• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1 Cardiff 3 -The verdict

Ikeme was really poor for the first goal, couldn't really blame him for the other two. Danny Batth was truly awful today. Again we make a very average team look better than they are. No energy going forward, no one in the box. I really hope to see some interesting transfer activity this week. Golbourne should be playing above Doherty end off, poor subs use again, and Coady is not able to play in that position. Inspiring half time team talk deployed and 45 minutes of crap suffered in second half. Very poor.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

The fact that you would be hard pressed to pick a man of the match says it all but special mention must go to Ikeme and Doherty. The first goal didn't swerve it just went straight in, according to my son and a couple of others who were in line with the shot. That encouraged Cardiff to shoot from anywhere, which they did to great effect.
We would be better putting a bus shelter at left back rather than Doherty, at least they would have more difficulty going around it. His defending is lamentable, giving players yards of space to cross the ball and ambling back like he's on a warm down.
When he actually picked the ball up second half instead of kicking it out for Graham's injury.....laughable.
McDonald was piss poor as well and needs resting.

I didn't see the game so I can make no useful comments but Tim Spiers has tweeted the following:

"Re Morgan yesterday. Surely a calculated move. Donning Wolves scarf, knowing full well he'd be photographed. Motivation, though, unclear."

Conspiracy theories at the ready! My reading is either:
1) realised he made a mistake putting the club on the market and is willing to retake the reigns
2) he has to sell wolves for reasons unknown and still has fond feelings for Wolves
3)he was cold and the scarf

I think it's a mix of 2 and 3.

Last edited:
HA..
JUst like to mix it up and try a different stand every now and again.
Anyway, i sat infront of possibly the angriest person in the ground today, thought nothing of f'in and Jeffin' every 30 seconds even
thought there was loads of kids around....utter imbecile.
Predictably and thankfully he didnt appear for the second half.

BEst moment of the match...someone singing to the the tune of "another brick in the wall"

"Hey Cardiff......leave those sheep alone!"

Yeah, sorry about that...I get awful tourettes ;)

I didn't see the game so I can make no useful comments but Tim Spiers has tweeted the following:

"Re Morgan yesterday. Surely a calculated move. Donning Wolves scarf, knowing full well he'd be photographed. Motivation, though, unclear."
I've seen a photograph this morning of Morgan signing autographs as he arrived outside the Billy Wright. I've seen professional autograph hunters in action and they are a crazy bunch, but who the fuck in their right mind would want his autograph?

If I'd have gone and picked eleven random 20 something year olds on my way to Molineux today and told them they were going to play Cardiff instead of the so called professionals that actually took to the pitch I doubt they could have done much worse! And that's without giving them positions to fill or tactics to play! Shambolic, shapeless and clueless doesn't adequately cover it!

This was an absolute mess, throughout the side. We never got the tempo up to start with, we were lacking numbers in attack- not that it mattered much with the quality of supply anyway. Jordan Graham was a frustration for me today, he consistently beat his man first time round only to turn back to do it again so he could get the ball on his right foot instead of putting it across with his left at the earliest opportunity. The midfield was lacking teeth and made worse with KMac 's distribution being uncharacteristically rushed and poor. Then there was the defe.......forget that....4 players who looked like they'd never played together before, backing off and inviting the long range efforts that beat a keeper I'm seriously beginning to question. Milk turns quicker than Danny Batth, an awful defender and even wrse captain! If that doesn't sound bad enough then there was one basic skill that Ebanks-Landell couldn't master that pissed me off more than anything else, and it cost us at least one goal. I could perhaps forgive one mistimed jump to head and clear the ball away. if it happened twice I might be able to be persuaded that was just a coincidence and bad luck but three times and more is a major worry!

Some might have seen the whole thing differently from me of course but as far as I'm concerned there were no positives at all to take out of this match. It was fkng cold to boot!!!

Morgan was in Wolverhampton for the opening of The Way of which he has championed for a while now.

I've seen a photograph this morning of Morgan signing autographs as he arrived outside the Billy Wright. I've seen professional autograph hunters in action and they are a crazy bunch, but who the fuck in their right mind would want his autograph?

I went to the old Wolves players do a few years ago and some of the guys standing outside all night in the cold to get autographs had no affiliation with Wolves and didn't even live in the area.

I think Morgan was damned either way yesterday, goes to the game what's he upto, doesn't despite being in Wolverhampton and the Scouse mafia shite comes out.

Verdict.
The strangest thing for me was watching Craig Noone operating from wide positions having the freedom to do pretty much as he pleased while the people who would shut down that space were sat next to each other on the substitutes bench. Namely Jack Price and Scott Golbourne, one prevents you playing across the line, the other prevents you going down the line.
The fact that they were not summoned into action while Noone was given space consistently spoke more about Kenny Jacketts lack of tactical thinking.

Kenny on the Cardiff defeat

Now if you weren't happy that what we were doing why didn't you change things?

There was an unused sub & whilst we have limited defensive replacements, there was Golbourne on the bench who would have defended better or Jack Price who would have given much better protection in front of them.

No point bemoaning their incompetence if you aren't prepared to take corrective action

One of the subs he did make was enforced by injury

I went to the old Wolves players do a few years ago and some of the guys standing outside all night in the cold to get autographs had no affiliation with Wolves and didn't even live in the area.
I used to stand outide the Billy Wright as a young teenager twenty years ago and collect autographs. There used to be a group of older guys then with filofaxes of things to get signed. This guy getting Morgan's autograph looked like one of the guys in that group, they are still there now every game. The paper it's written on is probably worth more than the scribble.

I know, I'm backing what you're saying by saying that as well as not using 3 subs only one of the subs he did make was tactical

OK - understood.

There were options to make tactical changes but he didn't take them so not sure why he is bemoaning the fact that we leaked goals unnecessarily after the game when there was a choice to make & he decided not to do so.

OK - understood.

There were options to make tactical changes but he didn't take them so not sure why he is bemoaning the fact that we leaked goals unnecessarily after the game when there was a choice to make & he decided not to do so.

Not sure there was much choice defensively apart from going back to 8 defenders....which while watching his interview made me worry we might go back to that

Not sure there was much choice defensively apart from going back to 8 defenders....which while watching his interview made me worry we might go back to that

It's rank amateur tactics that's hurting Jackett's team. If he's got problems in defence and you have the personnel to change those tactics you do. If the tactics aren't working you change them.

Currently his tactics are where you try and stifle play and 'funnel' opponents into positions where you can win the ball back and spring a counter attack. The problem with this is you need lightening quick players on both finks and at full back. You also rely on independent positions to be in the right place at the right time and win individual battles when isolated 1v1.

This isn't working. At all. On any level.

So why isn't he changing it? This team has largely been put together by Jackett and Thelwell do what has gone so horribly wrong? Why isn't he trying a high pressing game if tactic A isn't working? Why has he not halved the pitch or made it wider, to either squeeze the middle or the flanks. Why aren't the midfielders getting on the ball and treating possession as the best form of defence, why isn't he stretching the pitch to isolate the opposition and force longer back to front balls, especially as both CB's are pretty decent in the air as a rule?

In fact, why hasn't he tried anything else other than playing 9-1-0?

I didn't think we were that bad midfield and attack but f##kin he'll DB had a stinker nothing that could go wrong went right. Graham and vlp were irratic, greedy incapable of putting decent crosses in. Edwards did well breaking up play Doherty did some decent stuff but may be to blame for one of their goals. I would rather lose like that than watch a repeat of the previous defence displays like bha

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Back