• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

What are you currently listening to....

On a side note, I have been underwhelmed by Royal Blood tbh. I don't quite get the point of making your bass sound like a shit guitar and then running a clean bass track underneath! As a live spectacle I'm sure it works, and there's not denying the sound on the album is big, but it could be so much better. The whole album is the same tempo and lacks any real dynamic texture. There aren't any twists or turns and a lot of the riffery is formulaic and hampered by their self-imposed instrumental limitation. Victims of the hype. 6/10

I also think they are over hyped, however, I will say that their drummer is bloody talented. The whole playing the bass like a guitar thing annoys me too.

I wouldn't mind too much it if they were extremely innovative and unique with it, but they just aren't. It's just a high-frequency rasped distorted bass sound played an octave higher than "normal" with a standard clean bass track underneath. I'll give it a few more listens as there may be one or two cheeky riffs in there that I might have missed first couple of times around.

Only a couple of weeks now to this:

Amazing, that looks quality. I always felt that album was underrated but the reviews in that vid are spot on, it changed dance music. A friend of our family left a tape in our house in about 1995 with Dubnobasswithmyheadman on one side and Orbitals In Sides on the other. 11 yr old me was hooked for life

Seems to be £50 ish everywhere. For about 30 mins 1 day amazon had it for £30. I was in like flynn!
It should drop on me doormat around 6 october & I cannot wait.

I'd love them to do similar with Second Toughest In The Infants. Both Dubno & STITI have really low quality sound. A proper remastering (not just making it louder!) similar to what Mogwai did with Young Team would make me ecstatic!

Been listening to Virgin Steele tonight.

Slash featuring Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators - World on Fire

Superb album. Rock and fucking roll. Love it.

I've finally done something I've been promising a good mate of mine I'd do for years - giving Muse a proper listen.

He's leant me all their albums, I put them onto iTunes this morning and gave them a listen just now - Showbiz was up first (was it their first album? Can anyone list them in order?)

And it turns out I might well have been wrong about them for all these years - I actually really really like it.

Showbiz
Origin Of Symmetry
Absolution
Black Holes And Revelations
The Resistance
The 2nd Law

Origin Of Symmetry is the best one I reckon.

Thanks mate - I don't have that last one.

I saw them at Glastonbury and thought they were amazing, but the songs just weren't doing it for me. Superb guitar/keyboard work and I couldn't fault the show.

But it's good to give someone another try and be pleasantly surprised.

When Muse are good they are awesome. They can also be quite average and dull though.

Sunburn, Unintended and Muscle Museum are all great off Showbiz.

And then Plug In Baby (my fave song of 2001), Hyper Music, New Born and Feeling Good are all top drawer on the next album.

Dream Theater - A Change of Seasons

St. Anger

Yes - call me a cunt for giving it another go, but I thought I would.

Frantic is sort of alright. The title track is a decent track, I suppose. There is one great riff in Some Kind of Monster.

But God, it is truly appalling, even as a first listen in nearly a decade and as (as I am sure you all know) a massive Metallica fanboi. What a truly dreadful album.

And don't even get me started on the production and drum sound. Bob Rock hang your fucking head in shame.

All in all, I think I will stick with Lightning, Puppets, and Justice. That is when they were the greatest band on God's clean Earth. That Hetfield could actually write this cack just shows why his rehab was desperately needed.

I think Load is their best album. I had that album on solid repeat for at least a year.

Load is fascinating. Some really great stuff on there. Until it Sleeps. King Nothing. The Outlaw Torn. But it isn't Puppets. Not even close. Still love it though.

This thing on my headphones (yes I am perservering) is just ghastly though.

Load/ReLoad are criminally ignored albums.

Some great stuff on ReLoad too, definitely. Just always feels like sloppy seconds though.

I always think of them as one whole. Even if pieces like Outlaw Torn and Fixxxer are obvious companions.

I love Wasting My Hate off Load.

It's a good album, though the cover art is very disturbing.

Reload is fucking ace in places.

I love Devil's Dance. Bad Seed is also absolutely fucking tremendous. The two albums should have been released as a double. Especially as they played Devil's Dance at Donington 95 before Load came out.

IIRC they were meant to be released as a double LP.

Back