• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

FA Cup Semi-Final: Watford 3-2 Wolves Verdict Thread

Had to be upbeat to keep the troops happy on the journey back. Now I sit alone with a drink, and the horror finally sets in. Oh god.

Nope. Journey back done and I am still heartbroken. Going to take a few days to get over this.

Gutting to throw away a 2 goal lead, we got pushed back to much and for the first time that I remember we were panicking at the back and just hoofing aimlessly forward, seemed strange to me to take off our 2 best players on the ball and our biggest goal threat. Fair play to Watford though they played some good stuff after they went 2 down.
Think its a bit daft to say Rui would have saved 2 of them, who knows? but I suppose we need a scapegoat.
As for the fans, where we were the atmosphere was great, never stopped singing for most of the game, I couldn't hear the Watford fans apart from when they scored.

As it should. Let it hurt, it's supposed to. The day losing a semi-final doesn't hurt or doesn't matter you may as well put yourself in the ground.

I'm expecting a few half-hearted consolations from 'big 6' fans at work tomorrow - I'm sure there'll even be one or two saying they know how I/we feel. They don't, and they never will. Where this club has been, both for good and bad, means we can still appreciate these days like they matter, not treat them as an afterthought.

Where I was in block 116 it was properly loud and everyone was joining in. I thought the atmosphere was pretty damn good.

It is now imperative that we pick ourselves up and do everything we can to claim seventh. Then we can watch the final and hope City smash Watford (which they should nine times out of ten). We cannot let things slide because we lament today's loss. Tomorrow is another day. Six more matches to go.

Gutting to throw away a 2 goal lead, we got pushed back to much and for the first time that I remember we were panicking at the back and just hoofing aimlessly forward, seemed strange to me to take off our 2 best players on the ball and our biggest goal threat. Fair play to Watford though they played some good stuff after they went 2 down.
Think its a bit daft to say Rui would have saved 2 of them, who knows? but I suppose we need a scapegoat.
As for the fans, where we were the atmosphere was great, never stopped singing for most of the game, I couldn't hear the Watford fans apart from when they scored.
We genuinely had someone complain about us singing today. Behind the goal, and she complained about people trying to sing.

Whilst sitting down, 4 rows from the back of the lower tier.... Why would you choose to sit there if you:

A) don't like singing
B) can't or prefer to watch football seated?

Some women near me asked where the stewards were to get everyone to sit down

Christ above

No matter what i thought about today i'm still immensely proud of this club and the squad. I am also absolutely gutted though, football shouldn't mean this much logically but it does and i'm gonna be a twat to be around over the next week until Southampton away. I thought we had it won and for it to be snatched away in the final seconds with what i think is a debatable penalty was heartbreaking, from then on though Watford deserved it as we never looked comfortable without Ruben and Diogo. Couple of observations from me...

Ruddy is at fault for goals 1 and 3. Look at his positioning for the first goal and tell me why he doesn't move away from his near post and the third is a very tame effort that he set himself too late for.

I was in 117 an it was dead apart from about 10 of us. I thought Watford outsung us apart from before kick off and for 10 minutes after our 2nd. Think that while it sounded a bit tinpot their singing section paid off.

Subs were strange at the time they were made, surely Diogo could have lasted another 5 minutes. Bench isn't strong enough at the minute but that will come with time.

Watford had a lot of the ball but we created the best chances in the first half and had a couple of chances to make it 3 in the second half but wasted them with bad touches so anyone thinking Watford were better is wrong imo, their first goal is the first shot on target and they only had 3 all game, unfortunately they all went in.

If the clubs plans come to fruition then this will be the first semi final of many and there's some fantastic days to come but this day will hurt for a while.

Thats odd, we were in 117 and it felt like everyone around us was singing for most of the game

Didn't feel like that on row 11, been to every game this season and apart from that spell after our second goal and before kick off the atmosphere just wasn't there. Maybe it was being so low down but we were in exactly the same place for the Spurs game and it was bouncing. Hearing a few round us it seemed like they hadn't been to many or any games which was strange for them to have tickets in that area but oh well. Hopefully we can put it behind us next week at Southampton.

Didn't feel like that on row 11, been to every game this season and apart from that spell after our second goal and before kick off the atmosphere just wasn't there. Maybe it was being so low down but we were in exactly the same place for the Spurs game and it was bouncing. Hearing a few round us it seemed like they hadn't been to many or any games which was strange for them to have tickets in that area but oh well. Hopefully we can put it behind us next week at Southampton.

More nerves on such an occasion as today, maybe?

On TV it at least looked like everyone was well up for it. Couldn't hear either set of fans, though.

Have to agree on the atmosphere thought it was flatish, similar in block 122 very close to the Watford fans that there was a lot of "johnny come Latley" fans by us. most the noise generated at away games is by the hardened fans and the southbank at Molineux when you split them up amongst everyone else i think it can lead to the atmosphere we had.
Really trying to be pragmatic about today and how far we've come but its so hard when you come so close, but thats the agony of losing games when you reach later stages of competitions.
As I've said earlier Wembley was a very dark place if you lose, god knows what it must feel like to lose a play off final there.

Still gutted. Can't sleep.

Have seen the penalty decision again and it's the softest of soft. More annoyed that Donk didn't stop the first goal by getting closer.

Our section sung their hearts out. No knock on the fans for me, I thought both sets were noisy and great.

The plastic bags were as shite as Traore.

It is. We fucked up a winning position. Rui saves their first as well.

I think he saves the third but as mentioned I don't understand the grief for Ruddy conceiding the first. It was a great goal.

If you'd ever seen Watford you'd know why I said that. It's a hole.

something I've seen said about Wolverhampton in football discussions numerous times. just seems a bit unnecessary. certainly of any game to say something harsh after though this would be it.

We fucked it.

Absolutely desperate substitutions, not for the first time.

But make no mistake, that was a huge missed opportunity. We’re on the up, but those opportunities don’t present themselves yearly.

absolutely. :(

Last edited:
I thought Traore was pretty much the only bright spot for the time he was on the pitch. Well, Vinagre, too.

There's a problem inherent with using him as a sub; our other attackers are too tired to keep up with him!

Vinny's crossing wasn't great when he came on but like Adama he only really had a very tired Raúl to aim at. Indeed nothing really came off for anyone in extra time.

donk seems to be taking the error pretty hard, looking at the video from after the game. getting slated in a lot of match reports.

sucks cause he's had such a good season, only to be at the center of both initial goal concessions in a semi final.

Timbo said Donck was basically on the verge of breaking down during his whole postmatch interview.

Back