• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-1 Derby: The Verdict

He has played every game hasn't he since he came from Brighton (or almost every game), where he had a sly pop at the club via the media. If the club were going to bomb him out for the Social media postings, he wouldn't have played v Brentford. It was an easy option today - Fans got on his back after a poor performance (by all). A slow start v Derby and he is a clear target and the atmosphere is against the team. We shall see what happens but I will be surprised if that is the last we see of him.

I think the club better learn from this week and I still want Moxey and Thelwell out. There is no way that the result today should deflect from that. If KJ has any sense he'll bomb him out completely. Saville gave a good interview after the game - he is fit to wear the shirt. I have more faith in KJ listening to us than Moxey and Thelwell. I find KJ of much better character and dignity for a start.

Moxey/Thelwell - OUT

I didnt think we were that good
..for a home team second half we were ran over..lucky to win despite siggys shot on the post. Helan, good debut at LB

..for a home team second half we were ran over..lucky to win despite siggys shot on the post. Helan, good debut at LB

I thought Derby were everything we don't want to be. Add expensive players like Bent and Ince and you get a commotion. Our boys did them !!! Says it all. It isn't about money but what Moxey never understands is that we hold people accountable. It is not a defined science - Moxey OUT.

Auto correct changing Left Wing to LB is a bitch...

We weren't ran over. Derby had the ball a lot, but we defended well (yes, defended and well in the same sentence) and from memory they had a couple of long range efforts straight at Ikeme and Ince put one from 20 yards out (we had a disallowed goal, hit the post & scored to balance that up).

We are team missing key players and low on confidence up against a team that can take you apart if you give them space (see our last 2 games at Pride Park for examples) so if you think we are going to roll out the attacking stuff against them you need to slap yourself. It wasn't pretty but what you got was a very very good team performance. Everyone did a job and did it well, no one gave up or looked out of place and for that alone they deserved the 3 points. Also Helan played LW.

Derby barely had a clear cut chance, that is a massive improvement on our recent defensive showings where it's been shots in.

Derby barely had a clear cut chance, that is a massive improvement on our recent defensive showings where it's been shots in.

Probably as they were all too focused on the post game dominoes being delivered for them... (FYI this is true they had dominoes as the post game meal - pic on twitter with it being delivered)

Probably as they were all too focused on the post game dominoes being delivered for them... (FYI this is true they had dominoes as the post game meal - pic on twitter with it being delivered)

Chris Martin probably intercepted a couple of them for himself, the fat bastard.

Ha ha! I saw the delivery car with the pizzas being unloaded from the boot outside the Billy Wright after the match. Joked that it was the win bonus for our boys. :icon_lol:

Ha ha! I saw the delivery car with the pizzas being unloaded from the boot outside the Billy Wright after the match. Joked that it was the win bonus for our boys. :icon_lol:

Going for the Raneri method (although apparently that was grossly blown out of proportion)

Shit i must have watched a different game to you guys..im a little scared if you think this was good..

You probably were watching a different game as you thought Helan was playing LB.

Shit i must have watched a different game to you guys..im a little scared if you think this was good..

It wasn't good in terms of attacking and dominating it was good in terms of a team performance, limiting the (better) opposition and making the most of our own chances.

It was bloody fantastic compared to Huddersfield!

We finally looked like a unit, well drilled at the back, both Helan and Byrne helped out nicely making it a tight five at times. Then both came out ok without any real threat personally, but the main aim was keep it tight and don't get over ran which worked, that meant Macca and Coady had and used a lot of the ball well, and for the first time in ages it allowed that third midfielder to join the attack without us looking bare.

In the context of a run of three points from seven games with virtually no-one fancying us to get anything then it was a good performance. We clearly weren't going to magically turn into an irresistible attacking force overnight.

I don't think anyone thinks it was a perfect performance but was it a major improvement, yes, was it a really lucky win like those over Christmas, no.

In the context of a run of three points from seven games with virtually no-one fancying us to get anything then it was a good performance. We clearly weren't going to magically turn into an irresistible attacking force overnight.

I don't think anyone thinks it was a perfect performance but was it a major improvement, yes, was it a really lucky win like those over Christmas, no.

Bucket loads of spades for this.

Derby were not the best team in the game and Wolves deserved the points.

Do I feel we were perfect no; see Dom Iorfa's appalling control of the the football, Mason's abysmal attempt at a right winger and a Sigurdarson who was slightly lucky to stay on the pitch.

But compared to the football I have seen Wolves play over the last 8 games, it was like watching Barca!

Well.....just caught up with this excitement, lovely to hear a mostly positive reception to our match. I've always maintained that the majority of players need a run in the team to build their confidence and to integrate in to the team, hopefully Dohertys, Coadys and Savilles performance show this....of course while I try not to get too dispondent with players early form, one decent game doesn't mean they're the new messiahs, but its a start,
I can enjoy my tea and a few beers tonight, Wolves winning with a decent performance and England winning the rugger

Thought Bjorn played well. Pretty thankless task but he lead the line and was unlucky with his strike off the post.

Really happy for Saville. Always knew there was a player in there.

Coady looked like the Coady from the first few games of the season, Doherty was class going forwards and Batth & EEL looked solid. Where has that performance been for the last few months? Bring on the Boro!

P.S. Helan looked fairly shit.
Seems we watched different games.

Siggy was a waste of a shirt. How anyone can say he "lead the line well" when he didn't win a single header, got the ball caught under his feet in good positions - and has a worse touch than Dave Edwards is beyond me. Thank God Zyro is back soon.

Otherwise, I was really pleased with the performance. On paper Derby looked much stronger than us, but having players who were willing to run with the ball at their feet and attack with pace made a massive difference - which is why I also disagree with you on Helan. I referred to him as "a more attacking looking George Elokobi" in the matchday thread, but he grew in to the game as it went on and some of his one touch link up play with Doherty on the left was a joy to watch (amazing I know). Thought his deliveries improved as the game went on too, and considering he's not been in the first team picture at Sheffield Wednesday for about three months, you have to tip the cap to him.

Byrne looked much happier on his natural side. Coady, KMac and Saville (who I've been very critical of in the past) actually worked as a unit. I'm pleased for Saville because these two goals should do him the world of good and it's nice to know there's a footballer in there somewhere.

The only other thing I was disappointed with again was Ikeme. He claimed a few crosses but was no where near their goal, no thanks to Iorfa not jumping. It was nice to see a bit of fight and passion in the performance rather than rolling over, though.

I'd give my man of the match to Doherty.

Now that's a bit more like it. Of course it doesn't paper over all the cracks, there's still a lot of work to do. From a footballing point of view we didn't play a great deal of aesthetically pleasing stuff. But there was application, desire and a proper game plan. Effort and coherent tactics get you a bloody long way in this league. For once, I'm a happy man on a Saturday. Man of the match...drum roll...wait for it, wait for it...Doherty. Yeah, I know.

Epic just epic. Doherty played his best game in a wolves shirt. I give helan and coady huge credit for that. We did have far more balance. Williamson for EEL and Zyro for Ziggy would be my tweaks and Martinez in goal as he is the better keeper.

Back