• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 3-0 Liverpool: Verdict Thread

If you want negatives:

1) As I mentioned, Adama kept leaving us stupidly exposed down our right for the start of the second half. It's insane that even with hundreds of top flight appearances he needs to be permanently told what to do at all times. Also did one of his trademark 'try to run the ball out from the edge of his own box' efforts, lost it as he often does, and it could have cost us. But he did sort it out and played well in the end.

2) We were deprived of Joe Gomez vs Joao Gomes. God damn you Lopetegui.

3) We didn't score off our billion passes near the end. That would have been off the scale.

35 years I've been going and yesterday is comfortably in the top 10 performances I've ever seen from us.

Raul completely muffed his big chance but at 3-0 I didn't care too much, and his general play was OK.
He made the wrong decision to go with his cheeky flick. He needed to be running onto the ball to get that right.

If you want negatives:

1) As I mentioned, Adama kept leaving us stupidly exposed down our right for the start of the second half. It's insane that even with hundreds of top flight appearances he needs to be permanently told what to do at all times. Also did one of his trademark 'try to run the ball out from the edge of his own box' efforts, lost it as he often does, and it could have cost us. But he did sort it out and played well in the end.

3) We didn't score off our billion passes near the end. That would have been off the scale.

35 years I've been going and yesterday is comfortably in the top 10 performances I've ever seen from us.
4) it wasn’t 5-0 😁

He’s certainly not short of confidence if that finish is anything to go by! The type [of finish] tried by a striker coming off a WC win and 11 goals in his last seven games. Not one that should be tried by a forward trying to rediscover his game from three years previous.

You’ve got to admire him but it was clearly the wrong decision.

It was definitely. I said to John that's the best feeling since City 3-2, absolutely dominant performance and we played them off the park. I did a Paddy and had a browse of RAWK last night and more than one of them said we were "crap", sour grapes I know but it still rankles that they can't accept that we were the better team by miles and just played them off the park.

Raul trying to punt it in from 40 yards multiple times when we were desperate to hold onto the ball wasn't super helpful either - bit Keogh vs Arsenal. But ultimately he did what we needed, which was give some more energy up front.

Nunes absolutely did a job on the left. He did give it away a few times but it seems like he always does, its a tradeoff with him.

One moment that epitomised Nunes' performance yesterday was him sliding across the turf on the halfway line to intercept a pass with his body, getting up and keeping possession which stopped a potential Liverpool attack and started one of our own. He gave his everything yesterday in a position he normally doesn't play. I don't get the negatives at all.

Plenty of posts here and elsewhere recently about the atmosphere and reasons for it. Price, demographics etc etc - all of which play a part. Yesterday proved conclusively that the number one driver is product. And not when we were 3-0 up or when we won, it was from the first minute when the intensity and tempo (coupled with a belief in the manager and squad) had people off their seats.

We are an easy crowd to please. Keith Downing wasn’t fit to lace Darren Anderson’s boots [different eras I know] but one had the crowd loving his effort and tenacity, the other had 50 (guessing) England caps.

30 caps and 7 goals, 1 England B cap. I checked as felt it would be less than 50 as he played on the era when it seemed like International games were less frequent.

(just in case anyone else cares!)

It wasn't about less games, it was about him miraculously only being fit for tournaments.

It’s annoying we can’t play them again on Tuesday/Wednesday. I suppose it’s going to be played on Liverpool’s terms.

If you want negatives:

That would make a great blog/post mate. Would love to read that.

He made the wrong decision to go with his cheeky flick. He needed to be running onto the ball to get that right.
100% agree. Just put your foot through it or side foot it low in to the bottom corner and you’ve got your goal. No idea what he was thinking, pissing about with a chip. Raul is probably the one one in the squad that hasn’t shown some signs of improvement since Lop came in. I think he’s done and will be off in the summer.

100% agree. Just put your foot through it or side foot it low in to the bottom corner and you’ve got your goal. No idea what he was thinking, pissing about with a chip. Raul is probably the one one in the squad that hasn’t shown some signs of improvement since Lop came in. I think he’s done and will be off in the summer.

Looked like he was trying to clip it round him rather than chip it to me at least. I've no idea why so few strikers just go round the keeper, always found that easier than trying to slot it past them.

Strikers prefer going early on the shot, hit it before the keeper has a chance to set up.
He would have seen the keeper coming out and gone for the flick over him as he can hit before he can make himself big. Wrong call, mainly because he isn't in the best position himself to do it.

However that is not the sign of a player who is done...its a snap decision and he got it wrong. Plenty of times before his injury he has made the wrong call when in on goal.

Looked like he was trying to clip it round him rather than chip it to me at least. I've no idea why so few strikers just go round the keeper, always found that easier than trying to slot it past them.
The theory is taking it early so the keeper can't change direction as they're already committed.

And to be fair to Raul he's very good at it. Look at the disallowed goal against West Ham.

@Jinky I disagree Raul hasn't improved he looks much sharper now and is making good runs as well as keeping the ball much better than he was a few weeks ago. I think he's got a big part to play this season.

Last edited:
I thought he was going for a dinked square pass, if it was a shot it was some fucking mishit

Raul loves the chip. And he normally nails it.

Wouldn’t say this was the time for it as the ball coming accross rather than him carrying it makes it harder and also Alisson hadn’t really commited.

Was probably coming across perfectly for the first time curler far post or fake that and go round him.

I actually thought Nunes could/should have gone around the keeper when he stole it off Matip for his chance, too.

Fine lines etc.

Back