• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-2 Liverpool: Verdict Thread

The Bear

Euro 2012 PTG Champion
Staff member
Reaction score

Another similar story unfortunately. Be the better team, make nothing of it, concede, then struggle badly. We did well to get back on level terms, but then shot ourselves in the foot instantly and ruined it.

We did ok late on and Forbs showed why he should be starting ahead of Bellegarde, but ultimately we couldn't find a way to press them back and try to score a winner. It all petered out to a tame finish and it's another loss on the board.

The next 3 games are absolutely huge. We need 5-6 points or we'll be in danger of getting cut adrift with zero confidence by the time Christmas rolls around.

Last edited:
There are economic textbooks out there about the theory of managed decline. I'll give you a shortcut. Watch our home game vs Liverpool in 2020 and our home game vs Liverpool in 2024.

We lost them both 2-1. But it's night and day. Squad, approach, dugout, the lot.

We weren't even bad today. We played some good stuff. But we don't make anything of a slow start from high profile oppositon. Then we can't defend a basic cross, and the keeper makes a rick. We get handed a gift of a goal then immediately hand one back (off an experienced player who should know better). We then don't have any answers.

We absolutely stink of relegation. It's West Ham 2002/03 or Leicester 2022/23 all over again. Where you look at 4-5 seriously good players and think "how the fuck did they go down"? Well because they weren't organised, they kept no clean sheets, they never learned, they never changed and eventually it was too late.

Gary Neville talks of our lack of atmosphere, that's because the club has alientated thousands of people who've been going for decades. For no reason as well. There's no heart there, there's no soul. Did I miss going today, no I didn't, not really. And if you're losing me, you're losing all but the most deluded and deranged.

We have issues literally everywhere and there is no easy fix. So you reap what you sow, Jeff Shi. You're a cunt and you caused this.

Last edited:
All according to plan…

Managed decline is supposed to minimise the impacts and the loss, we ain't doing that!

A much better performance than we expected I think I can say. We had our moments but always it felt like Liverpool could raise their level a bit more. Utter stupidity to give a pen away in that fashion and that ultimately cost us the game. At least there was some fight in that game and a desire. We have something.

Too many in here thinking that was a good gutsy effort so let’s get on board the ‘needs more time train’.

Remember when we lost 2-1 to a Liverpool side in a way that was something to be proud about.

Too many in here thinking that was a good gutsy effort so let’s get on board the ‘needs more time train’.

Remember when we lost 2-1 to a Liverpool side in a way that was something to be proud about.
Well, we didn't roll over a la second half v Chelsea. There was effort, there was opportunity and there was a team that is significantly better than us.

I hate the club, I hate the manager, and I hate quite a few of our players. Yet I still keep tuning in to watch and get annoyed by events on the pitch. What the fuck is wrong with me!?

I hate the club, I hate the manager, and I hate quite a few of our players. Yet I still keep tuning in to watch and get annoyed by events on the pitch. What the fuck is wrong with me!?
I often say that I sensed a particular magic around the club when Hunt scored the season-saver against Blackburn.

It’s completely gone now. You could scarcely guess it was ever there if you didn’t already know.

Even in the back-to-back relegations there was still something there. Maybe just the sheer force of Sako’s happy-go-lucky personality and ridiculous ability in the face of all the trash.

The anger is different now; it’s loaded with resignation.

You don't hate the club. You hate the club's direction at the present moment. Part of being a Wolves fan. We've dealt with worse. Far worse. Go enjoy your evening.

You don't hate the club. You hate the club's direction at the present moment. Part of being a Wolves fan. We've dealt with worse. Far worse. Go enjoy your evening.
That cannot be the answer forever. "Remember when".

We're doing this out of choice, there is no reason whatsoever why Wolverhampton Wanderers should have this squad, this manager and this approach to transfer activity and squad building.

Some decent build-up play but virtually zero attacking threat. 0.08 xG for the 2nd half is pathetic, and I lost count of the number of times we gave the ball away. The only positive I can take is that it was less of a mauling than expected, but that was in good part because Liverpool were well below par, but even that probably only guarantees a few more plucky defeats under GON. At least Doc stayed on the bench.

Back