• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

RACE OVER: Wolves finished 7th

If Arsenal play like that at Molineux they'll lose.

No sympathy for Deeney, he knew what he was doing. Such an insecure bellend.

So fook all changes after the weekend of football.

Watford deserved more than they got this evening but fuck them, 7th place is still essentially ours to throw away at the moment.

Lolz
Great effort by Watford but not enough. It is really up to us now.

Must wins
Brighton Fulham
Not lose
Arsenal Watford
Bonus
Liverpool.

I guess we can believe again

What are the chances of us not beating Brighton or Fulham but turning over Arsenal & Watford

Still don't want to make 7th. In the long term we'll benefit from not doing so.

I want to say three things: First, I truly think that Wolves are not ready to play in Europe next season. I am a firm believer in the concept of readiness. And I think Wolves need another season in the top flight to consolidate their position as a top Premier League team before venturing into the exhausting schedule of Europa League play. Second, Deeney deserves the straight red for what he did. I was watching the semi-final back on tape and just before the invidious penalty, he took Dendoncker out in the corner in what I thought should have been a yellow card. But he didn't leave it there. I slowed the tape down and read his lips. He started insulting Dendoncker's mother, for which an Italian player was recently banned for three games (albeit for insulting a referee). Third, just after this, the penalty incident occurred. My reaction live was that it was not a penalty because Dendocker pulled out of the challenge and did not touch Deeney with his right foot. I slowed the tape down and my suspicion was confirmed. Moreover, I was able to see that Deeney pulled off a common trick, he dangled a leg into Dendoncker and leaned towards him so that it appeared that Donck had brought him down. I don't understand why VAR did not spot this, except for the fact that Graham Scott is never going to disagree with FIFA referee Michael Oliver, he's too junior in the referees' ranks. Moreover, and this shows how my perspective as a referee and assessor is somewhat dated given the literalist ruling that most referees engage in these days, Deeney was moving away from goal, not towards it, and that would, years ago, have dictated no penalty. Only Martin Atkinson referees with this kind of savvy today. The others follow the letter of the law with little feel for the flow of the game, so, thanks to Mike Riley, even a minor coming together in the area constitutes a penalty. The PGMO needs to have VAR officials who are trained to interpret TV replays, it needs more than just being a qualified referee, and the PGMO need to change its leadership so that referees ensure that no team gets an undue advantage and no referee determines the outcome of a game. To give a penalty in the last minute of an important game, the referee has to absolutely convinced that there is not a shred of doubt about awarding it. As far as I am concerned, having re-watched the tape two times and slowed the action down, Michael Oliver's decision (and Graham Scott's supine acquiescence) determined the outcome of the semi-final and that is wrong.

Old ground, but it was a penalty. You can't ref the game by what you think the laws should be.

Last edited:
Still don't want to make 7th. In the long term we'll benefit from not doing so.

Its a double edged sword. It gives us some bargaining power to bring more players in and get a greater squad depth. It will also probably mean a poorer season in the league next season as recent history shows that europa qualification and participation doesnt always bring positive results ( more so if youre not part of the big 6). I have said its imaterial as Watford will win the cup now so 7th gets nada.

Watford won’t beat City, or at least that would be the case 99 times out of 100. All we can do is put ourselves in position to profit. Should City get the expected victory.

You don’t get to choose when you get into Europe. I don’t buy this too early stuff at all. Squad wise we are a different animal to Burnley already and we will obviously strengthen in the summer. With Europe we get a market of much better players available

I cant find it now but I read that the EPL teams make a decent amount in the Europa now due to the restructuring on of the rights money to be based on market share. Arsenal apparently only made about 4 million less than Utd for the group stages for example.

My reasons for not wanting Europe aren't really based around it being too early, more around practicalities. Nuno wants a squad of around 18 outfield players, Europe would mean probably having to bloat that out a bit and the likes of Cav, Costa and Traore who I want us to move away from will in all likelihood still be around. We have 4 players who will still be with the Portuguese squad in the second week of June and another who will be at the ACON, so for a game in July we will either not be at full strength or have players with very little break. Finally on a purely selfish level Sunday afternoon kick offs are a pain in the arse for me to make as are Thursday nights

My reasons for not wanting Europe aren't really based around it being too early, more around practicalities. Nuno wants a squad of around 18 outfield players, Europe would mean probably having to bloat that out a bit and the likes of Cav, Costa and Traore who I want us to move away from will in all likelihood still be around. We have 4 players who will still be with the Portuguese squad in the second week of June and another who will be at the ACON, so for a game in July we will either not be at full strength or have players with very little break. Finally on a purely selfish level Sunday afternoon kick offs are a pain in the arse for me to make as are Thursday nights

Seconded. Agree in particular with the Sunday afternoon ko's.

Well as the clubs stated ambition is European football, I think you are going to end up having to get used to it. Plus, no Euro football this season and you can’t count the Saturday 3pm home games on one hand already.

Plus, no Euro football this season and you can’t count the Saturday 3pm home games on one hand already.

Indeed. As I missed the Cardiff game, this Saturday will be my first 3pm home game since we beat Bournemouth back in December

Granted it is a bit of a slog, and no doubt it would tax the squad a bit as it stands, but does anyone think we wouldn't be able to compete in the EL?

Without starting the whole top 6 vs bottom 6 thing over again, here's our aggregate results against PL teams competing in Europe this season

Man City - 1-3
Liverpool - 0-2 (pending 2nd leg - not counting the cup game)
Spurs - 5-4
Arsenal - 1-1 (pending 2nd leg)
Man Utd - 3-2 (not counting the cup game)
Chelsea - 3-2

Now granted there are always very good teams that end up falling through the CL groups into the EL but short of bleedin' PSG or the like is there anyone out there who we should really be afraid of, based on this season? I'm not so sure there is.

Euro football is a different animal to the PL, obviously, but we have a squad filled with players who have already experienced it.

Last edited:
"Europa League affects your league form" is a massive myth.

"Europa League affects your league form" is a massive myth.

Burnley- Finished 7th Last season , no where near this year. Europa league qualifier
2017 Everton finished 7th Europa league qualifiers, awful start to the season , sacked Koeman and Unsworth finally finished 8th under big Sam , but every fan hated it.
2016- West Ham 7th Southampton 6th, West Ham struggled to 11th under Bilic, Southampton finished 8th.

So , in the last 3 seasons the team qualifying in the lower positions of the league have failed to achieve the same or higher position the following year. So to dismiss it as " myth" is premature. Yes there may well be other factors but there is a single common denomenator of the europa league qualification , which is the route we will have to go should we qualify.

If you get knocked out before the end of August then it has bugger all effect on anything.

Burnley have been shit for most of the season because they're not very good.

I think that is my one fear about 7th place qualification. It can be a pain all that travelling in July and August just as the season starts. It doesnt appear to do recent qualifiers any good. For it not to effect us we need a larger sqaud with more depth of quality. Still, we will see.

Cyber, perhaps the anomalies were burnley and company finishing 7th rather than their performance in the league the following year?

Past performance is no indicator of future behaviour.

I think that is my one fear about 7th place qualification. It can be a pain all that travelling in July and August just as the season starts. It doesnt appear to do recent qualifiers any good. For it not to effect us we need a larger sqaud with more depth of quality. Still, we will see.

Burnley had a bastard of journey for their first game in Europe. All the way to Aberdeen, no wonder they were fucked and their league form at the start of the season was shit

Back