• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0 v 1 Leeds: The Verdict Thread

Wow. I really have to question your understanding of our squad here.

Do you have to be such a dick? That's a perfectly reasonable opinion to have, it's not like he's suggesting we play 3-4-3 or something.

I said on here after the Villa game that I didn't think we were half as good as people were making out and I don't think we were half as bad yesterday as the pant wetters would have you believe. The booing at the end of the game was embarrassing.

I thought it was a big mistake going 4-4-2, we've clearly been given a brief to pass the ball out from the back but Edwards (who had a good game individually) wasn't offering a short option which meant Saiss had to try and distribute play on his own. It inevitably lead to the ball being played straight back to Batth & Hause who are always going to hoof/misplace a pass if you give them enough opportunities. Ikeme is another who struggles to distribute the ball short. He's not fast enough with the ball in his hands. He just dawdles, lets the opposition get back into place and then ends up hoofing.

Leeds were an organised unit who could pass the ball relatively well under pressure and had a solid back 4. Bog standard Championship team really. We have 3 attacking midfielders who can breeze past players af if they aren't there and two strikers who can give any centre half partnership in this league a tough game. It shouldn't be hard to work out a system behind those players to give them the best opportunity to pick apart teams like Leeds. Unfortunately Zenga hasn't managed that yet which leads me to believe that he just isn't good enough unfortunately.

P.s. Matt Doherty is shite.

P.s. Matt Doherty is shite.

Actually, fuck that. I'll not hold back.

Matt Doherty is a useless fucking shitehawk who has no business being part of a back 4 at this level. He's a gormless, one paced carthorse with the heart of a pea. Couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper bag. I hope the heartless coward fractures his pelvis next time he farts. Might improve his mobility.

I said on here after the Villa game that I didn't think we were half as good as people were making out and I don't think we were half as bad yesterday as the pant wetters would have you believe. The booing at the end of the game was embarrassing.

This exactly............ I'd much rather watch this season than last

Actually, $#@! that. I'll not hold back.

Matt Doherty is a useless $#@!ing $#@!ehawk who has no business being part of a back 4 at this level. He's a gormless, one paced carthorse with the heart of a pea. Couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper bag. I hope the heartless coward fractures his pelvis next time he farts. Might improve his mobility.

and you call me a dick? Wow.

Ok pack it in you two. (I saw your post pre-edit Lycan). The thread will be closed and you two will be reported if you can't reign it in. We already banned Johnny75 this week for similar, so don't make us add to the tally.

Bit disappointed that he changed to a 4-4-2. I know he is trying to fit Bod and Dicko in but Edwards, though it sounds as if he played fairly well, isn't suited to that formation and Saiss himself is still probably not fully match fit. Equally, we don't have the wide players suited to it, they need to be higher up the pitch. It's a waste of Teixeira and Costa's talents if they are forced back down the pitch to do more defending than they usually need to.

I'd be tempted to go with a more solid looking 4-2-3-1. Saiss next to another holding player, with Texieira in front. Costa and Cav wide behind Dicko/Bod who can share what is a demanding role.

Not sure what has happened to Borthwick-Jackson, who in his first two appearances was apparently one of our best players. Him and Silvio/Iorfa at full back would make us a lot stronger I think.

Well, that was shit. I'm actually fairly sure that zenga wanted to play a 433 there, but dicko and bod weren't interested in it, which forced an accidental 442, bordering on 424. There was no shape to the attacking at all. Not in a sexy fluid way, in a no cunt knows their role way. Text is a real talent and would be a great ten in a proper 4231 formation. Also really disappointed with how Silvio and Costa could have combined nicely but only seemed to try a couple of times.

First time seeing bod and tbh he looked like a fucking carthorse. Showed no awareness and anticipation at all, and a dreadful touch, looked like a tired, injured Doyle.

Doherty, my word. Caught under the ball by a diagonal three times first half, and that was the ball that he fucked up for the goal. He made three mistakes on that goal, one positional, one not deciding what to do once he'd figured the flight, and then obviously the touch went when he'd decided not to just put it out for a throw.

After the goal we didn't look like scoring at all until an overhit cross in injury time fell to Costa who twatted it over.

The sad thing is we've got some really technically gifted players in caviliero, tex and Costa, but they're not able to get close enough to each other to gel.

Really disappointing, and it's not dragging me back any time soon tbh. Zenga is an idiot.

Bit disappointed that he changed to a 4-4-2. I know he is trying to fit Bod and Dicko in but Edwards, though it sounds as if he played fairly well, isn't suited to that formation and Saiss himself is still probably not fully match fit. Equally, we don't have the wide players suited to it, they need to be higher up the pitch. It's a waste of Teixeira and Costa's talents if they are forced back down the pitch to do more defending than they usually need to.

I'd be tempted to go with a more solid looking 4-2-3-1. Saiss next to another holding player, with Texieira in front. Costa and Cav wide behind Dicko/Bod who can share what is a demanding role.

Not sure what has happened to Borthwick-Jackson, who in his first two appearances was apparently one of our best players. Him and Silvio/Iorfa at full back would make us a lot stronger I think.

It really didn't work and like you say it's because our players aren't suited to it. Costa and Teixeira didn't really come back a lot but we just struggled to get them any meaningful service as they were isolated with no support from central midfield and Bod and Dicko both having shockers.

