• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Hull City 2 - 3 Wolves: Something about getting too excited...

We were beaten fair and square, no complaints, but it could as easily have been a 3-0 win as a 3-0 loss.

Hang on...

Did I watch the same game as everybody else?

Wolves didn't look the slightest bit special. Our defensive frailties gifted them goals but otherwise there was little in the game.

Their squad is bigger and better equipped but we weren't far off them tonight. We just look worse when Campbell goes off - Diomande isn't a striker. If we had a couple of extra players, we would have drawn that game. Bowen is looking a weakness defensively but he wasn't terrible by no means.

I couldn't believe the amount of times their players went down clutching their head regardless of injury. There were a few times their players went down and they checked where the ball was before deciding if they would stay down or get up. In truth, they managed the game brilliantly - even if it is anti-football.

Taken off the Hull forum, I assume?

Got a better kit than us this year, I'll give them that.

Not surprisingly, Timbo has become much more bearable now we're good. Or maybe I just like him better when Judah is next to him.

Just home and really happy that my first competitive game of the season went the same way as the two I missed and I wasn't a jinx!
Fantastic strike by Neves, lovely work for the 2nd by Bright and the way Dicko drew the ball back onto his "weaker" left foot to make the keeper step right and then the finish between his legs was wonderful to watch. On to Colin's lot on Saturday

Great round up on Talkshite this morning with Brazil and Quinn.
Basically Cardiff are great so is Neil Warnock so is Mick and Ipswich.
Bruce needs time at Villa.
Oh Wolves have made good start but still not sure, basically I'll praise and look after my mates.
Seriously try to listen to some coverage when up early is impossible.

Mf favourites from the Hull Forums,

"Was it 15 million that neves cost? People said it was expensive for a championship side, but if clucas is worth 10, they got an absolute bargain"

"This is an advert for European loans from big clubs. ****s sake. Buy British my arse. Buy people that can score wonder goals and dance around defenders. On a Tuesday night in Hull. They managed it"

Fact is more opposing fans are saying how good we are, normally that doesn't happen but its true. Last night was easily our biggest test so far they pressed hard particularly in the early parts of the 2nd half but we dealt with it. Onwards and 1 spot upwards!

I'd rather shit in my hands and clap :)

Having seen it back again, I'd say Ruddy could have probably done a bit better with Grosicki's deflected cross too. Hard to criticise him too much though as he has been brilliant.
Think Douglas is the more obvious to blame personally, needs to try and head the ball away from danger rather than just nut it into the ground.

There was a bit of stuttery defending on crosses to be fair. Ruddy got done by the deflection on their equaliser. The penalty was soft , but better to concede a soft penalty in the 10th minute of injury time when your 3-1 up away than 1-1 at home. That will even itself up. The thing I am liking is that we are winning and still not the finished article. It wont take long for clogger teams to target Neves and Jota and I hope , for footballs sake, they get the protection from refs they deserve. It is really early days but you can only beat what is in front of you and we have beaten three tidy sides. I would put good money all three will finish top half and two will be in the promotion mix come May so it really cant be understated how well we have done so far. Cardiff at home and I will be very happy if they come to stifle as I think we are more than capable of unlocking it at this level. Happy for a 1-0 win.Amazing that we still may have more new signings coming to join us. After this start we are an easier "sell" to quality players

Basically Cardiff are great so is Neil Warnock so is Mick and Ipswich.
Bruce needs time at Villa.
Oh Wolves have made good start but still not sure, basically I'll praise and look after my mates.

Not surprising with TalkSport. No disrespect to Cardiff or Ipswich, but the teams they've beaten aren't of the same calibre as the ones we have. Although Cardiff will still be a tough game - no doubt about it.

Apparently Cardiff are very attack minded this season so I read.
Only 39% possession for them last night but 19 attempts.

Firstly thanks to Quirkafleeg for the travel contact (Sue is great)

We looked like a team that would more than hold its own in the Premier. Ruddy pulled off at least a couple of great saves and looks a masssive improvement on last season. Saiss, Boly, Neves, Jota, Miranda, Bright, Douglas, Doc, Coady, Dicko, Bonatini and Bennett were outstanding.

Got nervous when Neves went down but as I said to the bloke next to me "you get the impression they (Fosun) will do whatever's necessary to get us up this season now".

I thought the ref was poor, gave some very strange decisions. Why did he yellow card Cav?

Sorry if this has already been said, trip on one of their players but he played advantage

Everyone always goes on about a "backbone" of a good side. Well we have Ruddy-Boly-Neves-Jota - perhaps with one new striker signing to come in, and a returning Helder Costa. For this level, that's mad.

There was no doubt in my mind that these lads would be able to hack it "on a cold Tuesday night". Well yeah, the games will continue to come thick & fast, and the weather will get colder as the season moves on, but it was plain for all to see v Boro, that the lads we've recruited aren't just very naturally gifted footballers, but they'll fight & scrap too.

We've beaten three very good teams at the start of this season, but let's not forget we went 6 x games unbeaten at the start of last season and we all know how that ended up. On that front, I think we need to keep a lid on the expectation - but it certainly feels like we've got a better plan this time around, with more quality in the key areas.

Previous Wolves teams would have buckled when the going got tough last night. At 2-1 up, Hull had a great chance (which Ruddy saved brilliantly) and they hit the post. Throughout all that the message from the sidelines and Nuno was keep calm, keep to the gameplan and keep passing the ball - it's bloody refreshing and best of all, the players are buying in to it and capable of doing it.

Nuno said in his post-match interview that "tomorrow is the most important day". I really like that. One game at a time. Each one as important as the last. Cardiff are up there with us on merit. It sounds like they've played some good stuff going forward - fair play to them. I just get the feeling nothing will phase Nuno and "the boys".

Back