• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Welcome back Benik Afobe

I too was impressed with his cameo against Sheffield United and that, with his buzzing attitude, I am more than willing to see what he has to offer in the remainder of the season. He may not be Aboubakar or Andre Silva but people seem to have forgotten just how good his record was for us in his first spell and our team is much better now too

Tbf as much as I like Vinny Abou, he's much more Afobe than Mir/Leo. I'm a bit surprised that hasn't come up more; he's not at all a false 9 the way Leo is.

If we go up then Silva will be a Wolves player before the World Cup and Afobe will be at Bournemouth.

I'm still not convinced that massively overhauling the squad this summer is the right way to go.

I'm still not convinced that massively overhauling the squad this summer is the right way to go.

It absolutely is if it's done right. It didn't harm us last summer, did it?

No, but we knew already that it was absolutely necessary.

I'm not so sure we will, but a massive upgrade up top is an absolute given. Assuming the same formation in need of priority I'd go:
RWB
CF
LWB
RCH/LCH with Boly as the other
CM with Neves as the other
GK

I just think it's wildly harsh on any of this team to go replacing them after the season we're having. RWB and ST I can just about be okay with.

I dunno, probably just too sentimental for my own good, but I think there's actually something to the idea that the team that takes you up can keep you up.

Speaking of CBs, Nicolas N'Koulou is having a good time at Torino but they probably can't afford to make that loan permanent. A back three would suit him pretty damn well...

I don't think merely keeping us up will be the target though, if it were I'd agree with you.
The other thing is sentimentality ultimately amongst other mistakes cost Mick his job. We have had 2 opportunities to establish ourselves in the PL, the first time Jack pulled up the rug / Jones blew the budget in the Championship. The second Mick stayed too loyal/signed wankers/we didn't pay the wages. I don't want or believe we will make a 3rd mistake.

I don't think merely keeping us up will be the target though, if it were I'd agree with you.

Personally I think the first year staying up has to be the target. We can worry about the Champions League from there.

Personally I think the first year staying up has to be the target. We can worry about the Champions League from there.
I've added to my post Alan, but there is a difference between staying up and not being in trouble. This year is an anomaly because anyone from 9th downwards isn't safe in February, but ordinarily if you were between 9th and 12th at this stage of the season you'd be comfortable. I think that's what we will be targeting next year, not Europe, although I will still caveat that with IF we go up. Ultimately if we were to finish 4th from bottom it wouldn't be a disaster, but unlike Huddersfield and Brighton this year or our other 4 seasons in the PL it won't be the target.

Yeah, no doubt about the sentimentality biting Mick in the ass. Think these players are a different class to any of Mick's old favorites but only time will tell for sure.

We will at least be in the top 10 next season. Any talk of just staying up being Fosun's priority in 18/19 is well wide of the mark

I just think it's wildly harsh on any of this team to go replacing them after the season we're having. RWB and ST I can just about be okay with.

RWB you can just about be okay with? Doherty will get ripped to shreds in the Premier League and offer even less going forward, he MUST be replaced. Bonatini, while having a great season, has never played at that level and the jury will be out on him (if he's still here), Mir is even less of a quantity for top flight football and Afobe has already failed in the top flight. Arguments could also be made for upgrading on Bennett, Douglas, and maybe even Saiss.

I dunno, probably just too sentimental for my own good, but I think there's actually something to the idea that the team that takes you up can keep you up.

Name one promoted club who's ever done that.

While I'd be happy just to stay up there and build on it, I think Fosun's ambition will have them aiming far higher. Whether that happens or not remains to be seen but I doubt they'll be happy with scraping survival in 17th place.

Staying up, or finishing 17th, will be the absolute bare minimum Fosun would expect next season. I don't think they will look at finishing 17th and go "job done, congratulations everyone"

Talk of Champions League or Europa qualification through the league is too ambitious for next season (dependant on how much investment there is, we chuck £200m at it then crack on!) but my aim would be Top 10 and proper run at one of the cups.

RWB you can just about be okay with? Doherty will get ripped to shreds in the Premier League and offer even less going forward, he MUST be replaced. Bonatini, while having a great season, has never played at that level and the jury will be out on him (if he's still here), Mir is even less of a quantity for top flight football and Afobe has already failed in the top flight. Arguments could also be made for upgrading on Bennett, Douglas, and maybe even Saiss.

Name one promoted club who's ever done that.

While I'd be happy just to stay up there and build on it, I think Fosun's ambition will have them aiming far higher. Whether that happens or not remains to be seen but I doubt they'll be happy with scraping survival in 17th place.
The record breaking Reading side kept pretty much the same squad and finished 8th.

I'm not suggesting we should do the same, but there is a precedence, Burnley haven't hugely overhauled their squad either.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I imagine Fosun will look to bring in 2 or 3 big names like Neves and Jota from this season and then we’ll make another couple of lower key signings.

I don't think there will be dramatic change, 3-4 key signings initially to add to a very decent settled side. It will be interesting to see how Afobe does I still think he is potentially very good but has to really show in the remaining games or we will be looking for far better.

Our main problem IMO is our wingbacks, both have been great this season and will be good backup but defensively I don't think Douglas or Doc will be good enough for the prem and I think Bennetts ability on the ball will mean we will need another Boly standard CB.

I also really want to see a run with Norris in goal, we potentially have a very very good goalkeeper there and it could mean we don't need to replace Ruddy.

I wouldn’t even attempt to second guess what Fosun have planned.

I wouldn’t even attempt to second guess what Fosun have planned.

This. Talk of Andre Silva already and I would think you could add all sorts of players to that. Players most of us could only dream of in a Wolves shirt up till this season.

Back