• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves are for sale and Darlo wants some smooth thighs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember the fan meltdown from Soton when they sacked Adkins and brought in Poch. There was plenty of the same naysaying and doom-mongering then. Worked out OK for them wouldn't you say?

If you were going to make Wolverhampton Wanderers a top European club, would you employ a manager who has achieved nothing as football league manager? 2003 he lasted 10 matches with a second division team. He wasn't employed again as a first team coach (except), Real Madrid B, for over 10 years. He has won nothing and never got promotion as a first team manager of a football club.
Youth level, yes. Friends of Mendes, yes. A manager to make Wolves great again?

Let's look at a manager who got promoted from the Championship last season. Before getting the Boro job Karanka managed the Spanish U16 and then become assistance at Madrid. Now of course he built his team up but his past record and job history meant zip.

Now our new man could come in and be a disaster....but then again so could someone with a CV filled with great roles and trophies.

If you were going to make Wolverhampton Wanderers a top European club, would you employ a manager who has achieved nothing as football league manager? 2003 he lasted 10 matches with a second division team. He wasn't employed again as a first team coach (except), Real Madrid B, for over 10 years. He has won nothing and never got promotion as a first team manager of a football club.

We aren't locked into keeping him forever if he's rubbish, are we?

Didn't most people think the Lopetegui sacking at Porto was a little harsh? Weren't they 4 points off top when he was sacked and finished 11 points off after he left? And didn't he manage them to the quarter finals of the Champions League?

(all of the above is from memory)

Absolutely astounding that someone is turning their nose up at a Manager with that kind of pedigree.

I think it's absolutely fair enough to mention he's not got that much experience of club football, and we all remember the Solbakken debacle so it's only natural to be slightly wary - but this is a completely different scenario. We're linked with a very highly rated coach who apparently plays good, attractive football and will have plenty of money to spend.

I think THM's points are fair enough, but I don't think we need to be too concerned assuming this all goes through.

I'll take a 62.8% win rate next season. That would be more than enough to get promoted.

Didn't most people think the Lopetegui sacking at Porto was a little harsh? Weren't they 4 points off top when he was sacked and finished 11 points off after he left? And didn't he manage them to the quarter finals of the Champions League?

(all of the above is from memory)

Absolutely astounding that someone is turning their nose up at a Manager with that kind of pedigree.

Did he win anything with Porto? Why did he have to wait over 10 years to be employed as a first team club manager, after being sacked at Rayo Vallecano? Why didn't any Spanish Liga team never employ him?

Calm yourself THM. Nobody's talking about 'Making Wolves Great Again' (you should make yourself a nice red hat with that slogan on the front), most of us are just thrilled at the prospect of someone slightly more exciting than Kenny Jackett.

Then again no one has said he is the manager to turn us into a top European club - agree that cannot see any reason why we are not being bought with expectations of getting into the Premier, but whether Lopetegui's going to be there for the whole journey to world domination will depend on how he does. (& yes enough have already said that there is no certainty of sucess whoever the manager is or how much money is spent - will just be less boring than last year)

Did he win anything with Porto? Why did he have to wait over 10 years to be employed as a first team club manager, after being sacked at Rayo Vallecano? Why didn't any Spanish Liga team never employ him?

I honestly don't know much about him, but maybe he didn't think he was ready after his first stint as a manager, and used the time between his first job and taking charge of the Real Madrid B team to earn more coaching qualifications? I honestly don't now, but I don't think it's fair to instantly dismiss this gap in his career without knowing a bit more about it.

If he really was in the running to be the Spanish head coach, that's more than good enough for me!!

Porto didn't win any silverware the season before Lopetegui joined either. He didn't exactly take over a club who were bagging trophies left, right & centre.

I assume La Liga teams didn't employ him as he was already employed by the Spanish FA.

Whilst I accept your points (which Langers has also alluded to), I will stick with my earlier point that I find it astounding any Wolves fan can realistically turn their nose up at a guy who has managed a club through to the quarter finals of the champions league.

