by the end of last season that he wasn't even being used at all, if that level continues then is there any point in keeping him around the club? May as well roll the dice and get him out there, even if he has a terrible loan at least there's going to be a little financial benefit.

I wouldn't so much have a problem with this. But it's not going to happen with Leeds. Basically we'd get next to nothing for the loan element and have to hope a) he does well and b) they get promoted. Not a fan of basing our sales policy on other teams doing well.

Maybe Fulham might be able to structure an acceptable deal on those terms as they could possibly afford it. Remember we had to pay Benfica €3m for the loan part of Raul's deal. We might get a tenth of that off Leeds. Maybe. People seem to be under the illusion that a Championship club with no parachute payments who almost certainly overspent last year are going to chuck us a couple of million to loan a player, absolutely no chance.

Perhaps the villa will take him,then they can brag about stealing our main sponsor,best defender and then our best winger

What type of club do you think would pay us £7m+ for him though Deutsch?

I don't know. Clubs do all manner of stuff that on the face of it doesn't make sense. Look at the money Bournemouth spent on Ibe and Solanke for instance. £30m+ and they both look crap. There's a big wide world outside the UK too. Russia, China, whatever. They routinely buy players of this kind of profile and they pay for them too.

But if even Wolves fans who on the whole are prepared to see him go are massively disputing the "poor for two years" narrative then it certainly won't be a thread that's being picked up across the footballing world.

What I do know is that saying "just loan him to the Championship" is lazy thinking, the kind of crap that Jez used to pull when he was running the show. It gets you nowhere. I'd rather keep him if that's genuinely the only option (and I very much doubt it is).

I personally don't think he's lost nearly 50% of his value in the last two and a half years at a time when the market has been massively inflating.

I blame Mr Jag for throwing out the £7m figure and everyone else running with it.
This. People are undervaluing him.

His price hasn't gone down after he's come over from Portugal and had a successful Championship campaign and played and scored in the Prem, even if he is out of favour (we just say that's down to the formation change).

Dan James has just gone for £15m based on potential alone. I'd want the same for Costa.

I'm sure Costa is up for sale and Mendes is soliciting offers, if he doesn't go for a decent fee this summer then we perhaps we have to realise that we are perhaps over-hyping him based on one very good half season and one pretty decent half season.

Happy to be proved wrong when he goes for £15m in a few weeks. Won't hold my breath though tbqhwy

As you say, we will see. If no-one meets our valuation, he stays. And I would be pretty comfortable with that. We aren't going to be losing £6m plus on him though. That's nonsensical.

Happy to be proved wrong when he goes for £15m in a few weeks. Won't hold my breath though tbqhwy

Yeah this - I very much hope we get our money back, but I’d be hugely surprised.

Fingers crossed though, that it’s my view that’s wrong, and not the wolves coloured specs overvaluing....

As you say, we will see. If no-one meets our valuation, he stays. And I would be pretty comfortable with that. We aren't going to be losing £6m plus on him though. That's nonsensical.
As much as I like(d) him there's literally no point in him saying. As DW pointed out above Nuno just didn't trust him to play back end of last season - and he gave him plenty of chances beforehand too.
He looked terrified of having the ball, his only option was a borderline dive or pass backwards. That's not going to change with a preseason.

Back