• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-2 Liverpool: Verdict Thread

Yeah, I get your challenge and I'm not really sure what your evidence is tbh.

Poor xG, 3 shots on target (2 were very soft and 1 was the goal), few corners and worse possession stats. Plus a failure on the "eye test". Chuck in the mistakes and it paints a really poor picture of the game.

We never looked like a team that would get a result, Liverpool were able to play with plenty in reserve for most of the game.
My evidence is simply that we put in a decent first half on the eye test, we got it back to 1-1 and then a moment of stupidity cost us the game. Had we used the ball better in the closing moments, who knows. I honestly don't think the performance was dreadful and when we equalised, I certainly thought we could get a point if not all 3. Respect your opinion though.

What's the evidence for that?

We were poorer on possession, xG, corners, shots, shots on target and crosses.

We did draw on volumes of throw in, so there is that.
I used my eyes rather than relied on stats. And we had plenty more possession than them in that first 20 mins.

Whilst we were much the better team in possession, I also said we were useless in the final third.

Are you saying that's never going to change no matter what opposition we face?

We might lose more than we win but so will every other team at the bottom of the table. We just need to win one more than them as it stands. All I'm saying is I'm not giving up on the situation just yet this early in the season. Things change, performances can improve, confidence can come back, We just need some points by hook or by crook. That's more likely to happen against weaker opposition is all I'm saying. If it doesn't then he'll rightfully be sacked.
And, there are still other teams who haven't won this season.

My evidence is simply that we put in a decent first half on the eye test, we got it back to 1-1 and then a moment of stupidity cost us the game. Had we used the ball better in the closing moments, who knows. I honestly don't think the performance was dreadful and when we equalised, I certainly thought we could get a point if not all 3. Respect your opinion though.

Some points here that are huge problems not micro one that cant be easily ironed out.“Use the ball better” we have a huge problem in retaining possession and being effective and has been since about March. Poor game management is a common theme with is to a point goal scoring seems pointless as it’ll just delay the inevitable.

I used my eyes rather than relied on stats. And we had plenty more possession than them in that first 20 mins.

Whilst we were much the better team in possession, I also said we were useless in the final third.
Well, given I also used my eyes we will have to disagree. Passing is supposed to draw the opposition out of their structure, and moving the ball sideways before hoofing or losing the ball is not effective.

Also, Sam Johnstone and his distribution is properly grim at times. His short game is none existent (but he did play a couple of good long balls).

Last edited:
And, there are still other teams who haven't won this season.

With respect, it’s this “plucky loser” shit which is massively contributing to what’s going on with us - we’’re going into games expecting to lose and being gaslit into believing we’re always the underdog.

Villa were shit last week and Liverpool were largely crap today. We lost both games. A decent team with a decent manager would have beaten both those sides.

Just like we would have done a few seasons ago.

All this “illness in the camp” losing our “best centre halves” is all playing into some bullshit narrative that we’re hard done by.

We’re losing games because GON is not capable of getting a tune out this squad, and we are short of depth because our owners are cunts and are scouting team were not capable of doing their jobs.

We are sleepwalking into relegation while GON insists to us that the players are “giving absolutely everything “.

It’s all bullshit. And we’re fucking being mugged off.

I was interested in Gary Neville’s comment that we seem unable to change our ideas at any point, but just keep on doing the same things, even when they are clearly not working.
If that’s true the coaching team need to sort it out.
Obviously this season is just about survival.
I recall Mick McCarthy saying more than once, when asked about our chances, that where we are in the table at any stage isn’t important.
What matters is that when the final whistle goes on the last game of the season, there are at least three teams below us.
There are still 32 games to go until that happens, and some poor teams down there.

With respect, it’s this “plucky loser” shit which is massively contributing to what’s going on with us - we’’re going into games expecting to lose and being gaslit into believing we’re always the underdog.

Villa were shit last week and Liverpool were largely crap today. We lost both games. A decent team with a decent manager would have beaten both those sides.

Just like we would have done a few seasons ago.

All this “illness in the camp” losing our “best centre halves” is all playing into some bullshit narrative that we’re hard done by.

We’re losing games because GON is not capable of getting a tune out this squad, and we are short of depth because our owners are cunts and are scouting team were not capable of doing their jobs.

We are sleepwalking into relegation while GON insists to us that the players are “giving absolutely everything “.

It’s all bullshit. And we’re fucking being mugged off.
Disagree.
I don't think the players are going in with that mentality. I do think they are being set up wrong and that the wrong players are playing most of the time. EG. Bellegarde on the left mystifies me.

I do agree with everyone mentioning our defence as the problem and we seem to have great difficulty dealing with the threat from out wide. Andre seems to have made a big difference through the middle but not stopping crosses and then defending like Doc and Semedo have done over recent games have cost us points at home.

I was interested in Gary Neville’s comment that we seem unable to change our ideas at any point, but just keep on doing the same things, even when they are clearly not working.
If that’s true the coaching team need to sort it out.
Obviously this season is just about survival.
I recall Mick McCarthy saying more than once, when asked about our chances, that where we are in the table at any stage isn’t important.
What matters is that when the final whistle goes on the last game of the season, there are at least three teams below us.
There are still 32 games to go until that happens, and some poor teams down there.
There’s nobody “down” relative to us in the table atm.

Just a different mindset to you. That's all. I just don't think it's all doom and gloom.
LDLDLLWLLLLLDLLL

Goals conceded in that run: 2, 1, 2, 2, 2, 1, 1, 5, 3, 2, 2, 6, 1, 2, 3, 2.

Last clean sheet: 25 February (seven months ago, against a team who were basically down by October)

I mean, you need an odd mindset to not paint that as doom and gloom.

Error strewn mess of a performance, constantly pissing around at the back and getting ourselves into trouble. Even when gifted opportunities by oposition errors we don't have enough about us.

Shits subs again (apart from Forbs for Bellegarde, he looked decent) especially taking off JSL who did well in the build-up to the equaliser for 'Channy' who did fuck all while the likes of Rodrigo Gomes (remember him?), Sarabia and Guedes sit on the bench.

Johnstone made some good saves but is car crash in the playing out from the back at times.

I am seriously worried about us now, where are the wins coming from when we keep shipping goals? This bloke is taking us down. The body language of the players at full time stinks of defeatism, low morale, relegation. They need a proper Premier League ready leader to get them out of this shit not O'Neil. Not fucking good enough, I'm not sure he ever will be but let him find out elsewhere

I personally think 16/17 teams in the league probably get at least a point tonight considering how average Liverpool were.
Frankly most would’ve not have been so blatantly nieve after getting level and have a coach who would managed things properly.

Back