• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Hull City 2 - 3 Wolves: Something about getting too excited...

Apparently Cardiff are very attack minded this season so I read.
Only 39% possession for them last night but 19 attempts.

Yes I hope they do come with a mind to attack and let us have possession. It will make for a better game. It will also play into our new style well too. They let Sheffield have 13 attempts at goal. They should not be letting us have that number. We will score 2 or 3 if we have 13 attempts with our current players. Still its been a while since we had a 6-4 so who knows? They havent leaked a goal yet so it would be good to break that duck for them! Get the feeling this might be a draw, 2-2

Yes it was a Tuesday night in Hull, but was it really that cold? It wasn't even raining FFS....

Yes I hope they do come with a mind to attack and let us have possession. It will make for a better game. It will also play into our new style well too. They let Sheffield have 13 attempts at goal. They should not be letting us have that number. We will score 2 or 3 if we have 13 attempts with our current players. Still its been a while since we had a 6-4 so who knows? They havent leaked a goal yet so it would be good to break that duck for them! Get the feeling this might be a draw, 2-2

Agreed, 4 on target with three goals yesterday and three on target with two goals on Saturday. If they sit back hoping to counter us I think we'll just patiently probe for weaknesses.

A genuinely good tweet from Tim II:

qV1aFPr.png

Think his Fosun reservations may have vanished...

Mf favourites from the Hull Forums,

"Was it 15 million that neves cost? People said it was expensive for a championship side, but if clucas is worth 10, they got an absolute bargain"

"This is an advert for European loans from big clubs. ****s sake. Buy British my arse. Buy people that can score wonder goals and dance around defenders. On a Tuesday night in Hull. They managed it"

Fact is more opposing fans are saying how good we are, normally that doesn't happen but its true. Last night was easily our biggest test so far they pressed hard particularly in the early parts of the 2nd half but we dealt with it. Onwards and 1 spot upwards!

Fair play to whoever posted that on the Hull forum, pretty spot on. It's so true though, there's absolutely no value for money in British transfers, there hasn't been for years. Europe is the way to go and it's very exciting that we are at the forefront of this shift in style and recruitment.

Fair play to whoever posted that on the Hull forum, pretty spot on. It's so true though, there's absolutely no value for money in British transfers, there hasn't been for years. Europe is the way to go and it's very exciting that we are at the forefront of this shift in style and recruitment.

I don't think any other club comes even vaguely close to the level of access we do to these players, thanks to Jorge.

Even Boro with all their money couldn't have signed Jota and Neves in my opinion.

Yes it was a Tuesday night in Hull, but was it really that cold? It wasn't even raining FFS....

According to your Twitter it was...

William Machin‏ @Will_Machin 14h14 hours ago

"Ah, but can they do it on a Tuesday night in Hull?"
Erm, of course they fucking can! #wwfc #neves #portuwolves

A few random observation, for what they’re worth…
First things first, I am hugely impressed by Wolves warm-ups, both before the game and after half-time: much greater attention to detail than in previous regimes. Really, really professional – that said, we could easily have been one down after 30 seconds.
For the period between Neves scoring and their goal I almost thought we found it too easy and – like a couple of people have said – I think we became a bit complacent. This isn’t a criticism, as it’s a long season etc. etc., but for me there were long periods last night when Wolves didn’t look like they were very far out of second gear.
Not a lot when right for Bright – was thinking he should be subbed at half-time – and then wham! An assist that I thought was every bit as good as the Neves goal.
Bonatini was the one player who disappointed me, and I’d start Cav or even Dicko over him on Saturday. We just look a better team when Cav is one the pitch. Hopefully the latest rumours of a new striker are correct – we definitely need one, and I’d also like to see an additional CM to take the load off Neves and Saiss – both of whom were brilliant last night.
And bloody hell. Early in the 2nd half we get a free kick in the left back/left half position and Neves casually whacks it 800 yards to Doherty. Did think some of Doc’s end product was a bit lacking – looking forward to see what Marshall/German Phil can do. And on the subject of wing backs, Barry Douglas would have been a steal at £6m – loved the way he applauded the fans as he went over to take a corner.
Did like the look of their RB Ola Aina – if Chelsea don’t want him long term he’d be a great prospect. And must be slightly ominous for DB that Bennett was the late substitution.
One last point. I had a few quid on Wolves to win 3-1 at 30/1. Fucking penalty…

