• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-2 Liverpool: Verdict Thread

This is no kind of argument.

"We cannot defend, we continually concede 2+ goals a game and we struggle to recover if we do go behind, which we always do"

"Yes but remember Simon Coleman at the Manor Ground in 1997"

What the FUCK kind of argument is that? WE KEEP LOSING ALL THE TIME, HOW CAN YOU NOT SEE THIS.

Sorry for the caps but for fuck's sake.
Nothing either you or I can do about it. Same as why the fuck Bellegarde, Doc, Hwang etc get a look in. This is what we have and we have a coach who believes in them. For now. But reality has to dawn. In our next 6 games we have Man City as the only team we can't really get something out of and even that game is at home.

The team of 2023 that lost to Liverpool is no different to this team that lost to Liverpool. We lost. So what really is the relevance of looking back to that previous team?

I watched 7 games this afternoon, saw worse tackles in the box than Semedo, none given.

A prick from the Wirrel gives it. Not one pen has been given for that this season, and due to my job I have not missed a prem Game this season.

Thought we did well, well deserved a Point

Another similar story unfortunately. Be the better team, make nothing of it, concede, then struggle badly.
At no point were we the better team! We put in a bit of effort but Liverpool had plenty in reserve.

We are simply dreadful, this team is going down. You can't constantly concede so many goals and put it down to bad luck.

Inwatched 7 games this afternoon, saw worse tackles in the box than Semedo, none given.

A prick from the Wirrel gives it. Not one pen has been given for that this season, and due to my job I have not missed a prem Game this season.

Thought we did well, well deserved a Point
I've also seen similar challenges to the one Semedo made not given and I rather doubt we would have got it if it was against us. But this is Liverpool and there is a bias. No question.

The team of 2023 that lost to Liverpool is no different to this team that lost to Liverpool. We lost. So what really is the relevance of looking back to that previous team?
Sorry, what?

I used that as an example of why we shouldn't go "ah, it's ok, it was bound to happen" when we lose a home game. Because they are beatable, they were today. You seem to think it IS ok. It really isn't. Not when you're bottom of the league before you even kick off. Not when you haven't won for months.

As for "we can't do anything about it", well close the fucking forum then. What's the point because Gary O'Neil, Matt Hobbs and Jeff Shi will do what they want and we can't change it. What an amazing mindset.

I doubt he'd be so gracious if he'd just dropped points:

Liverpool boss Arne Slot told MOTD: "No it wasn’t good, also in the final minutes of the game. The bits in between, I thought we did really well. You also have to give credit to the gameplan of Gary O’Neil. Although it sounds weird, he’s done really well over the last six games.

"He has a really good game plan for every opponent and he it was the same for us today. After the first 15/20 minutes we took more control over the game and we scored the goal as well."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wolves boss Gary O'Neil, speaking to Sky Sports: "The lads gave everything and we had a right go. We lost control and went off the game-plan when we scored - caught in the emotion of equalising and we got badly punished.

"It's another game against tough opposition where we were us - we gave the best version of ourselves.

"Gutted for the lads as they deserved something over the last few weeks against tough opposition, but there's loads of stuff I love.

"You don't want to keep it frantic and open against Liverpool.

"We got carried away and opened the game up too much, but apart from that there were loads of good bits.

"We could have been more intelligent with the ball, we made some mad decision when we were chasing the game.

"Tough to take which nobody wants, but if we keep pushing and scrapping and giving everything like we are we are going to cause some teams problems this year.

"Everyone inside the changing room is giving everything and doing the best they can. That will always be the case we lost two centre-backs last week - one for a whole season.

"Toti [Gomes] has rushed back a week early."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wolves manager Gary O'Neil speaking to BBC Radio 5 Live: "Really positive performance from the players. You can see by the reaction of the fans at the end. It was a big effort and a lot of positives against a top side. Disappointed we went off-plan for a second and opened the game up and got punished. Apart from that, I thought the lads were excellent. There were some decisions we made that were not ideal and not patient enough.

"In terms of a group giving everything and fighting one of the biggest clubs in world football, big performance.

"I have seen a lot in the first six games that I am confident. We have Brentford away who are really tough. But we are fighting against some of the big hitters at this moment and lost two centre-backs this week. We are fighting, we are scrapping and giving absolutely everything."

At no point were we the better team! We put in a bit of effort but Liverpool had plenty in reserve.

We are simply dreadful, this team is going down. You can't constantly concede so many goals and put it down to bad luck.
Are you saying we were dreadful because we lost? Seems to me that you are.
We were actually very good at points in the first half and you could certainly make the argument we were the better team then.
Further, we weren't so dreadful that we managed to get back on terms, only for a moment of stupidity to cost us.

Of course we were. The first 25 mins Liverpool were awful and we ran rings around them......

Until the final third when we became a bit useless. We should have scored whilst on top but didn't create enough.

Are you saying we were dreadful because we lost? Seems to me that you are.
We were actually very good at points in the first half and you could certainly make the argument we were the better team then.
Further, we weren't so dreadful that we managed to get back on terms, only for a moment of stupidity to cost us.
No, I'm saying we were dreadful because we conceded two goals, barely created any chances and mostly passed the ball sideways.

The safety first passing makes us look OK in the possession stats but we rarely play a pass that takes an opposition player out of the game.

Are you saying we weren't dreadful because we lost?

Of course we were. The first 25 mins Liverpool were awful and we ran rings around them......

Until the final third when we became a bit useless. We should have scored whilst on top but didn't create enough.
We didn't create anything.

We played alright but Alisson had nothing to do.

I hate the club, I hate the manager, and I hate quite a few of our players. Yet I still keep tuning in to watch and get annoyed by events on the pitch. What the fuck is wrong with me!?
It is in the blood. I hate what football has become but still I get drawn in.

We didn't create anything.

We played alright but Alisson had nothing to do.
Agreed, he had two simple saves, from Bellegarde's scuffed shot and Cunha's low curler.

I've also seen similar challenges to the one Semedo made not given and I rather doubt we would have got it if it was against us. But this is Liverpool and there is a bias. No question.
We all said that even Villa fans, on Cunha no Pen

Back