DW has also stated that, IF Lopetegui came in and things weren't going to plan, the power is with the club to remove him if need be - I can't imagine a new owner who's investing heavily in the club will sit and watch us finish mid-table in the Championship.

Just like that you prove my point. Poch had achieved nothing when Soton brought him in. Not done too badly but still hasn't won anything. Who knows how good Lope is, he might be great like Poch or abysmal like Stale, we can always sack him as DW says.

Mendes has been trying to get Lopertegui a job for several months.

Looking like he might have managed it then - think most of us would just like a change from last seasons extreme boredom which was only going to come from a sale.

If that means him as manager then fine, like all manager's his future will be decided by his ability to succeed

Porto didn't win any silverware the season before Lopetegui joined either. He didn't exactly take over a club who were bagging trophies left, right & centre.

I assume La Liga teams didn't employ him as he was already employed by the Spanish FA.

Whilst I accept your points (which Langers has also alluded to), I will stick with my earlier point that I find it astounding any Wolves fan can realistically turn their nose up at a guy who has managed a club through to the quarter finals of the champions league.

DW has also stated that, IF Lopetegui came in and things weren't going to plan, the power is with the club to remove him if need be - I can't imagine a new owner who's investing heavily in the club will sit and watch us finish mid-table in the Championship.

Would you like Avram Grant in charge?

Over Kenny Jackett? Yes.

You get my point.

or to put in another way when you find out that your struggling football club is to be bought by an organisation worth billions with the prospect of multi-million pound transfers being made, would you piss on your chips because of the manager they might appoint?

How about over Lopetegui?

Finalist >>> Quarter Finalist

I would take either over Jackett.

It's a fairly simple point. There are some fans getting fussy over a potential manager with Champions League experience - along with his achievements managing the Spain youth sides (talented as they are, you still need to manage that talent). We finished 14th in the Championship last season.

Some fans need a reality check.

At the current time we don't have a squad to challenge for promotion & are more likely to be flirting with relegation unless there is some incoming

If the price of change & a sale is a somewhat unproven manager (certainly at this particular level) then so be it - can't see that it makes us more likely to go down again than we are at the moment.

Any manager lives or dies by the results he gets - if he doesn't get sufficient his services will, no doubt, be dispensed with.

Taken from a Spanish newspaper after the sacking at Porto.

Mendes lleva meses intentando convencer a su amigo Peter Lim para que contrate a Lopetegui, en lo que se ha convertido en un pulso entre el superagente y el director deportivo del club. Para Mendes es muy importante la operación, por cuanto tras Lopetegui habría desembarco de futbolistas de la casa Mendes, con lo que se convertiría en una operación múltiple para el representante portugués.

Mendes has spent months trying to convince his friend Peter Lim ( Chinese owner of Valencia), to give Lopetegui a contract ( as manager). It has become a battle of wills, between the superagente and the sporting director of the club.
For Mendes the operation with Lopertegui, would follow the arrival of players, which Mendes is the agent for and this would convert in to a multiple business transaction for the Portuguese agent, ( Mendes).

For me you just need to look at the calibre of player that we've 'missed out on' this summer. These are the players that Kenny Jackett and Kevin Thelwell have identified to improve our bang average squad with our current meagre budget: Jake Bidwell, Nick Powell, Ashley Fletcher, Jack Payne, Jason Cummings, Idrissa Sylla... Add to that the Andy Lonergan transfer that we managed to sneak over the line before takeover became serious (an incredibly underwhelming transfer considering the goalkeeping talent up for grabs in this window).

Would I rather blunder around mid table Championship level with Jackett and his squad of average Championship bilge or would I rather take a risk on Lope and players like Ivan Cavaleiro (even if they are only here for a season or two). Ask Watford fans if they fancy a return to the Boothroyd/Rodgers days back when they had to accept £3.5M for Danny Graham, their best player at the time, or if they prefer it now they can reject £20M+ for Troy Deeney from the Premier League champions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back