• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Relegation 24/25 Thread

It's not wise after the event though is it.

Matt Doherty couldn't play at right back in League One in 2013, when we were the best team in the division.
Yes it is. We all know your opinion but the one that matters is the guy who sees him in training and in the games he has played. I note you blame him for two Chelsea goals but c'mon, the whole team was set up badly that second half. And Doc hadn't been as bad as you say in our other games.

So, yes, I totally agree with you that he shouldn't be near our first team. I was happy we milked Spurs for the money we did. I was just about OK with him coming back as a squad player with experience until yesterday but it is what it is and we have to deal with it. And, yes, it is time to give Lima a go but let's handle it carefully.

Well by that token none of us should ever put up a suggested team on a build-up thread. We haven't seen training so how can we know? Just trust the manager as he does and he knows more than we do.

Which is why it was fine for Hoddle to put Leon Clarke and Carl Cort as wide forwards, for Saunders to play a 10% fit Bakary Sako because he's got all summer to get over it, for Lambert to play Dave Edwards for 90 minutes of every game ever and for Lage to put Ruben Neves at centre half.

Except clearly that would be ludicrous, wouldn't it. Managers do ridiculous things.

In this case, picking Matt Doherty is ridiculous because how obvious is it that he's shit. I didn't need yesterday's goal to confirm it but it did cost us a point (at least), which is lovely.

Well by that token none of us should ever put up a suggested team on a build-up thread. We haven't seen training so how can we know? Just trust the manager as he does and he knows more than we do.

Which is why it was fine for Hoddle to put Leon Clarke and Carl Cort as wide forwards, for Saunders to play a 10% fit Bakary Sako because he's got all summer to get over it, for Lambert to play Edwards for 90 minutes of every game ever and for Lage to put Neves at centre half.

Except clearly that would be ludicrous, wouldn't it. Managers do ridiculous things.

In this case, picking Matt Doherty is ridiculous because how obvious is it that he's shit.
It's an internet forum... do what you like. :) You missed Rankine at right back. ;)

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Nothing competitive for years then Walter?
Spent more on one game for a "friendly" than you did for your season ticket... more fool me. :)
And if you know how fucking much it cost me to go to Chelsea and Palace last season, you'd shit yourself laughing. ;)

Well neither of you watched him (Lima) vs Burnley in the League Cup last month, so fuck you both!
I discount everyone's opinion on here on Morgan Gibbs-White because I was one of around 300 fans to watch him play vs Sunderland in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy in December 2016 and none of you lot were.

Strangely though Lee Carsley didn't phone me to ask for my take when he picked his squad last month.

Back on relegation.

Seems to me like there's five teams weaker than the rest: the promoted three, Everton, us. We're praying on there being three worse teams and the margin of error is very tight now. Last time we faced a relegation battle there was about eight teams in contention, we had a better manager than all of them and a better squad than most. Now... debatable whether our manager is better than any of them. We have some individual players who are much better than anything Everton and the promoted three can offer but there is some significant drop-offs and poor depth, doubt any of them have as bad a player as Doherty who they actually play.

All of our relagation rivals will have played eachother at least once and have softer fixtures than us between now and our 'winnable' early November games. We are going to be playing catchup very soon, our GD is poor too. We are being managed by someone who has one win in fourteen games. No win in the next four looks more likely than not. One win in half a season means you cannot be a in a Premier League job.

Well, if we're playing that game, I doubt any of you were there when Mick Gooding scored the winner for Peterborough in March 1988 against us and then we signed him weeks later. Probably only 8000 at that game I reckon. ;)

We have some individual players who are much better than anything Everton and the promoted three can offer but there is some significant drop-offs and poor depth, doubt any of them have as bad a player as Doherty who they actually play.
Ashley Young is nearly as bad as Doherty in fairness.

As for fixtures, it's Leicester vs Everton and Southampton vs Ipswich while we're at Villa on Saturday. So someone is getting points that we probably won't.

Back on relegation.

Seems to me like there's five teams weaker than the rest: the promoted three, Everton, us. We're praying on there being three worse teams and the margin of error is very tight now. Last time we faced a relegation battle there was about eight teams in contention, we had a better manager than all of them and a better squad than most. Now... debatable whether our manager is better than any of them. We have some individual players who are much better than anything Everton and the promoted three can offer but there is some significant drop-offs and poor depth, doubt any of them have as bad a player as Doherty who they actually play.

All of our relagation rivals will have played eachother at least once and have softer fixtures than us between now and our 'winnable' early November games. We are going to be playing catchup very soon, our GD is poor too. We are being managed by someone who has one win in fourteen games. No win in the next four looks more likely than not. One win in half a season means you cannot be a in a Premier League job.
We are weak defensively but decent in midfield and attack providing we keep Hwang out of the team. Everton are dire, I don't see Ipswich doing much and Leicester / Southampton are going to struggle. I wouldn't be too surprised to see West Ham, Palace, Bournemouth and Brentford have a wobble.

Well, if we're playing that game, I doubt any of you were there when Mick Gooding scored the winner for Peterborough in March 1988 against us and then we signed him weeks later. Probably only 8000 at that game I reckon. ;)
I was, do I win a prize? We didn't sign him until the next season either.

Back