• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-3 Liverpool: Verdict Thread

If I was certain that Sasa was fit enough to play a significant role and play significant minutes then I'd agree, but we don't know that do we?
You can't tell me he can't manage half an hour.

In fact I've seen him play half an hour, it was about six weeks ago against Rennes too, since when you'd imagine his fitness has improved.

In fact I've seen him play half an hour, it was about six weeks ago against Rennes too, since when you'd imagine his fitness has improved.
I don't know what's going on there, and agree it seems odd. But given the seriousness of his injury, the way he's been used so far and that he didn't go on duty with Austria I'm willing to give GON the benefit of the doubt regarding him.

Anyone seriously want to argue that José Sa isn't a massive, massive problem? He's a complete airhead and add today to the extensive back catalogue of goals that are at least mostly his fault. Problem is I'm not sure Bentley is capable of playing for three and a bit months until we can sign someone else.

Positives:

- The first half was genuinely excellent, energy all over the park and we were all over them. Should have been minimum 2, probably 3 up

- Neto against Gomez. Like a bloodsport at times. Shame we couldn't get the ball to him second half

- Joao Gomes was excellent throughout

- Semedo and Ait-Nouri had good first halves

- Bellegarde looks like he has a lot of ability and there's plenty there to work with

- Hwang didn't do much...but got another goal. Always handy

- Someone finally told the mouthy twat at the back of the NB (miles behind me, but everyone can hear his stupid voice that sounds like he's being strangled) to shut the fuck up

Negatives:

- As noted, Sa. He will cost you time and time again. Unsustainable

- Kilman had a reasonable game for the most part...but the same failings will always exist. Doesn't command situations and he's bang in trouble with any ball played outside him

- We looked immediately more vulnerable when Bueno came on

- Doherty. Don't put him there again. I mean he has no business playing Premier League football at all in 2023 but him lumbering around like a winger in an 80s pub team is laughable

- Fabio. Waste of time. Still too weak for us to play the ball up to him, no threat in behind, doesn't try, continually having a strop. Terrible

- For all our good play in this game (and in parts of the others) we now are in a situation where we pretty much HAVE to win next week. In mid-September. That's not healthy

- For the second time in a row, O'Neil tried to play out a 1-1 draw. We didn't get it. We can't sit off like that, we will concede

We don't look a lost cause but we have issues we can't fix quickly and we aren't pulling ourselves away from the danger zone any time soon given our home fixtures. So buckle up.
A fair summary but a bit harsh on Fabio. He was very isolated and if Neto had played a better ball he could have been clean through for his customary one-on-one.

I don't know what's going on there, and agree it seems odd. But given the seriousness of his injury, the way he's been used so far and that he didn't go on duty with Austria I'm willing to give GON the benefit of the doubt regarding him.
If he stood stock still 20 yards inside the Liverpool half then he would have been more use than Fabio as I imagine he'd have won at least one header or held the ball up at least once.

PK has successfully stirred up a few of you hasn't he.

What exactly is your point? What are you arguing with?

I didn't expect us to win today, did you? I didn't even expect us to give them a game after our performance against Palace, so I was pleasantly surprised with that first half performance. Had we got in at HT at 2-0 we may well have got a win, but as soon as they started to bring on fresh, excellent players and we started to tire, the result looked inevitable - as ultimately they have better players.

I'm genuinely fascinated at how the above could be percieved as smug or controversial, but you know PK gotta PK.

Think you're wildly overestimating any influence I have over anyone just a tad mate 😅

I don't meekly accept us losing any home game. It's fine being pleased with the first half, we all were, and GON and the players get the credit for that, but the second half undid it to a large degree.

We beat them in the same fixture 3-0 last year, so it's hardly the foregone conclusion it's being made out to be.

At half time we were definitely in a position to pick up points from the game, but you could have predicted we wouldn't, and that's not based on who we, or they, have on the pitch

It’s worrying either way. Either he’s had a slight complication (but then why is he on the bench?) or GON can’t see he’d be significantly more effective for 30 mins than an appalling Fabio. All a bit odd.

Hwang wasn’t running anymore and Robertson had the freedom of the park, so a change had to be made there. Sarabia the only alternative and he definitely is not what I would want out there.

Cunha likely a pre arranged sub after a international duty (much like Hwang). Fabio was attrocious. Should have be Sasa. Not sure why it wasn’t.

The others were just regulation changes for players who were asking to come off. I’m not really sure there was much to be done different. Low block was our only answer. We just had no ability to keep the ball up top or counter from it because Fabio was garbage.

We didn’t

The rest of the press conference is largely spot on but it is a very odd comment. Just said that the players go off and do their own thing and that creates chaos with the opposition because the rest of the team aren't expecting it. He's clearly talking about Sa's goal kick but still.

GON statement about not being judged on games v Liverpool is very much a statement that you can get away with at Bournemouth but not here. You absolutely can’t make the statement after not getting points at Palace where you’ll be a 100% judged.
If you’re writing fixtures off where do you stop with it? People now on here shrugging shoulders at Palace two weeks ago. Where do we get our points then?

GON statement about not being judged on games v Liverpool is very much a statement that you can get away with at Bournemouth but not here. You absolutely can’t make the statement after not getting points at Palace where you’ll be a 100% judged.
If you’re writing fixtures off where do you stop with it? People now on here shrugging shoulders at Palace two weeks ago. Where do we get our points then?
Can't judge him against Liverpool when his predecessor gubbed them 3-0 in the same fixture last season.

Fucking Charlatan.

Yeah. Not sure what he meant but it hasn't come across well. You can't go "oh well, it's Liverpool" as that won't instil confidence in your squad either who will then start writing these games off.

Kilman switched off on two goals, he is so frustrating to watch especially when I'm watching with fans of other teams who keep telling me he is really good!

We started excellently and the intensity was good but O'Neil's flaws on full display second-half. Had no idea how to react to Klopp's changes and the subs were dreadful.

Surely we could have played with an actual striker, or brought one on? Have to be more clinical.

Yeah. Not sure what he meant but it hasn't come across well. You can't go "oh well, it's Liverpool" as that won't instil confidence in your squad either who will then start writing these games off.
Especially when Man City are your next home game, feels very much like a “I’m doing my best” statement

Especially when Man City are your next home game, feels very much like a “I’m doing my best” statement

Followed by Aston Villa, Newcastle, and Spurs.

Not sure where the home points are going to come from and that form very much kept us up last year.

Well none of those 3 teams are as good as Liverpool so we have every chance of getting points

Well none of those 3 teams are as good as Liverpool so we have every chance of getting points
You’re right that they’re worse than Liverpool but all 3 are evidently better than us and by a distance. Not sure a good effort v Liverpool translates to points v those 3.

For all the plaudits of the first half…we had 2 shots on target in the whole game and for the life of me I can’t remember the second.

Back