• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Man City Carabao Cup Build Up Thread

Pullis “Right lads let’s study the dingles match against them for Saturday to see how we stop the goal machine like they did”

“But gaffer we have to use a Premier football”

Well they can score with that one so right to be worried

Vinagre 7 or 8 was about right..bad defensively first half and lost some balls too going forward..grew into the game though and got better and better

Vinagre 7 or 8 was about right..bad defensively first half and lost some balls too going forward..grew into the game though and got better and better

He's very young and has only just about reached double figures in senior games - not entirely surprised that he got roasted a bit in the first half up against Sterling, but clearly got to grip with it & learned the lesson so by the end of the match he was making experienced players look stupid.

A special talent

No doubt he is very talented..just my verdict on that game..not very easy to be up against Sterling though! :)

Ruben was poor in the first half, I thought. Improved hugely in the second half, though, and the aforementioned mugging off of Kyle Walker was just sensational.

Ruben was poor in the first half, I thought. Improved hugely in the second half, though, and the aforementioned mugging off of Kyle Walker was just sensational.

Bit harsh singling Vinagre out as he had a fine game. Just remember who we were playing and the players he came up against! I was more concerned about Bennett and he got a bloody 9!

Bit harsh singling Vinagre out as he had a fine game. Just remember who we were playing and the players he came up against! I was more concerned about Bennett and he got a bloody 9!
Beforehand I was too..but he took care of the defensive shit pretty good..and got amazing help from Ronan to keep Sane quiet..

I wouldn't single out Ruben really but for the nature of his faults in the early goings. Two or three times he let Sterling get in behind him after a simple one-two with a City player (can't remember who, possibly Gundogan) and Vinagre had just stopped tracking Sterling altogether. He was pretty diabolical in the first half hour I think if we're being fair, but like I say he was a completely different player in the second half and Sterling got no joy against him for the rest of the match.

He's going to be some player. Remember I think he'll be worth 35m or more in a couple of years!

I'd go with the same 2 for MOTM Al. Norris was awesome man. His parry's were strong and into a decent spot mostly so stopped extra danger. Looks small on the pitch to me but came up big!

And you said we'd sell V for 35m ;D. He might end up being worth that heh

I wouldn't single out Ruben really but for the nature of his faults in the early goings. Two or three times he let Sterling get in behind him after a simple one-two with a City player (can't remember who, possibly Gundogan) and Vinagre had just stopped tracking Sterling altogether. He was pretty diabolical in the first half hour I think if we're being fair, but like I say he was a completely different player in the second half and Sterling got no joy against him for the rest of the match.

He's going to be some player. Remember I think he'll be worth 35m or more in a couple of years!
Bright MOTM for me..then Norris + entire defence for me

£35m Alan..where did you get that from??

Bright MOTM for me..then Norris + entire defence for me

Norris was great at Cambridge. He looked capable then of playing at the highest level. I am ultra biased as I always played in goal from 1973 to 2016. But I think we have the best pair of keepers now that we have ever had. There is little to choose between them and they are both premier quality.

Norris was great at Cambridge. He looked capable then of playing at the highest level. I am ultra biased as I always played in goal from 1973 to 2016. But I think we have the best pair of keepers now that we have ever had. There is little to choose between them and they are both premier quality.

We had Murray and Hennessey on our books at the same time (and then later Hahnemann). All three of those keepers are better than the two we have now.

We had Murray and Hennessey on our books at the same time (and then later Hahnemann). All three of those keepers are better than the two we have now.
Really liked Hahnemann

Wouldn’t say Hennessey or Hahnemann are better than Ruddy (although Hahnemann and Ruddy are very similar).

Hennessey had the ability to pull off unreal saves, but he also had a clanger in him. He was also terrible coming off his line to claim crosses despite his size and also poor at sweeping up behind the defence. Ruddy and Hahnemann are both just solid keepers who do everything really well and don’t throw it in their net. The main thing that separates keepers at the top level is how prone to a howler they are.

Wouldn’t say Hennessey or Hahnemann are better than Ruddy (although Hahnemann and Ruddy are very similar).

Hennessey had the ability to pull off unreal saves, but he also had a clanger in him. He was also terrible coming off his line to claim crosses despite his size and also poor at sweeping up behind the defence. Ruddy and Hahnemann are both just solid keepers who do everything really well and don’t throw it in their net. The main thing that separates keepers at the top level is how prone to a howler they are.

I agree on Hennessey certainly don’t think he’s any better than Ruddy. In fact I thought Hennessey was overrated at times and I wasn’t to disappointed when he left.

Murray had the lot so I would agree with Lycan on that, Hen I am not so sure, good shot stopper and great kicking but he didn't command his area well enough considering his size and seemed to make a lot of mistakes. I think Ruddy is a good steady keeper and miles better than our options for the last few seasons but I think ultimately Norris will be better.

Norris looks so far to have unbelievable shot stopping skills and a good command of the box but his kicking is not good at all and needs considerable improvment.

The problem we have now is that Norris will need games at a good level to develop his game so at some stage he has to be considered for 1st team action but I can understand if he isn't as Ruddy has been very consistent apart from 1 complete howler.

Hennessey is nowhere near as good as Ruddy and probably behind Norris for me. He still has the same failings now that he had at Wolves... can't command the area and is only a good shot stopper if the ball isn't low and to his left. He's really poor at getting down to the corner. I wouldn't have him back over Ruddy or Norris

Back