I wouldn't mind us going 4-2-3-1, it would definitely allow us to get the best out of our better players like Costa and Teixeira. We could always change it slightly and play Prince as the midfielder further forward in a different role than Teix would play but effective in his own way.

I have no idea how Doherty is in the team if CBJ is fit, there were so many things he did wrong yesterday. He didn't mark, he didn't track runners, he was out of position constantly, he passed the ball out of play a few times because he isn't left footed and was trying to use his right and then obviously he did what he did for the goal.

Actually, fuck that. I'll not hold back.

Matt Doherty is a useless fucking shitehawk who has no business being part of a back 4 at this level. He's a gormless, one paced carthorse with the heart of a pea. Couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper bag. I hope the heartless coward fractures his pelvis next time he farts. Might improve his mobility.

Would you pick him next week?

Would you pick him next week?

Ha! No.

Depends on whether Iorfa/CBJ are fit though I suppose, I'd have either of them in over him. Would be tempted to play Coady at RB and Silvio at LB if they aren't.

Ok pack it in you two. (I saw your post pre-edit Lycan). The thread will be closed and you two will be reported if you can't reign it in. We already banned Johnny75 this week for similar, so don't make us add to the tally.

Ok but why have I been highlighted? I disagreed with someone's suggestion that 442 suits our squad, which it blatantly doesn't as others have highlighted too. Then I'm called a dick. And then I object to somebody posting about wanting a player of our own to break his pelvis, without becoming personal. Ridiculous.

Ok but why have I been highlighted? I disagreed with someone's suggestion that 442 suits our squad, which it blatantly doesn't as others have highlighted too. Then I'm called a dick. And then I object to somebody posting about wanting a player of our own to break his pelvis, without becoming personal. Ridiculous.

It was a joke you plum. I'm hardly sat here sticking needles into a Matt Doherty voodoo doll am I?

Keep your insults to yourself mate. Not sure why you are at aiming abuse at me, bit pathetic.

He said to pack it in. Stop being so precious and pack it the fuck in. If you've got a problem PM me.

Was at the game. Formation wise, it didn't look like a 4-4-2 most of the time to me, it looked like a 4-2-3-1 with Bod in the "10".

Leeds lived up to their "dirty" tag, cutting down as many runs at them from the wings as possible - Tex made some incursions which tore them apart, but when crosses came in, those who should have been in the centre just weren't in the "right" place - no understanding shown between the wings of the team and the intended recipients, basically. Lost count of the number of overhit crosses when most of the players in the centre had come to the front post.

Dicko is so slow at the moment - he just hasn't got his pace back, as yet. Will he ever do so? We can but hope, but as mentioned earlier, that's the conundrum. He needs game time, BUT... in this new anticipated shotgun era at Wolves, undoubtedly there will be a new striker shipped in on 1 January.

I regret I am so biased against Edwards now that I still don't believe that his positives outweigh his negatives. Lordy, am I actually thinking he's a "luxury" which actually is "bargain basement"?

There are players from the previous Jackett regime who are undoubtedly giving the impression of playing way above their levels of competence, and have been getting plaudits for such. Edwards falls into that category. And undoubtedly on today's showing Doherty too. A right-back playing left back. Yes, players can suddenly start to be seen as the first choice in a position which is new to them. Stephen Ward was a past example who, most of the time to my eyes was never going to be good enough for left back, and yet the Republic of Ireland and now Burnley seemed to see something in that being where he should play.

Coady is another who looks like he flatters to deceive, despite also giving a few good performances, but in all those examples these tend to be times when the whole team is playing well?

And considering our current coach was, in his time, one of the best keepers in the world, how come Ikeme really doesn't look like he's getting the benefit of working with someone who is likely to benefit someone in his position in the 11 more than anyone else? How many games has Ikeme had so little to do, but when it comes to him playing his part he fluffs his lines?

Earlier on in this thread, many considered that Walter is now on borrowed time. The sum of all our fears when he was originally appointed seem to be adding up to a big problem. There is still time to hit his first target of Top Ten by Christmas, but time is running out. Maybe he will be given until it is mathematically impossible to achieve this before he gets the bullet?

I don't think the new owners are going to be worried by reputations in terms of who they appoint next. Results are what they will go by. And strangely, Football Manager computer games gave a portent of what happens next in the latest game I played. I got Wolves into the Premiership, and was playing well enough there. Then new owners. And I was sacked. Who did the computer bring in to replace me? Sam Allardyce!

This was in a universe where Big Sam never got the England job, admittedly. Interesting development, nevertheless - fiction pointing to fact?

I think the next coach/manager/whatever will follow the Brian Clough attitude of getting in a new spine to the team: Goalkeeper - Centre Half - Striker.

Do we need more than that? As many have said, we should have enough talent around such a new and robust trio of signings to absolutely tear this league apart. The scouts will have had four months to identify the targets for these positions, maybe one or two more buys on top. What I saw yesterday was frustrating in that, unlike last year, you could see that it was oh-so-close to working, but the end product just didn't click and one big mistake was enough to punish us.

Also what is different is that I CAN see us getting it right, and getting into the play-off spots. But it all depends on personnel decisions going our way, as well as luck. And match officials actually doing their jobs at the highest level.

He said to pack it in. Stop being so precious and pack it the $#@! in. If you've got a problem PM me.

You've been the one responding to me, I don't think I have the problem. Maybe keep your own mouth shut before telling others to.

Back