• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves are for sale and Darlo wants some smooth thighs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wolves with decent backing is a fantastic opportunity for any up and coming manager.

Agreed - the infrastructure & base are there, just needs the right personnel & plan (plus sufficient money to put those into operation properly!)

If Spain offers more money for less work then why would he hold out for the Wolves job?

There aren't many more prestigious national sides to work with than Spain, especially if you're Spanish, so if his true goal is proving himself as one of the best around then surely that job offers that potential too?

I don't think his hiring would suggest anything in particular about how they're likely to run the club, just that he's tied into things with Mendes some how.

Because hes been promised money to spend ??? i dunno im just trying to think in a more positive light, i mean anything is better at this point.

The dross we had to watch last year i for one look forward to this chapter of wolves.

Lopetegui's, first team professional management career, was lasting 10 matches in the Spanish Second division, with Rayo Vallecano way back in 2003. He was sacked after 10 matches. He didn't manage another first team football club until he got the sack at Porto earlier this year. He managed Real Madrid B, that's it. His only achievements are with the Spanish under 21 and 19's. As you know, Spain are blessed with young talent.

I can't see how, if your objective is to get promoted from the English championship, win the PL and win the European cup, you would employ Julen Lopetegui. If you want to become a feeder club and develope young players, given to you by Mendes, to then sell on as a profit, it makes perfect sense.

not been following for awhile. has this Li guy now got nothing to do with any possible buy out ? where as this other consortium come from out of the blue ?
seems i'm losing the plot with this. just hoping it doesn't end up a complete balls up !

We can't exactly attract Carlo Ancelotti right now though, can we. Regardless of how much money is available to buy players.

Lopetegui's, first team professional management career, was lasting 10 matches in the Spanish Second division, with Rayo Vallecano way back in 2003. He was sacked after 10 matches. He didn't manage another first team football club until he got the sack at Porto earlier this year. He managed Real Madrid B, that's it. His only achievements are with the Spanish under 21 and 19's. As you know, Spain are blessed with young talent.

I can't see how, if your objective is to get promoted from the English championship, win the PL and win the European cup, you would employ Julen Lopetegui. If you want to become a feeder club and develope young players, given to you by Mendes, to then sell on as a profit, it makes perfect sense.

Well the best place for young players to play is the Premier league, you wont sell them for mega bucks in the Championship would you ?

not been following for awhile. has this Li guy now got nothing to do with any possible buy out ? where as this other consortium come from out of the blue ?
seems i'm losing the plot with this. just hoping it doesn't end up a complete balls up !

We have zero idea if Li is or was or never was involved or if the new link is new or old. We are having to feed off scraps being thrown to us to make us click on websites.

If you're part of a Chinese conglomerate and you can basically fart money, why would you finance a half-arsed attempt to run a mid-table 2nd tier team?

If Spain offers more money for less work then why would he hold out for the Wolves job?

There aren't many more prestigious national sides to work with than Spain, especially if you're Spanish, so if his true goal is proving himself as one of the best around then surely that job offers that potential too?

I don't think his hiring would suggest anything in particular about how they're likely to run the club, just that he's tied into things with Mendes some how.

Why hasn't he ever been offered a good job as a manager, in la Liga. Surely if he was seen as a good first team coach, he would have been employed at least once, by a top, Or even decent Spanish team?

Well, as mere fans, we're hardly reliably informed at every/any step of the way. We're all, including the press, just feeding on scraps, rumours and supposed leaks; none of it ratifiable in anyway. All we can deduce for certain is that something is definitely going to happen soon as there's no other reason for the club to be so quiet about the conjecture and inactive in the transfer market at the moment.

Why hasn't he ever been offered a good job as a manager, in la Liga. Surely if he was seen as a good first team coach, he would have been employed at least once, by a top, Or even decent Spanish team?
Guillem was saying he rejected La Liga jobs to take the Wolves one. Obviously no idea how true that is

If you're part of a Chinese conglomerate and you can basically fart money, why would you finance a half-arsed attempt to run a mid-table 2nd tier team?

Mendes has a great portfolio for buying and selling players. There is a lot of money to be made, by getting young players, developing them and selling them at a massive profit. You couldn't have a better man than Mendes for that.
Lopertegui is proven at academy level. He has never done anything at first team management level. The championship is a hard league to get out of, as we know.
Anybody who looks at Lopetegui's first team management career history, would surely see that you wouldn't employ him and spend 100's of millions trying to establish Wolves as a top European football club!

Mendes has a great portfolio for buying and selling players. There is a lot of money to be made, by getting young players, developing them and selling them at a massive profit. You couldn't have a better man than Mendes for that.
Lopertegui is proven at academy level. He has never done anything at first team management level. The championship is a hard league to get out of, as we know.
Anybody who looks at Lopetegui's first team management career history, would surely see that you wouldn't employ him and spend 100's of millions trying to establish Wolves as a top European football club!

First thing's first - let's get to the Premier League. Absolutely no reason why Lopetegui isn't the man to do that with his successes with young players, and his time with Porto. He must have something about him for the Spanish FA to have considered him for the national team role!

I remember the fan meltdown from Soton when they sacked Adkins and brought in Poch. There was plenty of the same naysaying and doom-mongering then. Worked out OK for them wouldn't you say?

Guillem was saying he rejected La Liga jobs to take the Wolves one. Obviously no idea how true that is

Rejected the chance, maybe. There were other managers with a chance too! Maybe he will get a higher wage at Wolves and a percentage of the profits from the sale of players. Speculation, I know.

Just look at Lopetegui's achievements as a first team coach of a professional football league club. Like I said, sacked in 2003 at Rayo Vallecano after 10 matches. Then Real Madrid B team and no other job in first team management until the Porto job. He has never won anything, never been promoted and never been taken on, by a Liga team as a first team manager.

Rejected the chance, maybe. There were other managers with a chance too! Maybe he will get a higher wage at Wolves and a percentage of the profits from the sale of players. Speculation, I know.

Just look at Lopetegui's achievements as a first team coach of a professional football league club. Like I said, sacked in 2003 at Rayo Vallecano after 10 matches. Then Real Madrid B team and no other job in first team management until the Porto job. He has never won anything, never been promoted and never been taken on, by a Liga team as a first team manager.

So what do you want then? Carry on as we are?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Porto stats:

Games: 77
Won: 53
Drawn: 15
Lost: 9
Goals: 157
Conceded: 52

Win %: 62.8

Doesn't seem too bad to me - it's the only role he's had since being involved with Spain between 2010-14 (during which time he lost 1 match).

precisely. and if you just wanted to have a feeder club, you could do it a lot cheaper than having to meet Steve Morgan's minimum sale fee.

given the profile of the Premier League and the money it generates it seems really odd not to consider that to be the main goal of the buyers. obviously any buyer rich enough could go and look at a Premier Club instead so either they don't like the price of those or there's a more strategic issue in building a squad up rather than inheriting a costly one in terms of wages.

as for the suggested manager - I think we know from experience that a foreign manager with good ideas guarantees nothing in this country/division/sport even if he has a big budget. It's a risk which we called from the start so I'm not sure why we need to be continually reminded of it.

Didn't most people think the Lopetegui sacking at Porto was a little harsh? Weren't they 4 points off top when he was sacked and finished 11 points off after he left? And didn't he manage them to the quarter finals of the Champions League?

(all of the above is from memory)

Absolutely astounding that someone is turning their nose up at a Manager with that kind of pedigree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back