• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

What are you currently listening to....

Justice and St. Anger have so many parallels that go ignored.

Fucking awful production is the easiest to point out.

Fucking awful drum sound yes. The guitar sound on justice is archetypal hetfield scooped mids and sounds killer.

Secondly I defy you to find a bad song on justice. Eye of the beholder is the weakest track and still kicks fuck out of anything on st anger.

Thirdly there is barely a solo on st anger, whereas justice has some of kirk's finest shredding ever. There a no similarities between the two albums.

"Parallels" and "similarities" are very different things.

Okay. Semantics and sophistry at work here. What are these legendary parallels that cannot be ignored?

The awful drum sound you've already pointed out. I also strongly disagree with your assessment of the guitar production. It's paper thin on Justice even with the bass audible. On St. Anger it has that weird "is this even a guitar" sound. Both are grief/loss albums channeled in different ways, one in melodramatic political jargon and the other in melodramatic personal jargon.

Don't think I'm making a direct comparison between the two or saying they're of equal quality, but there are definitely parallels there. I quite like Justice.

Jason's lost bass is criminal, and that is the cause of the thin effect. There is no bass to round it but the guitar tone itself is actually brilliant. Turn it UP would be my advice!

St anger is ghastly as it sounds awfully under-produced. Barely above a demo. Justice has the opposite issue that Fleming Rasmussen over produced it. The best produced album in the Metallica back catalogue for me is actually ride the lightning. Crisp, clean and right in your fucking face beating the shit out of you as you listen.

Mind you I love ride the lightning.

Ride is a superb album if you forget about Trapped Under Ice (which I do).

Fade to Black and Creeping Death :wank:

Trapped Under Ice is a great track!!! I love it. After Whiplash and Bellz it was the first Metallitrack I learned to play.

Call of Ktulu is the best track on there. Escape is the weak(est) one.

Ktulu is their best instrumental track, IMO.

Ktulu v Orion is a HEAVYWEIGHT clash. What a tough call. I adore them both.

I remember teaching myself Orion on bass a few years back. That mellow interlude is a thing of real beauty.

And then the progression up a scale that builds to the next solo is just PERFECTION. The fourth solo isn't Kirk. It isn't James. It is Cliff. What a God he was.

Cliff-Burton-from-metallica-bass-player-picture.jpg

Sadly missed. He was a hero to me. Can't believe September 27th marked 28 years since he died

Motown 25. Yesterday. Today. Forever. 3 dvds.

Could be a long night :)

Roll the Bones by Rush. Not their best album, but still very good, and "Bravado" is an excellent track.

Been listening to a lot of Lucero and Ben Nichols today. Got briefly excited to see they are playing Birmingham next week. Unfortunately the Alabama one.

Jimi at Woodstock on BBC4. Proper genius. No one else oozes mojo and style like Jimi.

Back