• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Bristol Rovers (h) Carrott Boo Cup 19/9/17

Few posts from the City forum. I hope we smash em

Another tough game. Kids not going to get much time again.
Wolves at home a tough game? Why?
Playing very well. Second in the Championship.

I think they have mixed up the Manchester clubs, isn't it normal for united to get the easiest home draw of the top 5 or 6 ?

Not much difference in quality in any of the remaining championship teams, other than the rags no easy ones left.

Haha, I give up if people are still unhappy when we draw lower league opposition at home and United get an away tie at Premier League opponents!

Typical ! We want out and they give us a bloody easy home draw !!!!!

Wolves are a good side. It won't be that easy but we should be getting through

Couldn't have asked for an easier draw at this stage. Devastating for all the foil hat wearing conspiracy theorist, although i'm sure in their blinkered eyes they just did it to throw us off the scent and they'll be back making their usual claims if we get through and draw a premier league team in the next round because there's only premier league sides left in the competition.

Few posts from the City forum. I hope we smash em

Anyone remember the sunday afternoon match when their fans wanted to lynch Nigel Clough?
Sure Dibble messed up for one goal...blimey they are like a different club now.
"Blue moon...you started singing too soon"

There the best team in the country at the moment, course there going to be cockahoop.

Can't see too much wrong with what they said. Half said tough game, half said easy. Course it's an easy game for them

Nothing they're saying is anything different to how we'd speak about the Yeovil game. "We can put our reserves out and still expect to progress" Dogs and days etc

Wolves were underdogs when we played Manchester City in 1974, the 'experts' said Wolves had no chance against the likes of Bell, Lee and Summerbee. We proved them wrong that day, and while it will be very difficult indeed, why not go and beat them again.

I think we will be even more of an underdog than in that 1974 final. However, IF we play our full side (which I really hope we do) then we can expect City to make some changes as this competition is a poor fourth in their list of priorities. It gives us a slight chance if everything is aligned.

I personally am viewing it as an excellent opportunity to gauge where we are at this stage of our development against possibly the best side in the country.

I think we will be even more of an underdog than in that 1974 final. However, IF we play our full side (which I really hope we do) then we can expect City to make some changes as this competition is a poor fourth in their list of priorities. It gives us a slight chance if everything is aligned.

I personally am viewing it as an excellent opportunity to gauge where we are at this stage of our development against possibly the best side in the country.

Absolutely. Though we were underdogs back in 1974 we had players of the quality of Waggy, Hibbitt, Richards and Munro in our team. And they were all top quality players.

Like you I hope we put a strong team out to measure our progress.

We made the mistake last year of putting too much importance on cup matches, and nearly got involved in a relegation battle.

Nice as it would be to measure ourselves against the best, I think we should concentrate on what is most important to us and that is promotion, IMO.

We made the mistake last year of putting too much importance on cup matches, and nearly got involved in a relegation battle.

Nice as it would be to measure ourselves against the best, I think we should concentrate on what is most important to us and that is promotion, IMO.

Not sure I'd blame the cup run.

We took one point from the following four after the Chelsea loss.

It wasn't as if we started playing as soon as the cup run ended. It took us grinding out a 1-0 in one of the worst displays I've seen against the worst side to play at this level ever (Cambridge were relegated from Division Two in 83/84 with 24 points, Rotherham last year with 23)

We are a bloody different side to then FFS, and with complete different management and coaching

In the FA Cup we put a reserve side out at Liverpool and Stoke and went out in the 5th round. In the EFL Cup we went out in the 3rd round again after picking 3 reserve teams. I don't see how you can say we prioritised the Cups

We were in a relegation battle because Zenga was a nice bloke and shit, and because Lambert was unintelligible, played fucking dull football, and we never fucking won enough.

NOTHING about this season bears any resemblance to last season.

Seems I've touched a nerve.

It's only my opinion and a continuation of what I said last year. I know we are a different team and management to last year but our position is similar in that we have different priorities that I feel are more important than a cup run. Sending out a full strength side would be an unnecessary risk.

We don't need the money and we don't need the extra risk of injuries and fatigue, as we have enough league games to be going on with. If you don't agree, fine, say so, but there is no reason for the attitude.

I would go almost full side but whack Costa and Norris in if both fit and available. City won't Play a full strength side albeit their 2nd string is ridiculously talented. A bit of complacency from them and a bit of magic from Josta (oh yes it has begun) and who knows.

I want to see Norris given a chance on a bigger stage he looks the business to me and as much as I like Ruddy I think if this lad gets a proper chance he may stay in.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Seems I've touched a nerve.

It's only my opinion and a continuation of what I said last year. I know we are a different team and management to last year but our position is similar in that we have different priorities that I feel are more important than a cup run. Sending out a full strength side would be an unnecessary risk.

We don't need the money and we don't need the extra risk of injuries and fatigue, as we have enough league games to be going on with. If you don't agree, fine, say so, but there is no reason for the attitude.
I also would send out a reserve team at City, but your comments on last season aren't based on fact. We played 6 games last season in only one of those did we play a first team, it was on a Saturday and we didn't have a midweek fixture following it. You could write a 10,000 word thesis on what went wrong last season, burnout or injuries from cups would not be included in it.

I also would send out a reserve team at City, but your comments on last season aren't based on fact. We played 6 games last season in only one of those did we play a first team, it was on a Saturday and we didn't have a midweek fixture following it. You could write a 10,000 word thesis on what went wrong last season, burnout or injuries from cups would not be included in it.

It's not just about physicality though and losing sight of your priorities can cost you dearly and affect your mind set.

Time and again over the years clubs at different levels have had 'good' cup runs and lost sight of what's important. I want us to concentrate on the league and I said so last year in the middle of our cup run. I'm not saying it was the deciding factor in our poor league form but I'm sure it didn't help.

Let the 'reserves' have their day and let's concentrate on what's important.

Too many clichés there for me. Let's see where we are when the City game comes and why not go for it and test ourselves against the very best?

Maybe the players might fancy such a game? Doubt we'd win but even a decent performance would help the morale and confidence throughout the team.

It's not as black and white as cup = distraction.

Back