• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0 v 1 Leeds: The Verdict Thread

Another Saturday afternoon I've left Molineux throughly pissed off. Something has to give it's just not good enough....yet again.

I'm not really bothered if Zenga goes was a strange appointment in the first place. Doherty and Hause can go too for all I care. Not investing in a decent CB costing us now, Leeds defence was organised strong and everything ours wasn't.

Ive not been Hause biggest fan, but he's actually Been ok since he's come back in. Horribly lax in possession though and just clumsy with the ball at his feet.

Ive not been Hause biggest fan, but he's actually Been ok since he's come back in. Horribly lax in possession though and just clumsy with the ball at his feet.

For me the defence only started playing like startled deer after the goal.
Couldnt see Leeds scoring unless it was our fuck up.

For me the defence only started playing like startled deer after the goal.
Couldnt see Leeds scoring unless it was our fuck up.

For sure. My mate said at half time it will be 0-0. I said one of the teams will make a mistake as we are both rubbish. Neither team was going to unlock the other, although wood had a few decent strikes.

our defence and goalies are killing us, why doesnt anybody in charge address it?

I'm afraid even allowing for the coaches inability to coach our defence, its mainly down to individual errors and we can't do shit till January. Maybe if Zenga gets the bullet, Rob Edwards could instil some defensive co-ordination. But I still think we ain't scoring anywhere near enough.

I really don't know where to start. May as well start with pointing out that we weren't very good yet should have won. No idea what was going on in Zenga's mind today with the formation and there were still no tactics at all. We were just hoping that Costa and Teixeira were going to come up with something and they did but their end product wasn't good enough.

The referee was awful again, he got so many decisions wrong but they were for both teams. We have had some bad ones who have given everything against us but he just didn't have a clue.

Ratings for our players;

Ikeme - Couldn't do a lot about the goal, still has lead in his boots but did make a great save in the first half that he tipped on to the bar which was strangely given as a goal kick.

Silvio - I thought he was solid at right back, looked composed but was sloppy in possession a few times after defending well.

Batth - Bullied by Wood a little but not especially troubled. I thought he caught his man with a sliding tackle in the second half and a penalty should have been given but haven't seen it again. Still not great in possession.

Hause - I thought he did well in the first, one of our best attacks came through him coming out from the back but second half he looked like he had never seen the ball before with error after error. He still defended pretty well though.

Doherty - May as well played without a left back, he was never at it and should have been taken off at half time, only problem was there wasn't anyone to really replace him because when he was replaced Coady at right back should not happen. His mistake for the goal is unforgivable, no idea what he was doing.

Saiss - Good at what he does, still looks a class above but there was so much space around him it was unreal.

Edwards - Work off the ball was different grade, pinched the ball so many times but still not quick enough or good enough with the ball.

Costa - He's such a threat but his end product isn't always there, should have got us a point right at the end but blazed over. Had 2 shots that skimmed the roof of the net which would have dipped in on another day. Still gets kicked off the park too with no protection from the referees.

Teixeira - Best player for me, he looks like creating so much but either he or someone else then wastes it. Should have scored and Dicko should have scored from his bit of skill but both were wasteful.

Bodvarsson - I think we put Gladon on in Bod's shirt. He was probably along with Doherty the worst player and by a long way. His touch was off completely, his second touch was him trying to win it back off the Leeds player he had controlled it too. Didn't look fit if i'm honest and spent most of the first half on the floor although he was caught quite hard twice, somehow played all game.

Dicko - Still well of the pace but better than Bod. Had he been on it would have scored twice, one from a Leeds back pass that he wasn't quick enough to react to and then once from a Teixeira pass that he took one touch too many

SUBS

Cavaleiro - Doesn't seem like he's played left wing a lot and he's not as quick as Costa but he is a threat in his own way. We have to find a way for him to play because he definitely has the quality but can't keep being asked to do it from the bench when we are struggling.

Coady - Nutmegged within a minute of coming on and looked all at sea, looked like he could play right back if needed earlier in the season but not on this showing.

John - Was only on in spirit for the first 10 minutes he was on as he didn't do anything at all but in the last 5 minutes played a great pass inside the full back to Cavaleiro and then his cross set up Costa for the chance at the end.

I like Zenga and he talks a great game and he's very likable all round but he just doesn't have it. Tactically non existent and blatantly obvious players don't understand this system or the one we have been playing. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes and pretty quickly because i don't think he can turn it around, when we have played well we have looked really good but there are too many halves or games when we look poor and players lack the understanding of what is expected of them. Leeds were worse than us but the fact that they knew what system they were playing and have a style helps them and that's why some of the clubs that are above us who we have beaten are there. You don't have to be great in this league if you know what you're doing, the problem is our players are better than most of the other teams and with better management would be right up there imo.

Probably should say Zenga can't do a lot about individual errors but those errors wouldn't be so costly if we were bossing games like we should and we would then see less errors.

I put this on the Manager thread 10 days ago....

Bruce will get Villa into the play offs this season. Like Mick and Colin he's a good Championship manager that doesn't over complicate the way you need to play in this league and although their defence is suspect their attacking options are as good as anything anyone else has.

Since then Bruce and Colin have both got 7 points from 3 games. If you are a competent Championship manager who knows how to set the side up in this league with a reasonable squad it really ain't difficult. Ours should finish somewhere between 5th and 10th we won't under Zenga.

Text from a mate of mine who is a ST holder after I asked him what his take on it was:
Mixture of Portuguese ***** and very ordinary championship players, no hope I'm afraid. Zenga not doing anything particularly wrong , just no ammunition.
I trust his judgement.

EDITED BY ADMIN

Last edited by a moderator:
Your mate sounds like a knob.

Confidence is everything and that is what we need mostly

Just seen the highlights. Another Doherty special for his showreel. I thought the chance in the first half which flicked off the bar he was horribly caught short too. He didn't seem to have much idea where his man was.

Cut the homophobic stuff out. Not acceptable.

OK, I was only relaying his text.
Back on thread:
Are the Portuguese too 'lightweight' and are the rest of them mediocre championship players? Is it all zengas fault??
Discuss please.
BTW we're only a point behind super Mick McCarthy's Ipswich, he might be available soon. Shudder.

OK, I was only relaying his text.
Back on thread:
Are the Portuguese too 'lightweight' and are the rest of them mediocre championship players? Is it all zengas fault??
Discuss please.
BTW we're only a point behind super Mick McCarthy's Ipswich, he might be available soon. Shudder.

Are the Portugese lighweight? Not really. They are on the pitch to be the flair not be all out hard men. if you are expecting them to be diving into 40/60 challenges then you don't really get their game. They get stuck when they need to.
The Rest: Some are, some aren't but we knew that already. Some have upped their game under Walter.
Is it Zenga's fault? Today was. He was put a decent team out and then proceeded to play a formation that didn't suit them (Bod behind Dicko just took him out of the game for 45 mins)

I don't think Costa and Cav are lightweight at all - they are not the biggest players but definitely get stuck in.

When I've seen Tex he does seem a bit less keen on the physical side, but no more so than numerous other players who have been at wolves

The sad thing with this slump is that I think we do have the makings of a pretty decent team.

Been completely out of the loop today so to come on here and see we have been so poor is really gutting. With the quality we have in our squad mistakes should be compensated for with goals and at the moment it clearly isn't happening. I am a big advocate for a basic 4-4-2 in this league and I think we have the players to play it now. I really have taken to Zenga but if we carry on this way there is only one result. Back to basics next game please Walt!!

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Back