• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2 - 1 QPR - Verdict Thread

Presumably if the ref/lino had seen that it is not just a red card but also a penalty?

I have no idea how the linesman missed it. It looked like he was looking right at it.

Whilst it was a nervy end and several players were not at their best (Ruddy, Douglas, N'Daiye, Afobe) it was a good game and credit to QPR that they made a game of it.

Both sets of fans were great too and even Holloway acknowledging the South Bank for 'you're just a shit peaky blinder' gets a nod of appreciation. QPR fans singing 'you only came to see the Rangers' was very quick when the attendance was announced.

A good day and if MGW continues his good progression we will have one hell of a footballer on our books.

Great first half performance. The front three looked fantastic in that first 45, Cav especially finding so much space for Neves to play balls into.

Second half it seems they couldn't get going, and QPR took full advantage. That lanky fucker they brought on (Smith?) caused our backline a lot of problems in the air. Thought Nuno may have switched Boly and Coady positions, Smith was winning everything in the air against Coady. A few players had off-day (well second half definitely) but we stood up to the test and got the 3 points. Last season we wouldn't have come out of that game with the points.

I know what you mean by putting Boly closer to Smith but quite often it was a diagonal pass to him so it was generally either Bennett/Boly challenging him in the air. As I think Bear said, while they put us under pressure they weren't particularly effective as Coady swept everything that was knocked down behind and I thought Neves was particularly good in winning the 'second ball'. I think we were quite clearly prepared for that from the last time we played them.

Yes, seemed to be more Bennett challenging Smith than Coady, he did ok, but it's not easy to defend.

Must be my memory going! I know Bennett and Boly were going against him too, but Smith seemed to be winning his headers v Coady.

Later on Coady seemed to take more of a sit back and wait tactic - letting Smith win the header and then trying to mop up after.

If it were me I would have told then to go to a back 4 with Bennett and Coady in the centre and then just told Boly to follow the big lump everywhere. But that's probably why I'm not a football coach :)

Holloway got his tactics wrong in the first half and correct in the second. Deciding to play against us with a high line was a bizarre tactic, I presume it's to squeeze the midfield and force the forwards offside, just so badly conceived. Second half, they put Smith on, but used his height in an intelligent way, yes there was the corners and set pieces, but they were targeting him with diagonal balls, which for a man of his height is very difficult to defend against. It wasn't the classic put the big guy on and get the centre halves to launch it, which on paper it might look like it was.

I don’t mind Holloway. Yes, he chats a lot of shite and I’d never wish to see him in charge of the football team I support (and thankfully that’ll never happen) but he’s never done anything to massively offend me and he has a sense of humour so fair play. He’s no where near Steve Bruce on the cockwomble charts, put it that way.

And yesterday you have to tip the cap (boom boom) to him as well because he made the change at half time and they did cause us a fair few issues in that second half. As others have said, last season we wouldn’t have won that game.

We looked really good 1st half and should have been 5 or 6 we really need to finish these teams off could quite easily have thrown that away.

Second half WTF it was so sloppy Alf, c
Cav, Jota, Douglas to name a few juat so guikty of.losing the ball giving it away, we really need to keep the ball and control the game.

Quick observations, not had time to do a proper write-up:

- Ruddy messed up some routine stuff but when called upon made a couple of big saves.

- Worst game I've seen Douglas have for us, offered little going forward and was very shaky in the second half defensively

- Other than one missed header (Smith should have scored), Boly was immense

- Great last ditch stuff from Coady and Bennett when required

- N'Diaye was a real mixed bag, terrible first 10 minutes, good after his lucky goal, dire second half

- Afobe is trying a bit too hard, should have scored at least one

- Credit to QPR for giving it a go second half, many teams would have just given up

- For all the consternation about how we played second half, we did still create a fair amount and the half hour after our first goal was superb, could and should have been out of sight

- Neves is still a ridiculous footballer

Bennett MOTM, Douglas was pulled back and kicked which is why he was going mad about the corner. MGW cameo superb.
I am wondering about this striker we need, watching us start again without a striker and tbf looking far more dangerous.
Is that the way Nuno wants to go? Leo was injured but he could have started Afobe but chose this fluid front three.
As for the Ruddy bashing its all a bit embarrassing to me. Top of the league hardly a wrong move all season.

Thought the first half was excellent yesterday. Really fluid football and we found pockets of space easily and we're comfortable. The second half we were dreadful, Alf was probably the worst on the pitch poor first touch and just didn't look like controlling the midfield.

I also felt Jota should have been subbed instead of Cav, Jota looked shattered. Great to see MGW though, really good cameo from him.

My Spurs mates who came felt that in the prem we would have lost that game with a second half performance like that.

- Worst game I've seen Douglas have for us, offered little going forward and was very shaky in the second half defensively

- Other than one missed header (Smith should have scored), Boly was immense

- N'Diaye was a real mixed bag, terrible first 10 minutes, good after his lucky goal, dire second half

Timmy II disagrees

Boly 5/10
Douglas 6/10
Alfy 6/10

Timmy needs to spend less time in the Hogshead.

Why doesn't he like Boly? He's always marking him down.

If it wasn't for Boly covering Douglas, we'd be in real trouble down that wing.

Timbo has a real thing for old skool English footballers like Dave etc.

Back