• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Bristol Rovers (h) Carrott Boo Cup 19/9/17

Our best performances last season came with George Saville starting at CM.

Think about that.

I wasn't aware I was giving attitude.

I disagreed with your point of view.

It's not just about physicality though and losing sight of your priorities can cost you dearly and affect your mind set.

Time and again over the years clubs at different levels have had 'good' cup runs and lost sight of what's important. I want us to concentrate on the league and I said so last year in the middle of our cup run. I'm not saying it was the deciding factor in our poor league form but I'm sure it didn't help.

Let the 'reserves' have their day and let's concentrate on what's important.
Equally had we played the reserves vs Newcastle in 2003 and lost, I doubt we'd have gone up.

With respect to all opinions we have been drawn against one of the best teams in England on their own patch. We are clearly ambitious. Why would you not play your best side even if it is just to get a benchmark of where that side is? Go to city with the reserves lose 3 0 learn nothing. Go with a full strength side , lose 3 0 and you know where we need to strengthen possibly? Go to City and win with reserves equals headache on selection. Go with the first team and win, proves coaches selection policy. Barring injury to key players in the 4th round , I can't see any point in not playing your strongest team. Norris and Ruddy aside as they seem pretty equal, play the first team and go for it.

The counter argument is we go with the first team and we get 6 put past us and confidence is seriously dented. Devils advocate we then lose the next league game and it could affect things.

I'm unsure what we should do - would love a deep run, I drove for 3 and 1/2 hours Tuesday just to barely make kick off and had to drive back afterward - knowing full well it would be a reserve side I'd see, so would love us to go deeper in the comp. However the league must be the priority this year

The counter argument is we go with the first team and we get 6 put past us and confidence is seriously dented. Devils advocate we then lose the next league game and it could affect things.

I'm unsure what we should do - would love a deep run, I drove for 3 and 1/2 hours Tuesday just to barely make kick off and had to drive back afterward - knowing full well it would be a reserve side I'd see, so would love us to go deeper in the comp. However the league must be the priority this year
To add to that, Jota / someone else gets injured and misses the rest of the season and everyone says 'why risk him in a pointless game'. Plus it'll probably be the Wednesday night, we'll run ourselves into the ground irrespective of the result and have an away game 2.5 days later. Second string all day long for me.

Last edited:
Preston (H) Saturday before and QPR (A) Saturday after

To add to that, Jota / someone else gets injured and misses the rest of the season and everyone says 'why risk him in a pointless game'. Plus it'll probably be the Wednesday night, we'll run ourselves into the ground irrespective of the result and have an away game 2.5 days later. Second string all day long for me.

I'd say a second string is a bit OTT. There's probably only Jota and Bonatini who are indispensable at the minute. We could rest those and play a Normal strong team with Costa and Bright coming in for those two and pay Cav up front. A little bit more pace in for Bonatini probably wouldn't be a bad thing for this game to be a bit more threatening on the counter.

Second string, squad rotation call it what you like. I wouldn't play kids, but injuries allowing I would play a totally different 11 vs City to the one that plays at Preston or QPR and keep that team fresh.

I would agree had this been round 2 but win this and you can smell the semi final! Players can get injured anytime. That's football.

Second string, squad rotation call it what you like. I wouldn't play kids, but injuries allowing I would play a totally different 11 vs City to the one that plays at Preston or QPR and keep that team fresh.

We will agree to disagree.
A lot of the starting 11 are going to want to play that game.

I would agree had this been round 2 but win this and you can smell the semi final! Players can get injured anytime. That's football.

Tbf I don't think we want to get to the semi final! Two midweek games Man Utd is probably not what we need!

TV Games for 4th round

Spurs v West Ham
Swansea v Man Utd

Must be written into UK law that Cup games involving Man Utd have to be shown live

Premier League vs Premier League... how original :jack:

Their FA Cup games stands at 58 consecutive ties on TV

We will agree to disagree.
A lot of the starting 11 are going to want to play that game.

Tbf I don't think we want to get to the semi final! Two midweek games Man Utd is probably not what we need!

Not what we need but what a boost. Its been forever since we had a cup run in this competition worth talking about and if we are still in this competition come January it will attract even more talent. You cannot predict injuries. In big games you play your big players if you want to win. Seeing Jota and Neves and Costa hopefully, pitting their wits against the quality of city is exactly what we need as a benchmark. I really don't think if they lost 5 nil they would lose confidence. You have been thumped by one of the best 3 sides in the UK. No shame, move on. Win it and it gives a huge boost

...and when they lose 2.5 days later at QPR because they are knackered?

I think we will be even more of an underdog than in that 1974 final. However, IF we play our full side (which I really hope we do) then we can expect City to make some changes as this competition is a poor fourth in their list of priorities. It gives us a slight chance if everything is aligned.

I personally am viewing it as an excellent opportunity to gauge where we are at this stage of our development against possibly the best side in the country.

I missed this post pad! I completely and whole heartedly agree

Pep thinks the League Cup is a waste of energy for his players......Might as well concede now Peppy and save everyone from having to put up with playing a game of football and we will move onto the next round

...and when they lose 2.5 days later at QPR because they are knackered?

They could lose at QPR when not knackered! Losing away can and will happen. Regardless of the timing. Its losing to complete dross like blues at home Burton away and Wigan away that gripes me. In truth would the reserve squad Get a point at QPR? How much better is our team with Neves and Jota in it? Bonatini links it all. The back three has 5 strong candidates. We are covered at lwb nicely and OK at rwb. We have 2 of the top 6 keepers in this division in my opinion. We could play a very strong flair side v city and play a strong side v QPR too, with just 3 or 4 changes

Back