A few random observation, for what they’re worth…
First things first, I am hugely impressed by Wolves warm-ups, both before the game and after half-time: much greater attention to detail than in previous regimes. Really, really professional – that said, we could easily have been one down after 30 seconds.
For the period between Neves scoring and their goal I almost thought we found it too easy and – like a couple of people have said – I think we became a bit complacent. This isn’t a criticism, as it’s a long season etc. etc., but for me there were long periods last night when Wolves didn’t look like they were very far out of second gear.
Not a lot when right for Bright – was thinking he should be subbed at half-time – and then wham! An assist that I thought was every bit as good as the Neves goal.
Bonatini was the one player who disappointed me, and I’d start Cav or even Dicko over him on Saturday. We just look a better team when Cav is one the pitch. Hopefully the latest rumours of a new striker are correct – we definitely need one, and I’d also like to see an additional CM to take the load off Neves and Saiss – both of whom were brilliant last night.
And bloody hell. Early in the 2nd half we get a free kick in the left back/left half position and Neves casually whacks it 800 yards to Doherty. Did think some of Doc’s end product was a bit lacking – looking forward to see what Marshall/German Phil can do. And on the subject of wing backs, Barry Douglas would have been a steal at £6m – loved the way he applauded the fans as he went over to take a corner.
Did like the look of their RB Ola Aina – if Chelsea don’t want him long term he’d be a great prospect. And must be slightly ominous for DB that Bennett was the late substitution.
One last point. I had a few quid on Wolves to win 3-1 at 30/1. $#@!ing penalty…

Bit harsh on Leo, Norman. He isn't there to be flashy, he's there to link the play and he does that really well. He has a thankless task but sticks to it despite sometimes getting a battering. We do need another player who can play that role to take the pressure off him and I feel that Cav will start against Cardiff because we will want to run them into the ground and he is ideal for that situation. Dicko is a different style of forward and ideal for a quick break near the end of a game when we're under pressure as he showed last night. (I called the goal about 2 minutes before it happened, it was just so obvious as they had pushed right up and left only Dawson back and Nouha was always going to beat him in a foot race)

Everyone always goes on about a "backbone" of a good side. Well we have Ruddy-Boly-Neves-Jota - perhaps with one new striker signing to come in, and a returning Helder Costa. For this level, that's mad.

There was no doubt in my mind that these lads would be able to hack it "on a cold Tuesday night". Well yeah, the games will continue to come thick & fast, and the weather will get colder as the season moves on, but it was plain for all to see v Boro, that the lads we've recruited aren't just very naturally gifted footballers, but they'll fight & scrap too.

We've beaten three very good teams at the start of this season, but let's not forget we went 6 x games unbeaten at the start of last season and we all know how that ended up. On that front, I think we need to keep a lid on the expectation - but it certainly feels like we've got a better plan this time around, with more quality in the key areas.

Previous Wolves teams would have buckled when the going got tough last night. At 2-1 up, Hull had a great chance (which Ruddy saved brilliantly) and they hit the post. Throughout all that the message from the sidelines and Nuno was keep calm, keep to the gameplan and keep passing the ball - it's bloody refreshing and best of all, the players are buying in to it and capable of doing it.

Nuno said in his post-match interview that "tomorrow is the most important day". I really like that. One game at a time. Each one as important as the last. Cardiff are up there with us on merit. It sounds like they've played some good stuff going forward - fair play to them. I just get the feeling nothing will phase Nuno and "the boys".

In fairness the games at the start of last season were
Rotherham United (a)
Reading (h)
Ipswich Town (h)
Birmingham City (a)

Rotherham were the worst team in the league last year and we were 2 down after 20 minutes. We did well against Reading who haemoraged goals on the road for the rest of the Season. We beat a blues team who them beat us at home with ten men and stayed up by the skin of their teeth and we lost to RVLP at Huddersfield in game 4. I reckon that we have improved significantly from those first games last season. We have not fluked any win. We have deserved them all , playing football. Long may it continue

You're probably right, Darlo - and clearly he is not as fit as the others. Problem now watching Wolves is that you're so dazzled by the crossfield balls and Boly selling a dummy and the Jota/Douglas link-up that quiet, unselfish work is easily overlooked.
Wouldn't pick out a MOTM from last night, either - it's all about the team

Norman - Aina was at fault for two of their goals. Not marking Jota at the back post for the 2nd and giving the ball away to Cav for our 3rd. Have a read of the Hull forum posted earlier. They all think he's a defensive liability.

A genuinely good tweet from Tim II:

qV1aFPr.png

Think his Fosun reservations may have vanished...
Jota and Bright cost us nothing. Switch them for Cavaleiro and Costa and it jumps up another £20m.

Norman - Aina was at fault for two of their goals. Not marking Jota at the back post for the 2nd and giving the ball away to Cav for our 3rd. Have a read of the Hull forum posted earlier. They all think he's a defensive liability.

Not saying he's perfect, Bear - just that we make allowances for Bright only playing 12 league games - that was Aina's 3rd league game, and (especially going forward) I thought he looked a good prospect. He's 20, so a year or so older than Bright

Not saying he's perfect, Bear - just that we make allowances for Bright only playing 12 league games - that was Aina's 3rd league game, and (especially going forward) I thought he looked a good prospect. He's 20, so a year or so older than Bright

Agreed Norman I was very impressed with him thought he was one of their best players

The other thing I really liked last night was that enormous hug Nuno gave Bright when he subbed him. Really made sure Bright knew how pleased he was. Great man-management

The other thing I really liked last night was that enormous hug Nuno gave Bright when he subbed him. Really made sure Bright knew how pleased he was. Great man-management
Probably wasn't captured on camera but the leap Nuno made when Dicko scored the third would have broken high jump record at the World Athletic Championships.

Back