• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

RACE OVER: Wolves finished 7th

The Europa League affecting your league form is a very irritating myth that is constantly peddled by the pundits. Burnley only played 3 ties and were out by the end of August. To point to their form in 2019 and explain it by saying that they needed 4 months of recovery from 3 away European games (one of which was in Aberdeen) makes no sense. They aren't very good, overperformed last year with a comparatively weaker race for 7th, and didn't bring in anyone good over the summer.

Same goes for Everton last season. Their recruitment was a disaster and Koeman had lost the plot. The terrible Europa form was a symptom of their problems, not a cause.

fact is everybody outside the top 6 is much of a muchness and could finish anywhere next season. there are a few teams that shouldn't need to be scared of relegation Wolves included.
If we get EL we should be glad I know it's early but then we don't need to play so many friendlies

Wouldn't we also join the League Cup in Round 3?

If you get knocked out before the end of August then it has bugger all effect on anything.

Burnley have been shit for most of the season because they're not very good.

Good enough to beat us at a canter...

Missing out on a proper and full pre-season of training and games, surely has some effect?

Playing on a Thursday before a Sunday surely puts you at a disadvantage compared to teams who don't have to play on a Thursday

That's before you factor in travelling time

Cyber, perhaps the anomalies were burnley and company finishing 7th rather than their performance in the league the following year?

Past performance is no indicator of future behaviour.
Ok , Burnley overperformed. Explain their 16 points from the last 10 games- thats 7th form. Their season started with Aberdeen 1-1(A), 3-1(h), Istanbul (a) 0-0, Southampton (a) 0-0, Watford (h) 1-3, Olympiakos (a) 1-3, fulham (a) 2-4, Olympiakos (H) 1-1 Man Utd(H) 0-2, Wolves (A) 0-1. The team that finished seventh is beaten by two newly promoted clubs in their first 5 league games. Travelling to scotland Greece and Turkey as well as Aberdeen and London may not have been a factor. I am not convinced it did not contribute to that shit start.

Burnley had a bastard of journey for their first game in Europe. All the way to Aberdeen, no wonder they were fucked and their league form at the start of the season was shit
1 point from the first 5 games.

Wouldn't we also join the League Cup in Round 3?

to draw 0-0 and lose on penalties then? :icon_cry:

I am just a little cautious that if we do get there we need to be prepared for the challenges the EL brings.

Playing on a Thursday before a Sunday surely puts you at a disadvantage compared to teams who don't have to play on a Thursday

That's before you factor in travelling time

Stoke and Swansea finished in about the same position in their Europa League season as they did the year before.

Birmingham made the playoffs in the Championship when they were in it, as did Wigan. Surely that's even more arduous?

None of it stacks up.

Missing out on a proper and full pre-season of training and games, surely has some effect?

Games start around a month into pre-season. So they shouldn't change anything really. Unless we get drawn against some ridiculous team, they would just become competitive pre-season games and the only difference will be we can't make 11 subs in them.

Are there any good articles on Europa League effects on teams and how they did that/next season? I'm one who would say it hampered teams such as Swansea and Spurs having watched a lot of their games around that time. Also feel a bit... weary of going into it without quite a few signings to our thin squad. Seen it dismissed as a myth on here a few times and just wondered

Are there any good articles on Europa League effects on teams and how they did that/next season? I'm one who would say it hampered teams such as Swansea and Spurs having watched a lot of their games around that time. Also feel a bit... weary of going into it without quite a few signings to our thin squad. Seen it dismissed as a myth on here a few times and just wondered

I'd put it all together but there's no point. People aren't interested in things like facts and evidence any more. It's just gut feel. I'd have more luck shouting at the grass not to grow.

We argue that the absence of prior rigorous analysis including appropriate comparison data has led to the proliferation of a widespread confirmatory bias, defined as the tendency to seek out evidence that backs one’s hunches and to ignore evidence that contradicts them.

Ladies and gentlemen, 2019.

The interesting correlation is the sky six. The sky six europa league has little effect on their league position according to the figures, when they qualify the EL rather than the CL.

Spurs 4 better 2 worse 2 same position
Chelsea 1 better
Liverpool 1 better 1 worse
Man City 1 Better
Man Utd 1 worse
Arsenal 1 worse

Then it gets a bit more interesting
Everton 1 Better 3 worse 1 same
Newcastle 1 better 1 worse
Middlesbrough 1 better 1 worse
Aston Villa 1 worse 1 same
Blackburn 2 worse

Then the following all were worse the season following their only qualification, Leeds, Bolton and Swansea.

Of those non sky 6 only Everton have not been relegated since 2002! All the other 7 have.

Now there are many other factors to consider I am sure. You can see why the EL can be seen as negative in spite of the facts, especially if youre not in the big 6.

You can see why the EL can be seen as negative

Fuck negativity on the EL. Christ, some of the shit I have witnessed in 30+ years of watching Wolves, if I get the chance to watch just 1 game of my team playing in a European Competition I will be fookin ecstatic. Won't give a crap about (apparently) not being ready or the squad is too small or it gets in the way of pre-season or what others have done, I will be watching Wolves in Europe. I don't care if we play Barry Town United or a team made up of postmen from Luxembourg, it will be Wolves in Europe. WOLVES IN EUROPE.

(not that I think we will qualify anyway but, you know fuck the negativity and embrace it)

Fuck negativity on the EL. Christ, some of the shit I have witnessed in 30+ years of watching Wolves, if I get the chance to watch just 1 game of my team playing in a European Competition I will be fookin ecstatic. Won't give a crap about (apparently) not being ready or the squad is too small or it gets in the way of pre-season or what others have done, I will be watching Wolves in Europe. I don't care if we play Barry Town United or a team made up of postmen from Luxembourg, it will be Wolves in Europe. WOLVES IN EUROPE.

(not that I think we will qualify anyway but, you know fuck the negativity and embrace it)
This [emoji3595][emoji3595][emoji3595][emoji3595]

Back